Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Hydrangea Centerpieces & Bouquets

I have been looking into using Hydrangeas in my Centerpieces and bouquets. We are on a budget and with our wedding in August Hydrangeas are in season and less expensive. But I have been reading that they die very quickly. Has anyone ever used these in their wedding? Did they last or did you buy fake hydrangeas? I am thinking fake for Centerpieces but was hoping on real flowers for the bouquets. Has anyone used hydrangeas in their bouquets? Real or fake? What other flowers went well with the hydrangeas and keep the cost low? Thanks!

Re: Hydrangea Centerpieces & Bouquets

• Options
    I love hydrangeas and often buy them for the house.  As long as they have water, they often last up to 4 or 5 days for me.  They're actually pretty hardy flowers.

Try http://www.fiftyflowers.com for hydrangeas.  Their prices are pretty reasonable and other Knotties have had good experiences with them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    My daughter used them for her wedding.  They wilt very quickly, and require lots of water.  The bridesmaids' bouquets were wilted by the end of the reception, but nobody cared.  It is important that your florist knows how to handle them.
    Daughter's centerpieces consisted of one hydrangea bloom in a water filled vase from Hobby Lobby.  This sat on a round mirror, provided by the venue.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We used them for bouquets and center pieces and had vases for the bouquets. No issue and it was 100 degrees that day!
  • Options
    Alikat9614Alikat9614 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2014
    We will be using hydrangeas in both the bouquets and centerpieces. The centerpieces aren't an issue, since they will have water in the vases. The bouquets will be transported and kept in water until the last possible moment-- dried off when photos are taken and then the ceremony. The bouquets will be placed in vases on the cake table and sweetheart table at the reception with vases filled with water. Our florist recommended them because one stem takes up a lot of room and it's a good filler flower, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. ETA: we are using blue hydrangea with stargazer lilies and pink (stock) roses of whatever shade is readily available.
  • Options
    We've had huge success with hydrangeas for many occasions. When you get them, the stems have to be cut on a severe angle at the bottom and then split up the middle for about an inch. This allows more water to get into a very woody stem.  They are very romantic flowers and photograph like a dream.  Also, they work amazingly well with baby's breath if you need to fill in some bald spots and make an arrangement look fuller.  They are an economical flower that even an amateur can arrange successfully.
    Enjoy.
  • Options
    Get real ones.  Fake flowers can look really inexpensive.  In addition to the above vendor, ask your local grocery store if you can order some.  You'd be surprised how cheaply a place like Kroger or Costco can get flowers.  I know of people getting roses in bulk from Costco, not sure about hydrangeas.
  • Options
    I've cut hydrangeas from my garden and they usually last about 5 days before they start getting droopy. Granted, they're in a vase in my air-conditioned house- idk if that makes a difference.

If you're using a florist, they'll know how to cut them to make them last all day. If you're DIY-ing it, maybe do a practice run buying and leaving them out all day to see how they hold up. They're usually pretty sturdy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It depends on what color hydrangea you want to use. I had green in my bouquet and they were still great almost two weeks after the wedding. Talking to my florist the colored hydrangea last very nicely but white generally will start to wilt pretty quickly.
  • Options
    They will faster in direct sunlight. But even then, with enough water, they are often fine. If your florist soaks the actual bulb the evening before flowers are arranged, they will last longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards