Not Engaged Yet
Options

Monday Questions

Re: Monday Questions

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Swazzle said:

1. Who is your favorite TV character ( it can be from a past or present show)?

Just because I'm currently watching it, I'm going to say Sheila from Rescue Me. She so adorably crazy!

2. Favorite literary character?

Grey. . . Yes, Christian Grey. . . MmmmMmm. . . So sad that they're going to put a face to a character that's supposed to be every woman's dream.

3. Favorite song right now?

Land Down Under by Men at Work has been stuck in my head ever since I heard it on Pandora two days ago. And I'm not complaining.

4. Are there any goals/plans you hope to accomplish by the end of the summer?

I want to summit Mount Adams. I did a smaller mountain earlier this season, and it was insanely scary, so it's taking a lot of guts to just go out and do it!

5. What are you reading right now?

Angela's Ashes, by Frank McCourt. . . It's a Pulitzer prize winner, so of course it's the most depressing thing I've EVER read.

6. Are you watching any good summer TV, if so what are you watching?

I got rid of TV to spend more quality time with Netflix.

7. Favorite summer dessert or ice cream flavor?

I've been eating approximately 10-20 otter pops a day.

8. What is bugging you today?

Boob sweat. It's too damn hot.

9. What was the last movie you watched?

Saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night. . . Not bad.

10.  Favorite place to go clothes shopping?

JC Penney? It sounds lame, but man, their stuff fits me well.

Not this woman. BLEH.

Co-signed :-)
    And co-co-signed. Christian Grey is a manipulative control freak. He is most definitely NOT every woman's dream. The screwed up relationships those books perpetuate are absolutely sickening.
    Co-signed, but Jamie Dornan is seriously pretty.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    RE: Christian Grey/50 Shades of Grey Yeah, no. Not my cup of tea. Those stories legitimately started out as Twilight fanfic, and the author changed the names when she publishing the books. Twilight was already poorly written (and by an English major no less! Blasphemous!), so I mean... Twilight fanfic sounds downright awful. But, for anyone wondering, that's why Christian Grey is so controlling and abusive. He's Edward with a new name.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've never read/seen either Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey, or even True Blood or any of that.  Anomaly of my generation for sure!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

Christian's not a dream because he's a control freak sex addict. . . He's a dream because here's this girl, straight out of college, who ends up having a handsome billionaire fall in love with her. He makes changes to become the guy she wants him to be, and after never being able to truly love, he finally finds it in her. . . You're telling me that if an insanely handsome billionaire was willing to do ANYTHING to get you to love him including working on his faults without being defensive, you wouldn't feel like you were in a fairy tale (not even considering flying you around the country to his luxurious houses in his private jet and helicopter, giving you his credit card to shop for whatever you want, etc.)? It has nothing to do with the sex.

• Options

Christian's not a dream because he's a control freak sex addict. . . He's a dream because here's this girl, straight out of college, who ends up having a handsome billionaire fall in love with her. He makes changes to become the guy she wants him to be, and after never being able to truly love, he finally finds it in her. . . You're telling me that if an insanely handsome billionaire was willing to do ANYTHING to get you to love him including working on his faults without being defensive, you wouldn't feel like you were in a fairy tale (not even considering flying you around the country to his luxurious houses in his private jet and helicopter, giving you his credit card to shop for whatever you want, etc.)? It has nothing to do with the sex.

He is abusive, bottom line. He doesn't "work on his faults" AT ALL. He makes her do things that make her uncomfortable ALL. THE. TIME., and if she doesn't conform to what HE wants, she gets punished for it. 

The fact that you would be willing to excuse and allow abuse so that you could get to live in a fancy house & fly around on a private jet is sad. 

It boggles my mind that people actually believe that these books portray a healthy relationship. 

*******************************************************************************************

• Options

He is abusive, bottom line. He doesn't "work on his faults" AT ALL. He makes her do things that make her uncomfortable ALL. THE. TIME., and if she doesn't conform to what HE wants, she gets punished for it. 

The fact that you would be willing to excuse and allow abuse so that you could get to live in a fancy house & fly around on a private jet is sad. 

It boggles my mind that people actually believe that these books portray a healthy relationship. 

If anyone thinks the book portrays a healthy relationship, they should already be in counseling. I agree. It's messed up. Don't think that I think it's healthy, because I know it's not.

But hey, if it works for the female character, then I'm not gonna judge. I didn't write the books. I just enjoyed reading them.

• Options

FTFY

Any guy, no matter how rich, famous or attractive is worth it if the first words you use to describe him are "control freak sex addict".... 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Yeah, I find it intensely creepy. A young woman, fresh out of college, and all of a sudden, an older man becomes obsessed with her. No thanks.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options

And the female character is a poor representative for women everywhere. He manipulates her, takes advantage of her, and emotionally and physically abuses her. 

BDSM is one thing - and these books DO NOT properly represent a BDSM relationship. 
    Yea, since it's totally not fiction or anything. Harry Potter doesn't properly represent wizarding either! Blah blah blah. . .

New topic.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    phira said:

And the female character is a poor representative for women everywhere. He manipulates her, takes advantage of her, and emotionally and physically abuses her. 

BDSM is one thing - and these books DO NOT properly represent a BDSM relationship. 
    Yea, since it's totally not fiction or anything. Harry Potter doesn't properly represent wizarding either! Blah blah blah. . .

New topic.
    Um ...

Magic is fictional. Abusive relationships aren't. Presenting an abusive relationship as normal and even desirable is dangerous, even if the relationship in question is between fictional characters. You yourself are insisting that the relationship is romantic and something to be desired by real people.
    QFT.

ETA: I'm not even TOUCHING how horrifically written it is. How a publisher let some of that writing slide is beyond me. 

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    joy14bwjoy14bw member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I don't think the relationship was anything to dream about but I do believe it did help (edit* Some) REAL women spice up their sex lives.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    es14bw said:
    I don't think the relationship was anything to dream about but I do believe it did help (edit* Some) REAL women spice up their sex lives.
    Please explain? Because nearly every sex scene I read was about as vanilla as it gets. Do you mean "spice up" as in they actually had sex again versus no sex?

• Options
    es14bw said:
    Please explain? Because nearly every sex scene I read was about as vanilla as it gets. Do you mean "spice up" as in they actually had sex again versus no sex?
    What women? Who are these women? How sexually repressed do you have to be for that to be spicy? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    es14bw said:
    Yes that exactly what I mean. Everyone is different and turned on by different things. I'm not trying to say it did this for everyone. Obviously it was very controversial and many hated the book. I just personally know from talking to some girlfriends, that it helped get them in the mood.

• Options
    lennonkdc said:
    es14bw said:
    What women? Who are these women? How sexually repressed do you have to be for that to be spicy? 
    You'd be surprised....They are everyday women. Women at work in failing marriages. Single women who have been worked over by men. OR just women living in a fantasy of whatever crazy stuff they can think up because they are just bored with their life.

I'm no one to judge. I have my corks and issues so whatever floats your boat.

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    es14bw said: lennonkdc said: LaPeanut1018 said: es14bw said: I don't think the relationship was anything to dream about but I do believe it did help (edit* Some) REAL women spice up their sex lives. Please explain? Because nearly every sex scene I read was about as vanilla as it gets. Do you mean "spice up" as in they actually had sex again versus no sex? What women? Who are these women? How sexually repressed do you have to be for that to be spicy?  You'd be surprised....They are everyday women. Women at work in failing marriages. Single women who have been worked over by men. OR just women living in a fantasy of whatever crazy stuff they can think up because they are just bored with their life.

So bored with their lives that they desire to be in an emotionally manipulative and abusive relationship? So bored that they imagine themselves in the shoes of a woman who judges every woman she comes in contact with (oh wait, unless they are black and then they are her besties because
    she is not a racist), and who engages in relationships of convenience only (like her supposed BFF Kate...I mean really???). Or wait...are they SO BORED that they WANT someone to come in and control every single one of their actions against THEIR WILL all in the name of a pseudo BDSM relationship that in reality is 100% not BDSM and only reflects people's worst assumptions of it. So bored that they want a man to come in and shut up their objections/questions/reasonable doubts with sex? I could go on...but this is just crazy. I'll judge away because women who are holding this up as some sort of ideal or some sort of way to spice up their sex life need to seriously rethink their priorities. Oh, and then go out and find some not plagiarized literature of what was also an incredibly poorly written original novel.

• Options
    ^^ That I do not know. 
    I'm just saying you can't deny many loved the book because they decided to make it into a movie.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, just is what it is.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    es14bw said:
    lennonkdc said:
    es14bw said:
    You'd be surprised....They are everyday women. Women at work in failing marriages. Single women who have been worked over by men. OR just women living in a fantasy of whatever crazy stuff they can think up because they are just bored with their life.

So bored with their lives that they desire to be in an emotionally manipulative and abusive relationship? So bored that they imagine themselves in the shoes of a woman who judges every woman she comes in contact with (oh wait, unless they are black and then they are her besties because she is not a racist), and who engages in relationships of convenience only (like her supposed BFF Kate...I mean really???). Or wait...are they SO BORED that they WANT someone to come in and control every single one of their actions against THEIR WILL all in the name of a pseudo BDSM relationship that in reality is 100% not BDSM and only reflects people's worst assumptions of it. So bored that they want a man to come in and shut up their objections/questions/reasonable doubts with sex? I could go on...but this is just crazy. I'll judge away because women who are holding this up as some sort of ideal or some sort of way to spice up their sex life need to seriously rethink their priorities. Oh, and then go out and find some not plagiarized literature of what was also an incredibly poorly written original novel.

amen gif

• Options
    es14bw said:
    ^^ That I do not know. 
    I'm just saying you can't deny many loved the book because they decided to make it into a movie.

So many people loved Mein Kampf that they turned it into a World War...I'm not saying the Nazi were right or wrong, just is what it is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lennonkdc said:
    es14bw said:
    ^^ That I do not know. 

So many people loved Mein Kampf that they turned it into a World War...I'm not saying the Nazi were right or wrong, just is what it is.

• Options
    lennonkdc said:
    es14bw said:
    ^^ That I do not know. 

Touche'

• Options

Not one word of this interests me. I want a man that is compatible for me, not someone that I have to change so it (hopefully but not likely) works out. 

I'll take my husband who makes under 6 figures and can't do any of those things over some douchebag that has to "get me to love him". 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards