November 2014 Weddings
Options

Dresses? Shoes? Veil?

Has everyone decided what they are going to wear?  Everyone have their dress?  Shoes?  Special underwear?  I find the "Attire and Accessories" board has a lot of general inquiries so I thought maybe we could add some dress talk on our board that allows a bit more detail and we can all share our experiences.

I'll go first!  :)

I was not a fan of dress shopping at all.  I was totally in love with mermaid gowns when I first started and it turned out I looked TERRIBLE in them.  It was really discouraging.  After trying on about a dozen of those, I started looking at other options but I was really losing steam and starting to get annoyed.  I found the appointment exhausting, even with my one Bridesmaid's support.  My mother booked an appointment at a local shop near her and I started looking into other types of dresses, like A-lines and Ball Gowns, the very dresses I swore I'd stay away from.  With my mother and two of my bridesmaids, we tried on every dress in my size at the store and I felt MUCH better.  I found my Ella Rosa A-Line dress.  I'm very happy with it, and so glad I don't have to worry about shopping for a dress anymore :)  I bought gold holographic heels to go with it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Dresses? Shoes? Veil?

• Options
    Has everyone decided what they are going to wear?  Everyone have their dress?  Shoes?  Special underwear?  I find the "Attire and Accessories" board has a lot of general inquiries so I thought maybe we could add some dress talk on our board that allows a bit more detail and we can all share our experiences.

Stuck in Box :(

You made me giggle when I read "special underwear" - silly little kid inside of me, and I totally agree with the attire board...lame! :)

My dress was pretty easy. I looked online at quite a few different styles, showed them to FI, and narrowed down my likes to 10, then kind of ranked those. They were mostly A-line dresses so when I went in I tried on my top 3 or 4 and then decided to try on 2 other styles, just to see how they looked on me. The dress I ended up choosing wasn't my top pick because of the beaded shoulders...but they're removable and I fell in love with that dress with them removed! It went from ranking a 4/5 to an 8/9 just because of the straps! I came home and talked to FI about it, showed him the pics, and we chose 2 more dresses to try on before making my final decision. Went back that weekend, tried them on, still loved the original choice, they put the veils on me, he said that was it - the whole look -  and bought it for me. I have 2 veils plus a hair comb thingy. I was going to wait on the veils but it was half off sale and we both loved how the two looked together with the dress so we went for it!
    I dread looking for shoes. I've decided that I'm going with flats because FI and I are the same height and I don't want to tower over him and since I wear a uniform for work, so I'm never in heels and most comfortable wearing tennis shoes on weekends, my wedding day is not the time for me to bust out the heels! FI and I have joked with each other that he can wear platforms and I'll get some heels, and if he were cool with it I would totally do it, but I don't see that happening! I'm going to go with white, silver, gray, or black shoes.
    As far as undergarments, I really want what I had when I tried on my dress. It will cost more than just going to the store to buy one, but I've tried those on in previous years and they just don't do what I want them to! Since it's not a hip hugging dress, I'm going to have to get that poofy, fluffy slip/skirt thingy to give the bottom shape (and then turn around and sell it or something).
    I really hate shopping and I've worked 33.5 hours (11 hours over a normal week) in the past 3 days and have two more 7.5 hour shifts, if I work only my scheduled hours, all standing up, so my feet are killing me. I don't have kids this weekend so Sat., while FI is at work, would be a good day to get out to try on shoes...if I can still stand!

I'm going to add to @goldchocobo's questions: Has anyone decided if you're going to buy special lingerie for your wedding night?

I kind of want to get a baby doll or some new bra/panty set but I'm so unsure about it. I've never owned sexy lingerie - ever! I don't see the point of it (it's either hidden by clothes or you end up just taking it off) but on the other hand it's a special occasion. I see both sides on TV. Either you go into the bathroom to change and when you come out he's asleep or doesn't notice/care, and you're totally let down, or you put it on and he can't get his hands off of you, and you might be getting out of it faster than you put it on (I would hope for the second, but actually have it on for a few minutes so the purchase seems more worth it). FI and I live and sleep together and sex is old news to us. We walk around in our underwear or naked when the kids aren't here. He likes the boy shorts style underwear on women and I own 1 pair, that I had before we met. I know there are some cute/sexy ones out there, and am leaning towards getting something like that with a matching bra, but when we leave the wedding, I don't see myself changing out of my dress and putting on a bra, if we're just staying in, but I could wear the new undies all day, or change into just those, and he would notice! Our reception is ending at 8 or 9pm, so there is a chance we might go out that evening. Yay for one more thing to overthink and stress about!
  • Options
    lol!  See?  You were thinking of special underpants too, April!  I purchased a strapless bra as a backup but I will be requesting to have cups sewn in.  The bra was something I was fretting about so I'm glad I got it taken care of.  I will be wearing panties from victoria's secret that say "bride" or something on the ass....  It's my 'something' blue.  It's the only lingerie I intend to purchase.

I have a garter I bought before the garter toss was decided against.  I bought it from ETSY.  It is super cute.

I love your dress @April192002!  I don't have a picture of me in mine.  But here is the LINK to the style.  I'd post it here but FI doesn't want to see it at all and I don't want to run the risk of him glancing over here and seeing it if I'm on this thread or something.  I even have several dresses pinned on Pinterest to throw him off.  All he knows is that it is a corset back, it's iovry, it's long, and it is strapless.  But hell, I just described 3/4's of the wedding dress selection pool.

Which brings me to a NEW question for everyone: Does your FI want it to be a surprise?  FI wants nothing to do with this dress.  He covers his ears and is like "lalalalalalalala" when I even mention it.  I was indifferent before, but I am really into the "First Look" and I would like it be a surprise as well now.  

ETF: "First look" not "Fist Look"  Yikes

• Options
    Fi's seen the dress and veils but I'm not trying them on for him again. It was back in Jan when we purchased it so it will be like new....plus hair, makeup and accessories.
  • Options

@goldchocobo Now that I'm not at work and read your original post on my laptop (not my phone) I totally get what you meant. Wow, I feel retarded! Oh well!

I was searching for lingerie and came across this (if the link doesn't work, try copy/paste...and I'll be editing it if is doesn't come up right the first time): http://www.sears.com/elegant-moments-neon-nites-lycra-bra-top-and/p-0000000000000002129700000000000000002004P?selectedFilters=Style|Pajama sets\&prdNo=13

• Options
    Oooo!  The link took me to a Sears general site, but I managed to look it up and it looks comfy and very cute!

• Options
    Just found my shoes (as in I haven't even left the parking lot yet and had to post) and with tax was just under $26!
  • Options
    I have a vision in my head, but I haven't found it yet. I am looking for a platinum dress, but being pregnant with a small alterations budget is making it tough. I can't even think about shoes and a veil yet lol
  • Options
    @MommyKristin88‌ Are you looking into flowy maternity bridesmaid dress or are you thinking of something a little more fitting to show off the baby? I'd probably forget the veil all together. I originally wasn't going to have a veil, or 2, but they dressed it up and it worked beautifully.

In my shopping adventures today I also stopped in at a jewelry store and looked at wedding bands. FI and I are going to head over there this evening or tomorrow and possibly purchase one that looks gorgeous with my engagement ring. They don't have a huge selection in store of black diamonds so I'm going to look at the Onyx rings as well. The regular diamonds are too bright and take away from the engagement ring.
  • Options
    @April192002‌ My original plan was something fitted, but that's been tough to find within budget. So, now I'm hoping for a bridesmaid dress, A-line with an empire waist.

David's Bridal had some options, but the color is wrong. I don't see myself in white or off-white, and that's all I found. My city has a bunch of bridal shops, so I plan to visit as many as possible next weekend.

After thinking about it more, I'll probably just forget the veil, and just wear a tiara. That seems more my style anyway.
  • Options
    We bought our wedding bands today. I just hope we don't forget them in 4 months, 9 days! I was thinking about keeping them in my shoe box, but watch me forget my shoes.
  • Options
    April192002April192002 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited July 2014
    So, I don't want to share it to anyone until the wedding so I HAVE to share my ring here (FI was so kind to let me borrow his finger for the combined shot)...
  • Options
    @April192002 those are so gorgeous!  Doesn't it feel good to have the rings out of the way?  I admit, I got mine in like September of last year or something.  I think I ordered the rings before my dress, LOL

I sent my invites out (mine have to be done earlier because the rooms get released September 3 instead of in October).  We just need to give the best man his and my MOH needs hers but other than that they are done.

• Options
    KLee17KLee17 member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary

So glad you started this thread!

I had a fairly easy time buying my dress, even though I wasn't really looking forward to trying on a ton of dresses. My sister and I went to David's and I tried on about 10 dresses, but kept coming back to the first dress. It turned out, that dress was discontinued and they had one left, so I bought it that day! I did buy shoes already; they're simple peep-toe, satin, one inch heels. (Also from David's). I'm opting not to have veil, but I do want to have a sparkly hair clip or comb, just haven't gotten it yet. I do still need to go shopping for a bra and shapewear. I also wanted to do blue underwear.

• Options
    I have my dress already too... I had tried on the trumpet dresses and strapless dresses, and liked them... I even ended up winning a bid on ebay for one!!! I won it for $14.50!! The shipping was 55 ... It was pretty ... But ended up not liking it... Me and my boss (more like my best friend - I have worked for them for 15 years now so we are family) we went to David's bridal when they had their $99 sale... I tried the dress on, one style I never was considering at all!!! The high lows, it is off the shoulder dress, just enough beads on it, ivory colored and it is gonna show off my boots!! Well.. She purchased it for me, the whole thing, bra and all.. Needless to say, I cried... I purchased my boots from country outfitter ... They are perfect, for the type of wedding we are having.. No tux for my man... A new pair of boots, jeans, and a vest and shirt.. I hope it all comes together good... I didn't want or need a long train, so the back is just enough, it flows as I walk... I saw davids bridal has a really cute - special underwear ... Lol And no, my man has not seen my dress!!
  • Options

@Cayjungrll, that dress seems perfect on you and for that kind of country wedding. Boots are not my personal preference, but I think they look great on you and with the ivory dress (probably would like it less in the white).

@goldchocobo, I had a dress similar on my list, and I think I might have tried it on, it just didn't quite work on me. I think it's so beautiful.

• Options
    Thank you... April192002.. I appreciate that.. I am so not a high heel person at all.. And with us getting married under a tree.. It's gonna be nice .. I'm getting a little nervous about it. I am planning on buying a denim jacket too... My "girls" are gonna have them too..
  • Options

@cayjungrll I would definitely wear shoes that were made for getting dirty if I were getting married outside on the ground.

So I bought my bra and slip yesterday and HAD to try my dress on with it...so FI helped me in it all last night and it fits perfectly! There are 2 weird things that are going on with my left boob (with the dress, not my body) - the top of the smooth part (can't describe it a different way) is rippled because it needs to be "tightened"/taken in about 1/8" and underneath is a weird little "air pocket" that I couldn't get rid of no matter how much I squeezed the side of the dress (all it did was shift). I'm sure this is totally against everyone's beliefs, but I think I'm going to skip alterations and have my sister (who has a fashion degree in costume design) just hand stitch the smooth part to make it lay flat - or I might just leave it. The crazy thing is that my left boob is the slightly larger one of the two, so I would think it'd be the right one with fitting issues.

Just about 3-4 months to go for us! I can't wait to see everyone's wedding pictures!!! And possibly some super awesome stories of kicking people out! :)

• Options
    April192002, I bet your sister will fix it fine!! Luckily, my boss is a seamstress .. Lol but she told me not to lose any more weight... Cause she doesn't want to do alterations ..lol
  • Options
    Sorry I'm a little late to the party!

I have my dress, but it is still sitting at the salon... Mostly because I don't know where I am going to go for alterations yet.  And the salon is a little over 2 hours away.  And I am kind of lazy, apparently.

I do have my shoes.. I got them from ModCloth back in the early spring and I LOVE them!  I am just going to bring some flats that I already own in case my feet start hurting during the reception.  

I have no idea what I'm going to be doing for underthingies.  I might get festive and get blue undies or something.  I am not going to need a bra to my knowledge (which I am SO EXCITED about!), so that is taken care of.

I got my veil off of eBay for $3.50.  I still need to tinker with it to see if I like it.. but I'm going to be visiting with my sister and BFF next weekend, so I'm probably going to see if they'll give me opinions on it.  It's a birdcage veil, so it's not difficult to transport.  I also want to get a fancy clip for it, but I need to see if the veil will work first.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@hikebikebemerry Better late than never! :) You're so lucky that you probably aren't going to need a bra. I got the corset style, because that's what I tried on when the dress fit perfect, and it adds boobs (and I can use all the help I can get!). What are you thinking about doing to your veil? Have a pic, or stock pic, of your dress? I'm super curious!

• Options
    @April192002

I seriously am so excited about being braless.  'Tis a luxury I am rarely awarded in public.

For my veil I need to figure out how to pin it because it covers more of my face than others that I have tried on.  If there is too much fabric, I might take the fabric off of the clip, cut some away, and resew it on a new clip or the same clip.  I am excited that the minimal financial investment in the veil really gives me a lot of wiggle room to mess around with how it will look.

My dress is Luna Novias Exito; for some reason I'm not bonkers for it on the model, but I love it on me!  (Perhaps because the skirt is poofier looking on the model and more flowy in person?)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That lace is so pretty! Again, I can't wait to see everyone's wedding pics!!!
  • Options
    @hikebikebemerry, my god girl, lookit that!  It's amazing!

• Options
    Speaking of dresses, I have a FMIL story and I didn't want to clog up the boards with another thread so I think I'll just put it here.

My FMIL and I have nothing in common.  Perhaps this is why FI loves me so strongly...  

- I am sarcastic, reserved, introverted (ya wouldn't know it on here) and somewhat rational.  I am learning to be humble (I am somewhat stubborn so I am learning to step around that a bit) and trying to look outside my self to understand the whole picture.  It doesn't come easy, but I try when I can.  I am also my own harshest critic.

- FMIL is highly reactive, opinionated, and critical.  I will hear her rant about the same three people over and over again (oddly enough, one of them is our Mayor, Rob Ford, LOL!!).  She is also a crusader.  An admirable trait, but she is often a bully when she crusades.  She is also very insecure.  She can do no wrong.  She is also afraid of me for some reason and always sets out to impress me.  Probably because I am difficult to read (I am a Gemini).  Also probably because we will birth the first grandchild/great grandchild of the family.  

With great power comes great responsibility, folks!

So FMIL brings up my dress in a phone convo.  She has never seen it, and often forgets I bought it MONTHS ago.  She doesn't listen, so every convo is a new one for her and she offended when you remind her of things.  It seems like I am bashing her but you need to understand this woman, lol.  I explain how I had an awful time dress shopping and was glad it was over.

"Oh, that's nothing!  I had a way worse time than you!"  Everything is always a contest.  Sure, you win, your dress hunt was the WORST!  Have a cheesecake.  She launches into this tale about how she tried on three dresses (!!!) and finally ordered a purple one with a corset back.  

"I was so scared I would match with your party.  I know you don't care, but there's certain etiquette I just can't overstep."

This is ALWAYS a dig at my mother wearing an ivory MOB dress and I allowed it.  To think, I didn't tell someone else what to wear...  IVORY!  Can you believe it?  Don't tell anyone.  The fashion police haven't been able to trace my IP yet so I think I am safe.  The pictures will be RUINED!  I will need a PPD to recover!  They will confuse me mother with me and it will all fall apart, OMG!!!

Also, corset back?  MG dresses have corset backs now?  REALLY?  Not to mention I have heard the purple story like 6 times.  

She has redeeming qualities too.  She's very protective of her family, and I have never been an interloper.  She has accepted me into her family with open arms and is very liberal with praise and comforting words.  She can be very supportive but she can cross lines into being critical very easily.  But this FI's mother, and I am marrying him, which means marrying her too.  FI isn't a momma's boy, thank goodness...

• Options
    Speaking of dresses, I have a FMIL story and I didn't want to clog up the boards with another thread so I think I'll just put it here.

My FMIL and I have nothing in common.  Perhaps this is why FI loves me so strongly...  

- I am sarcastic, reserved, introverted (ya wouldn't know it on here) and somewhat rational.  I am learning to be humble (I am somewhat stubborn so I am learning to step around that a bit) and trying to look outside my self to understand the whole picture.  It doesn't come easy, but I try when I can.  I am also my own harshest critic.

- FMIL is highly reactive, opinionated, and critical.  I will hear her rant about the same three people over and over again (oddly enough, one of them is our Mayor, Rob Ford, LOL!!).  She is also a crusader.  An admirable trait, but she is often a bully when she crusades.  She is also very insecure.  She can do no wrong.  She is also afraid of me for some reason and always sets out to impress me.  Probably because I am difficult to read (I am a Gemini).  Also probably because we will birth the first grandchild/great grandchild of the family.  

With great power comes great responsibility, folks!

So FMIL brings up my dress in a phone convo.  She has never seen it, and often forgets I bought it MONTHS ago.  She doesn't listen, so every convo is a new one for her and she offended when you remind her of things.  It seems like I am bashing her but you need to understand this woman, lol.  I explain how I had an awful time dress shopping and was glad it was over.

"Oh, that's nothing!  I had a way worse time than you!"  Everything is always a contest.  Sure, you win, your dress hunt was the WORST!  Have a cheesecake.  She launches into this tale about how she tried on three dresses (!!!) and finally ordered a purple one with a corset back.  

"I was so scared I would match with your party.  I know you don't care, but there's certain etiquette I just can't overstep."

This is ALWAYS a dig at my mother wearing an ivory MOB dress and I allowed it.  To think, I didn't tell someone else what to wear...  IVORY!  Can you believe it?  Don't tell anyone.  The fashion police haven't been able to trace my IP yet so I think I am safe.  The pictures will be RUINED!  I will need a PPD to recover!  They will confuse me mother with me and it will all fall apart, OMG!!!

Also, corset back?  MG dresses have corset backs now?  REALLY?  Not to mention I have heard the purple story like 6 times.  

She has redeeming qualities too.  She's very protective of her family, and I have never been an interloper.  She has accepted me into her family with open arms and is very liberal with praise and comforting words.  She can be very supportive but she can cross lines into being critical very easily.  But this FI's mother, and I am marrying him, which means marrying her too.  FI isn't a momma's boy, thank goodness...
    Your FMIL sounds like a difficult lady.  Poor FI, he's stuck with the wacky FMIL.

I have dealt with people who make everything into a contest (i.e. my mother) or people who give more a a fuck about what other people are doing (my mother) or are constantly taking jabs at other people who are viewed as "competition" (again, my mother.. pattern?).

With dresses, my Mom still holds it against my sister that she wasn't crazy about her MOB dress.  For me, she's started to ask me what size I am and how much I weigh (she dropped a bunch of weight this past year, good for her- I don't see how it makes my weight her biz).  For the first time in my life I told her to buzz off.  I love her, but she is a pain.. I think I even posted about what a pain she was being at some point.  Meh.

Now that I'm done with my mini tangent...

I actually laughed out loud about the Rob Ford thing.  I know people who were upset about the situation at the time, but I just get this hilarious image of something external happening to her (i.e. a traffic jam) and being like, "GOD DAMMIT ROB FORD YOU SOB!!!!!".  My Dad's wife is also a crusader.  Fine, you do you.. but there is absolutely a way to go about it (and a way to not go about it.. like taking personal jabs at people's intellect, etc.).

Actually, as I write this out, it really sounds like your FMIL is like a fusion of my Mom and my Dad's wife.

Girl, get yourself a lot of booze.

Because I am already all over the place- I think that you would appreciate that in college, a woman wouldn't let my Dad rent a place because he was a Gemini.. and she straight up said, "I think that Geminis are evil".  At least he didn't end up with a mentally unstable landlord?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @hikebikebemerry, my FMIL lives in the next town over.  She moved away last year and seems to think that the city is falling apart without her.  Her biggest concern is how fat and greasy Rob Ford looks.  Yeah, you hit the nail on the head lady.  That is his biggest problem!!  HIS FATNESS!  FI actually follows politics (I was almost a politician's wife) and will try to talk politics with her but it always come back to something like this  "Okay, whatever, but honestly, how much do you think that guy WEIGHS?  He looks like a sleazeball...."

As far as Geminis go, I don't follow that stuff, but yeah, I guess I'm pretty evil :)

• Options
    So today I had my dress fitting, which went rather well, despite the fact that I had SERIOUS anxiety over how it was going to fit.  I'm insecure about my body on the best of days.  

All the seamstress had to do was pin it in a bit on the bottom.  We talked about sewing in bra cups but she recommended I don't do that because I'm a pretty busty girl and she'd like me to have a bra for support.  The bra I chose was fine for what we needed so she recommend I stay with that option, so that's that.  She also pinned a small seam that came undone in the front (I bought a sample size so I think a few gals tried it on before I did).

I bought my veil at a sample sale at a wedding show (was $300 got it for $80!) and the comb stitching had separated from the veil.  I was scared to break it, so I brought it with me for her advice.  She fixed it then and there and handed it back to me so I could "practice hair trials" with it.

The dress will be done in mid-october.  Until we meet again, my lady Ella Rosa!

• Options
    Hey there...

so I have my dress, have had it for awhile now. I had a dress before this one but I got pregnant and we'll a size 4 isn't going to fit! So at 6 months pregnant i bought a size 8 corset back dress, it was loose but I figured there'd be some baby weight left over...i didn't account for the fact that I'd become pre eclamptic and have a preemie baby....as well as a ton of postpartum infections.

I "tried" my dress on last night. I was by myself so I didn't lace it or anything...well I'm feeling very unattractive in it. I became anemic so I'm super pail right now, although it's being fixed with iron infusions. I've got 22 extra pounds that isn't coming off, I need to get a bra and possibly some sort of slip since I'm breastfeeding and ugh. Maybe it'll be better when I go in for the fittings...*sigh*
  • Options
    Oh...we're getting married in a castle idk what I'll do for jewlery if I'll do jewlery at all...shoes are black peep toes with some small pleating that matches the dress and i have a very simple headband like crystal hairpiece. Necklace and bracelet idk
  • Options
    @lookame3639 get well soon.  It sounds like you have had a rough year.  I hope your child is doing well.  

It's hard to tell how a corset back will look and feel without lacing it up.  Maybe when you go to the fitting you will feel better because it is laced up.

I get self conscious too.  I worry that I have a tummy and I am not thin enough or my arms are pudgy.  It's so much anxiety for one day!  But I did put my dress on and I felt very pretty at my fitting.  Your dress is so pretty and I think you will feel pretty in it too :)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards