Ohio-Cleveland

Reviews and tips from 6/7/2014 wedding...

Ceremony- St Joseph's Church Strongsville.  Typical Catholic ceremony.  The wedding coordinators at the church were helpful.

Reception- Briarwood Golf Club.  I would recommend Briarwood for others.  However, they say the room fits 200.  Nope, we had 155 and you could just easily get through tables.  We even had the bridal party table on the dance floor and tore it down after dinner and space was still just enough.  Also, guests in the southwest corner of the room complained of the heat and glare from the sun setting.  Food was catered by Bucci's and it was delicious!  Try there celery seed dressing, garlic butter, and scalloped potatoes.  Yum.  The scenery was very nice.  We were even allowed to take golf carts out on the greens to take some pictures.  The outdoor bar and patio were a hit.  The dance floor is a little on the small size.

Bakery- Rudy's Streusel in Parma.  What a cutie Eugenia is.  I was a little concerned after our second meeting with her.  She didn't remember meeting with us prior and tried to charge us another deposit.  She ended up finding our paperwork and all was well.  We gave her the basics of what we wanted with some ability to be creative.  And boy was our cake beautiful.  Simple and elegant, just how we wanted it.  And it tasted great too, we had carrot cake and a white cake with a chocolate fudge cream.  Looking forward to getting our one year anniversary cake next year!

Block of Hotel Rooms- Holiday Inn Independence.  Don't reserve rooms here.  The worst vendor we worked with.  Very poor communication, even after multiple complaints to their corporate office.  We had a lot of out of town guests and chose them based on cost of the room and their transportation services.  They would not allow us to purchase additional shuttle rides.  So thankful to the professionalism by CTS transportation who we used to ensure our guests could party and not have to drive back to the hotel.  The hotel has a nice bar.  We wanted to have some snacks for our guests for after the reception.  There kitchen closed at 11, they refused to make up some cold snacks ahead of time, they refused to let us have pizza ordered in and served at the bar and they refused for us to even bring a bag of chips into the bar.  They actually threaten to kick my husband out of the hotel if he brought any outside food into the bar.  We spent alot of money at the after party too.

Dress- Dora's bridal.  I would highly recommend for a more personalized wedding dress shopping experience.  They are a smaller shop so it was not intimidating at all.  Each time I went in, it was just me and no other brides.  They actually picked my dress out.  As I was heading back to the dressing room, the sales women said she wanted me to try on a dress.  It was nothing like any of the other dresses I picked out and not really what I was looking for.  I agreed.  I got the "feeling" before it was even up to my waist.  They did a la carte alterations there.  Expensive but well done.  I ordered all of my accessories from Etsy.  I also always envisioned myself having a bird cage veil.  Family and friends tried to talk me out of it.  I stuck with what I wanted and it was perfect.   I also got that from Etsy too.

Florist- $9.99 Roses and More.  Amazing find.  She is retired and does some weddings out of her home.  Such a sweetheart.  She listened to what I wanted, told me when things wouldn't work, gave me ideas based on my vision and really knows her flowers.  And she texts... which is such a time saver.  I actually got a text from her the day prior to the wedding with an issue with our centerpieces.  I had made tall wood candlesticks and a ball of flowers was to go on top.  The weight of the flowers was too heavy to put on top on the candlestick.  She fixed the broken candlestick and assured me they would be perfect for the day of.  She just had to make some adjustments to how many flowers and the type of flower in the centerpiece.   And they were perfect for the day of.  She even texted me the morning of with pictures of the church arrangements and bouquets.  And very reasonably priced.  I would caution using white hydrangeas in bouquets, they didn't hold up for the duration of the day.  The roses and anemone did well though.

Limo- Mr A1 Limo.  One of the cheapest prices we got for a limo.  We had the Lincoln Navigator SUV limo.  Everything was great.  We took lunch and a cooler of beer on board and had a great time.  The limo driver called the day prior to introduce himself.  I did let him know our plan was to not have a receiving line at church.  We wanted to walk through the line of people with bubbles, hop in the limo and drive to the other side of the building to get out for pictures.  We only had 30 minutes after the ceremony for pictures at the church.  He let person after person come say hi to us in the limo (despite the lets go look from me multiple times).  We ended up only having 15 minutes for pictures at the church.  No other issues though.

DJ-  DJ Kyro.  Amazing.  He did a great job of reading the crowd and playing music for a wide variety of ages.  The dance floor was packed all night.  Our first dance was a song we pulled from a you tube video.  He was able to format it and improve the audio on it.  He also blended a few songs for us such as the father daughter dance when we went from a nice Celine Dion song to some Watermelon Crawl!

Photographer- Alevtina Photography.  Also amazing.  They are a husband wife team.  She is the main photographer.  Sweetest people ever.  And good at what they do.  I haven't seen the proofs yet, just a few on her camera but they were beautiful.  She was with me from the salon to probably 9:30PM that night at the reception.  She took close to 6000 pictures total that day.  I created a photography pintrest board.  She looked at them and recreated all of the pictures I wanted.  She gave us recommendations on locations in case of rain.  She took us out for some sunset pictures.  We were tired of all the smiling by 5PM.  But I know it will be worth it when we see the pictures.

Hair and Makeup- Cory's Salon and Spa Middleburg Hts.  Wendy was awesome to work with.  We did trials for both hair and makeup.  I told her the things that were most important to me.  She gave me suggestions to make both even better.  Would highly recommend her.  My only concern with Cory's was that they had 3 wedding parties that morning in their smaller sized salon.  My girls and the girls in another wedding party were all getting hair and makeup.  There were only 2 makeup chairs.  There were also two photographers running all over the place.  It was a little too chaotic.  We also got out late do to airbrush machine issues.  That left us only 15 minutes to get dressed before we had to leave for the church.  The complimentary mimosas were a nice touch though.

Photography location- Botanical Gardens.  I always dreamed of having my pictures there.  We were given a 1 hour slot.  I specifically asked about being 15 min early or late and if that was okay, and it was okay.  We were 15 min late and boy were they cranky about it.  They were only going to give us 45 min for pictures and followed us around the park like we were children.  It made me anxious and probably my only Bridezilla type moments through this whole wedding and wedding planning process.  The rep from the gardens did apologize to me at the end and gave us an extra 15 min.  I hope the pictures there are worth the stress.

Travel Agent-  Landfall travels.  We worked with Becky who took the stress away from planning our Hawaii honeymoon.  It was a perfect trip (minus the emergency landing due to electrical problems in a plane on the way there and the girl detoxing in the seat next to me on the way home.  LOL).  Do make sure the airlines know you are honeymooners.  We got upgraded seats on one flight along with a bottle of wine.  Free cocktails on a connecting flight.  The only bad part of using a travel agent is that we lost our hotel reward points even though we specifically gave her the account numbers before booking.

Just some suggestions to help make the day less stressful.  A day of coordinator is a must in my book.  I didn't think I needed one until a friend's wedding and she (the bride) was lighting candles as guests were arriving to the reception.  She was a lifesaver.  We could not get in to the hall the day prior to decorate for the reception.  Table linens didn't even arrive until 3PM and the reception was at 5PM.  She set the whole room up for us.  She made sure our parents knew where they had to be during the reception so they didn't miss the first dance or cake cutting.

I heard lots of brides say the day goes so fast and they miss so much.  If I could change one thing about my day, it would be to knock down the guest list.  I felt like there were guests at the reception that I barely talked to or said just a quick hello.  I would have preferred a more intimate wedding with the ability to spend more time with everyone.

Last piece of advice... start pinning!  My wedding was planned mostly through pintrest.  I recommend staying off 2 months prior to the wedding.  Or you will be like me and 2 weeks prior working on getting pictures of parents and grandparents cutting their wedding cakes to go around our cake table.  LOL.  Way to close to the big day to be adding any extra projects!

Happy planning! 

Re: Reviews and tips from 6/7/2014 wedding...

• Oh yeah,  two more! 

Bridesmaid dresses- David's Bridal Strongsville.  No issues.  We pretty much did our own thing.  They didn't offer much support while we were there.  Dresses came in quick.  They offered free steaming a few days prior to the wedding for the girls.

Tuxes-American Commodore Strongsville.  Got a great deal.  Kelly was awesome to work with.  We pretty much told them what we wanted price wise and they did it.  We got the groom free, 2 ring bearers free and 20% off for all the guys.  And the guys looked awesome in their tuxes!

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I'm glad you had a good Briarwood experience!  We actually booked them initially.  Their website listed one cost but in person we were given another but didn't realize it until after we'd made the deposit.  Because a contract hadn't been signed yet, they refunded the money and we went elsewhere.  It is, indeed, a beautiful location but I agree that it's NOT for 200 people.  The only way that might be possible is if you don't utilize a dance floor and even then it'd be tight.  I think more like 125 is comfortable.
  • Alena and Don are so awesome. I'm still deciding what photos to frame because they took so many amazing ones. My mom is actually using them for her engagement photos and I might stop by to say hi.

Cory's was my salon when I lived in Cleveland - love those women so much!

Congrats! :)
    Anniversary

imagebam.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards