Attire & Accessories Forum

Dresses Online? JJ's House? HELP!!!!!!!!

I found a dress I absolutely adore but I'm really leery ordering a dress online. Has anyone done that? Any experience with JJ's House? Or anyone know a designer in stores to find this dress Wedding Dresses - $240.49 - A-Line/Princess V-neck Court Train Satin Lace Wedding Dress With Sash Beadwork Flower(s) (002000187) http://jjshouse.com/A-Line-Princess-V-Neck-Court-Train-Satin-Lace-Wedding-Dress-With-Sash-Beadwork-Flower-S-002000187-g187

Re: Dresses Online? JJ's House? HELP!!!!!!!!

• It's probably a knock off site. Don't do it.

Anniversary
  • Ditto. Knockoff site. Read up on these sites here:https://www.facebook.com/BridesBeware I think there are only one or two sites online that are legit. I couldn't find the actual designer of this dress, but it's becoming a pretty common style. Allure has a lot like these.
  • You could even consider getting a strapless dress or a similar dress and adding sleeves. I would be terrified of ordering from one of these places. I work with a girl who ordered her prom dress from China. She even paid over $100 for it and was upset when the zipper broke by the end of the night. I rather pay a little more to know I am getting good quality.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love jj house.com my friend bought a veil from them and I am also thinking about buying the bridesmaids dresses from ther e
  • Read the sticky.  Never order from a Chinese knockoff site.  You will be stuck with whatever they send you, and it won't look anything like the original.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • kmwmkmwm member
    First Comment

I cannot speak for wedding dresses, but I recently purchased a bridesmaid dress from JJ's House. Below is my review I left on another site. I hope this helps.

I am in a wedding party of 5. Every lady in this group has a very different body type and finding a dress that was flattering on everyone was very hard. I then came across JJ’s House and we found a dress that was affordable for everyone and that would look great on all body types. The dress ordered is Empire, V-Neck, Floor Length Chiffon Dress in Dark Green.

I placed my order on July 13, 2014 and received my dress on July 23, 2014. I must say that I am beyond impressed with the turnaround time as each dress is made to order and it was shipped from China to Canada.

I didn’t feel comfortable ordering a standard size as I am 5’4 and very curvy and have a tough time finding clothes that fit properly. I paid the additional $23CAD to have a custom size made and I am very glad I did. The dress fits like a glove and no alterations will be needed.

In total I paid $176 CAD (which included shipping and the fee for custom sizing). The quality of the dress itself was incredible and it looks like it cost way more then what I actually paid for it. The material does not look or feel cheap, it came with a built in bra that is also very durable and of high quality. This was by far the easiest and best online shopping experience I have ever had.

I highly recommend using JJ’s House for dresses. They have a huge selection and a wide range of color choices.

The ONLY thing I would like to remind people about is the Brokerage/Duty fees. When DHL delivered it last night I was slapped with a $52 charge. I knew there would be some sort of brokerage/duty but I did not expect it to be $52. BUT, $225 for a beautiful, high quality dress is well worth it to me!

• My advice would be not to do it.  I've purchased a few things from this company, and while the low prices, and correspondingly low quality are fine for certain things, I wouldn't recommend it for a wedding dress, and I certainly wouldn't consider buying my own gown from them.  I've had about a 50% success rate on dresses from them.  Here's why:

I found that the dresses don't end up looking particularly like the ones in the photos.  The bodices on the dresses I bought were incredibly bulky, and needed a lot of alteration to look flattering (thereby, negating the benefit of the incredibly low purchase price).  I also found that I immediately needed to replace the zippers, which wasn't particularly expensive, but a bit of a hassle.

The fabrics weren't horrible, but the dresses had obviously been put together in a hurry.  The seams were wonky in many places, and the attached sashes didn't sit properly, except on one dress. That meant that some particularly bulky seams across the waist that were supposed to be covered, were incredibly visible. 

The final reason that I won't purchase from them is simply because I have no idea under what conditions these dresses are made.  I understand that Chinese wages aren't particularly high, but I worry that at the price, the tailors are being overworked and underpaid.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything more about it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the original of that dress, but there are certainly a huge number of very similar dresses out there in a variety of price ranges.  If you want to keep cost down, check out an off the rack store.

Good luck with your search!
  • On the Brides Beware Facebook page, there's a dress from JJsHouse with a comparison photo from the website. Here's the link.

• That's as good a reason not to attempt this as any I've seen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards