Wedding 911

Venue made a mistake-changing time and cutting time short 5 weeks before event

Need advice ASAP. I'll preface this by saying that we booked the wedding on June 28, 2014 -we decided to do this last minute :) I have since sent out invitations, booked the DJ, photographer, hair/makeup. Today, which is 5 weeks before our event on August 16, 2014. The venue (we are doing both ceremony and cocktail hour/reception there) called to tell me that the person I booked with was recently let go and that they are just seeing my contract now as it was in his office and he had not put the event on the board. As an aside, they took the $1000 credit card deposit upon booking and I received a notice for my next payment from the bookkeeper in a letter dated July 2. The woman apologized profusely and said the date is available, but that the times would not work and that I would have to move my ceremony location (there are two-one is nicer-on the property). On contract: 12:30pm invite 1pm ceremony 1:30 -6:30 cocktail/reception. Offer: 11:30am invite, 12noon ceremony, 12:30-5pm cocktail/reception. This means doing everything (including getting ready) an hour earlier PLUS we lose a half hour off the party. She has offered to pay for re sending invites (I made the first set myself and did all the work-won't be doing that again), and said she'll offer us some other things to make up for it. We are meeting with her tomorrow to discuss. My questions is: What should I reasonably ask for?? We were thinking the following. Please let me know if this seems fair or if we should be asking for more/less. -invitations completed by a company (she already offered this) - a partial refund per person proportionate to the half hour lost (actually want to round up- we're paying $75+tax for 85-100ppl, proportion would be $6.75 off - thinking to ask for $8/pp refund) -add food extras to account for inconveniences- time change and loss of preferred ceremony location ~add raw bar to cocktail hour (groom loves raw oysters and shrimp) ~add Viennese table to dessert time (bride loves desserts) Thank you for your help in advance!! Theresa

Re: Venue made a mistake-changing time and cutting time short 5 weeks before event

• I personally think asking for the discount AND those extras is a bit greedy. I realize it's a huge inconvenience, but the extras you are asking for are pretty pricey.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Need advice ASAP. I'll preface this by saying that we booked the wedding on June 28, 2014 -we decided to do this last minute :) I have since sent out invitations, booked the DJ, photographer, hair/makeup. Today, which is 5 weeks before our event on August 16, 2014. The venue (we are doing both ceremony and cocktail hour/reception there) called to tell me that the person I booked with was recently let go and that they are just seeing my contract now as it was in his office and he had not put the event on the board. As an aside, they took the $1000 credit card deposit upon booking and I received a notice for my next payment from the bookkeeper in a letter dated July 2. The woman apologized profusely and said the date is available, but that the times would not work and that I would have to move my ceremony location (there are two-one is nicer-on the property). On contract: 12:30pm invite 1pm ceremony 1:30 -6:30 cocktail/reception. Offer: 11:30am invite, 12noon ceremony, 12:30-5pm cocktail/reception. This means doing everything (including getting ready) an hour earlier PLUS we lose a half hour off the party. She has offered to pay for re sending invites (I made the first set myself and did all the work-won't be doing that again), and said she'll offer us some other things to make up for it. We are meeting with her tomorrow to discuss. My questions is: What should I reasonably ask for?? We were thinking the following. Please let me know if this seems fair or if we should be asking for more/less. -invitations completed by a company (she already offered this) - a partial refund per person proportionate to the half hour lost (actually want to round up- we're paying $75+tax for 85-100ppl, proportion would be $6.75 off - thinking to ask for $8/pp refund) -add food extras to account for inconveniences- time change and loss of preferred ceremony location ~add raw bar to cocktail hour (groom loves raw oysters and shrimp) ~add Viennese table to dessert time (bride loves desserts) Thank you for your help in advance!! Theresa

The biggest issue is your date.  They have managed to maintain that for you.  Although the changes may not be ideal, I don't really see them as earth shattering.  Your ideas seem excessive to me.  They have already agreed to reprint invitations and absorb the cost of the mailing.  I would wait to see what the venue offers you.  Some upgrades to your original food and beverage choices might be suggested.  Beyond that, I don't see why they would reduce your costs to the extent you suggest for a 30 minute time differential.
  • I also think you guys have gone overboard on what you think you should ask for.  Either ask for a partial pp refund OR some kind of upgrade, but not both.  You can go from the bride they really want to go the extra mile for to the greedy bride who is taking advantage of the situation.  The latter won't garner you anyone's empathy or consideration.
  • Thank you all for your help and input, I think the initial shock of the changes with all the work I've put in through this short window of time made me go a little off the deep end. Thanks for bringing me back to Earth. I had a terrible migraine today and so we had to postpone the meeting, but hearing from you all was very helpful.
  • My timing had to be changed because of an ordinance passed, moving everything up one hour, because parties can't go past 10pm now. They offered to refund us so we could look elsewhere, or discount something of our choosing and they gave us a list of ideas of what they could do. Some were upgrades, others were discounts on what we already had. We ended up getting 50% off our hosted bar! I was really surprised they offered that, but apparently they had lost a handful couples. But, since they seem to already have a lot of business, and one account isn't that big of a deal, I would ask, in addition to the invites, ONE thing you guys would really like, they aren't going to give in to a whole list.
  • I personally don't think you are asking for too much.  You do have a contract that says you get X and now they are backing out of it.  I recommend you ASK for what you have listed.  I would not demand it.  You will never get it all if you don't ask for it.  They may say no and then you can scale back some to keep things civil and have a good working relationship.  Just my opinion.
  • Personally, I would see what they offer. They are in breach of contract. If your contract was signed before the other event's contract then you should not be the one getting bumped. I would probably ask for a flat rate credit, maybe $1500, but that's me.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    So what happened? What did they offer? What did you ask for? What did you recieve?

• Need advice ASAP. I'll preface this by saying that we booked the wedding on June 28, 2014 -we decided to do this last minute :) I have since sent out invitations, booked the DJ, photographer, hair/makeup. Today, which is 5 weeks before our event on August 16, 2014. The venue (we are doing both ceremony and cocktail hour/reception there) called to tell me that the person I booked with was recently let go and that they are just seeing my contract now as it was in his office and he had not put the event on the board. As an aside, they took the $1000 credit card deposit upon booking and I received a notice for my next payment from the bookkeeper in a letter dated July 2. The woman apologized profusely and said the date is available, but that the times would not work and that I would have to move my ceremony location (there are two-one is nicer-on the property). On contract: 12:30pm invite 1pm ceremony 1:30 -6:30 cocktail/reception. Offer: 11:30am invite, 12noon ceremony, 12:30-5pm cocktail/reception. This means doing everything (including getting ready) an hour earlier PLUS we lose a half hour off the party. She has offered to pay for re sending invites (I made the first set myself and did all the work-won't be doing that again), and said she'll offer us some other things to make up for it. We are meeting with her tomorrow to discuss. My questions is: What should I reasonably ask for?? We were thinking the following. Please let me know if this seems fair or if we should be asking for more/less. -invitations completed by a company (she already offered this) - a partial refund per person proportionate to the half hour lost (actually want to round up- we're paying $75+tax for 85-100ppl, proportion would be $6.75 off - thinking to ask for $8/pp refund) -add food extras to account for inconveniences- time change and loss of preferred ceremony location ~add raw bar to cocktail hour (groom loves raw oysters and shrimp) ~add Viennese table to dessert time (bride loves desserts) Thank you for your help in advance!! Theresa
    What does this mean? 11:30 am invite, 12 pm reception?  If that means that you're telling guests that the ceremony starts at 11:30 but it actually starts at 12 pm that's rude and inappropriate.  If it means something else, please explain.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards