Wedding Reception Forum
Options

How to honor my parents in my wedding

My father recently passed away a few months ago so he won't be able to walk me and my mother passed when I was 21 what are so ideas on how to make them apart of it. I love them dearly and it would mean a lot to share it with them in spirit but I don't want it to be creepy or uncomfortable for my guest. Any ideas or suggestions will help thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How to honor my parents in my wedding

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your losses.  Hopefully your wedding can be a happy time!

Personally, I think it's best if memorials are quiet and private.  Some ideas other brides on here have done: tie a small picture or piece of jewelry from your parents into your bouquet; sew a handkerchief or piece of your mom's dress into the lining of your dress; play their favorite music; use their favorite flowers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Thank you. I like the idea of pinning something to my bouquet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter's petticoat has a heart sewn on, cut from her brother's shirt. She didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable, but wanted to have him near.
    (Addiecake put butterflies on an empty chair for her mom. Sometimes the empty chairs are sad to me, but somehow the butterflies seem hopeful and bright, instead.)
  • Options
    My father recently passed away a few months ago so he won't be able to walk me and my mother passed when I was 21 what are so ideas on how to make them apart of it. I love them dearly and it would mean a lot to share it with them in spirit but I don't want it to be creepy or uncomfortable for my guest. Any ideas or suggestions will help thanks!

I agree with the PP's advice to keep any memorials quiet and subtle.  Wearing or carrying something owned by or associated with the deceased, having food, drinks, decorations, or entertainment that they enjoyed, or giving them a tribute in a program are all nice ways to remember absent loved ones. 

Addie notwithstanding, many people do find empty chairs creepy or uncomfortable, so I wouldn't do this.
  • Options
    Yeah my original plan was to have a small table with a candle and there photo tucked away at the reception but was not sure if that was going to be over whelming for our guest or not. So I am very glad I reached out to everyone here :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your loss as well. If you do something like the table or anything that will be noticed by guests, I'd check with any aunts / uncles / siblings that may be sensitive. I agree with @JCbride2015‌ ... I like the idea of something on your bouquet.
  • Options
    My parents suggested the dance that is inclusive of everybody after the first/father daughter dance be dedicated to all those who couldn't be with us tonight, and to pick a song that reminds us of those who couldn't be in attendance, like you are my sunshine because my grandma and his step dad used to sing that to us as kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards