Wedding 911

Marriage license in 1 state but wedding in another

Hey ladies I'm kind of in a pickle. We live in Texas but getting married In Louisiana since that's where I'm from. My fiancé is set on having a Texas marriage license and is severely pissed about having to get a Louisiana marriage license.

I wasn't sure if any of you ladies are doing something like this ( marriage license in your home state but getting married in another) I'm trying to get ahold of my county and Louisiana to ask them but having gotten through to a human yet.

Re: Marriage license in 1 state but wedding in another

• We are getting married in VT but live in NY. Our wedding license will be from VT. I'm pretty sure in misty if not ask states the license had to be from the state where the wedding takes place.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Doesn't work that way.  You have to get the license in the state where you get married.    

I have a license from  New Jersey.  I've never lived in New Jersey, nor has my husband.  That is just where we got married.   Never really thought about what state the license is from.   

You are indeed getting married in LA.  When people ask where you got married the answer will be "LA".   Why does the fact the license comes from there makes a difference to your FI?   It's silly.  

Think about if it was possible to do what you are suggesting (again, it's not possible) when asked where you got married would he say "LA but our license is from TX?".  WTH?  It's weird.   Unless you are same-sexed having a marriage license from a different state doesn't lessen benefits or give you more.

Bottom line is if he wants a TX license you need to get married in TX.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks ladies! Yes my fiancé is being a pain in my butt. His whole reason for wanting a Texas license is because he's from TX. WELL! I'm from Louisiana so that means nothing to me and he's being so silly about it. He of course is pulling this 3 months before the wedding. He's going to make me go bald and loose all of my hair from being stressed. Lord help me.
  • A license is a piece of paper that in most homes it stuck in a folder somewhere.    The person changing their name might use it a few times getting their name changed.  Some people have to bring a copy to work for insurance purposes.   After that initial update phase it's rarely even seen and certainly does not make a difference.  

As I said you are getting married in LA, can't change that.  It's like where you are born.  You can move to TX at 1 week old, but once you are born in LA your place of birth will always be LA.  It it what it is.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Don't wait until the last minute, many states have three-day waiting periods.  Call the county clerk where you're getting married and find out requirements.  You might not be able to get the license Friday then get married Saturday.
  • Don't wait until the last minute, many states have three-day waiting periods.  Call the county clerk where you're getting married and find out requirements.  You might not be able to get the license Friday then get married Saturday.
    Wanted to echo this sentiment.  I live in WA, got married in OR.  Not only was there a 3 day waiting period til we could use the license, we had to actually go get it in person and the clerk's office wasn't open during the weekend.  We had to use a vacation day to head down there to go get it. Annoying?  Yes, but better than showing up the day before to find out we couldn't get married that weekend.  

Also, I noted that Oregon recently stopped requiring blood tests for getting a marriage license.  Not sure if that was super common to  begin with but something to note when you are trying to time it out just in case.  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Does your FI want your marriage to be legal?  If he does, then he must follow the laws of which ever state he is going to be married!   Otherwise, you are not married, no matter how many vows you say to each other.

Louisiana has a three day waiting period, and requires some paperwork.  Here is what you need to know. 
    http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/louisiana/

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • He is being ridiculous being pissed about this. It never ceases to amaze me how hung up on Texas so many Texans are. It's one of the things I definitely do not miss now that I've left there!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Your officiant will not sign a marriage license from another state. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ScoutFScoutF member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    AddieCake said:
    He is being ridiculous being pissed about this. It never ceases to amaze me how hung up on Texas so many Texans are. It's one of the things I definitely do not miss now that I've left there!

Damn box.

I saw tortilla chips in the shape of the state of Texas last week. I don't get this. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    Doesn't work that way.  You have to get the license in the state where you get married.    

I have a license from  New Jersey.  I've never lived in New Jersey, nor has my husband.  That is just where we got married.   Never really thought about what state the license is from.   

You are indeed getting married in LA.  When people ask where you got married the answer will be "LA".   Why does the fact the license comes from there makes a difference to your FI?   It's silly.  

Think about if it was possible to do what you are suggesting (again, it's not possible) when asked where you got married would he say "LA but our license is from TX?".  WTH?  It's weird.   Unless you are same-sexed having a marriage license from a different state doesn't lessen benefits or give you more.

Bottom line is if he wants a TX license you need to get married in TX.

This.  No one is going to ask where your license is from.  I haven't even looked at our license in over a year, since I finished changing my name.  I probably will never look at it again unless I need it for something. 
  • I live in Louisiana, but got married in CA. And, yes, it is a CA marriage license. Like the other PPs, I'm really not getting his tizzy. It is so unimportant. It is certainly a very important document, but one that he will rarely ever look at. Tell him to gaze upon his birth certificate (assuming he was born in TX) whenever he is feeling upset about his Louisiana marriage license, lol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards