Not Engaged Yet
Options

When I was a kid...

13»

Re: When I was a kid...

• Options
    At my grandparents house - in the upstairs there was one of those 'half door' storage areas that my grandmother kept locked.  My older cousins told me monsters lived behind the door.  I was afraid to go upstairs at my grandparent's house because of it.

I was afraid of 2 of my uncles as a child because they were pretty loud.

I thought adults didn't like candy/sweets because most of the adults around me didn't eat sweets and older kids didn't go trick or treating further proving my theory.  So glad I found out this is not the case!!!

Anniversary
  • Options

At first I'm like "wtf are Breyer horses?" then I googled it and I had some!

For someone who is scared of horses, I sure did like them...

When I was three years old I used to go around the house screaming: "I'm Mike Boguslawski and I'm in YOUR corner!" Because of this dude: LINK

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Our parents must have been SO entertained. Kids are hilarious, especially this group.
  • Options
    Swazzle said:
    Did you guys have an imaginary-but-totally-real serial killer that you would run from when you'd turn the lights off in certain rooms of your house? 

My house growing up was a split level and when I was alone in the family room about to go up to bed, I would go over to the light and prepare myself. This consisted of getting my body into position to run and practicing my breathing. Then all of a sudden, I'd switch off the light and run fast as lightning up the 5 steps to the middle level then up the 6 steps to the top level to my bedroom. The killer NEVER got me. PHEW.

I may or may not still do this when I'm alone. 
    We had a sliding glass door. Any time I had to turn off the lights on the floor of my house with the bedroom (parents were upstairs) I always thought I saw someone walking around outside. I knew they were going to get me.
  • Options
    My sister and I used to tell my brother, my parents found him in a garbage can and decided to keep him ( he was 3 or 4 at the time).  He would get real upset and of course we would tell him not to say anything to mom and dad otherwise they would have to put him back and they could get sent to jail.  I was not the best older sibling....

Anniversary

• Options
    Swazzle said:
    Did you guys have an imaginary-but-totally-real serial killer that you would run from when you'd turn the lights off in certain rooms of your house? 

My house growing up was a split level and when I was alone in the family room about to go up to bed, I would go over to the light and prepare myself. This consisted of getting my body into position to run and practicing my breathing. Then all of a sudden, I'd switch off the light and run fast as lightning up the 5 steps to the middle level then up the 6 steps to the top level to my bedroom. The killer NEVER got me. PHEW.

I may or may not still do this when I'm alone. 
    We had a sliding glass door. Any time I had to turn off the lights on the floor of my house with the bedroom (parents were upstairs) I always thought I saw someone walking around outside. I knew they were going to get me.
    Sliding glass doors are terrifying! I didn't have them in my house but we had a ton of windows so it was just as scary! 

• Options
    My sister and I used to tell my brother, my parents found him in a garbage can and decided to keep him ( he was 3 or 4 at the time).  He would get real upset and of course we would tell him not to say anything to mom and dad otherwise they would have to put him back and they could get sent to jail.  I was not the best older sibling....
    hahahaha!! 

I realize that this is probably totally politically incorrect, but I'll tell it anyway. 

When I was little, and being naughty, my mom would tell me that if I didn't start behaving, she'd send me back to the Indians where she got me from. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    hahahaha!! 
    I realize that this is probably totally politically incorrect, but I'll tell it anyway. 

When I was little, and being naughty, my mom would tell me that if I didn't start behaving, she'd send me back to the Indians where she got me from. 
    This explains.......... so much.  :P
  • Options

@GoldenPenguin that's pretty funny!

PS I love seeeing your wedding ticker countdown! :-)

Anniversary

• Options
    Ditto to everyone about the horse stuff. My Breyer horses are still on display in my room (I even went to Breyerfest once year) and I have just about every horse book imaginable. Thoroughbreds, Black Stallion series, Margaret Henry, Pony Pals, Phantom Stallion, anything I could get my hands on. I'd also play like I was riding a horse around the house and stuff. To this day I can make some uncanny sounding horse sounds.

I was that kid that loved to read. Seriously, I would turn on the light in my bathroom because I was "scared" but it was really so I could read until who knows when. I'd hide books under my pillows and in my covers. My mom was so annoyed. 

When I was young we would visit my grandparents and cousins in rural Alabama every year (we lived in New Orleans at the time so it was a trip). One year when I was like, 5, my cousin convinced me that the wolves and tigers and lions had all escaped from the local zoo and were coming to get me. It didn't help that there were coyotes around that howled at night. It freaked me out so bad. 

My childhood best friend and I decided to switch places one day. This was in kindergarten or first grade. Her parents were divorced, but I always went to one parents house and not the other. I wanted to go to her other mom's house and it was where she was going that day, so we decided to switch so I'd get to go. Everyone always told us that we looked a ton like each other (looking at pictures I have no idea where that came from) so we switched clothes in the bathroom at the end of the day to try and switch places. We made it about 10 feet out the door before her mom was all like "You aren't K! Go switch clothes back!" I know she knew the second she saw me, but she played like she was surprised.

• Options
    These are all seriously cracking me up!!! I can relate to SO many of them. 
    You know where Iceland and Greenland are? Well until I was 18 years old I thought Poland was up there too. I mean the names are practically the same, it only makes sense. 

My brother and I did so much dumb shit- shoe box mailboxes outside our bedrooms for notes to each other. We piled all the couch cushions up and called it the "agro crag" from Nickelodeon Guts. We had a boat on the lake and we used to call waves "adventures". I have no idea why but we called each other butt-bow which eventually morphed into daddy-bow and mom-butt for our parents....I still get embarrassed when I accidentally call them that on the phone if FI or anyone is within earshot. 

I didn't know what an apartment was. My parents, my aunts, uncles, grandparents, anyone I ever knew owned a house until I went over a classmates in 7th grade and was like "What do you mean someone else lives in the upstairs? I don't get it." <---sheltered much! 

• Options
    And whoever said they were obsessed with Richard Dawson of Family Feud...I was obsessed with Bob Barker. My mom said I would come home from half day pre-school/ kindergarten at 11am and I'd demand The Price is Right with a tuna melt (cut into 4's) every single day. hahaha

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Oh my gosh, I LOVED reading through these!! I also had a ton of horses and now I'm singing the theme to Grand Champions (♫GRAND CHAMPIONS, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL HORSES IN THE WORLD♫)

When I was little I couldn't stop peeing unless I got through the alphabet twice, so I'd stop mid-stream if I had to... super weird.

I carried around Barbie's little sister Kelly like she was my own daughter, I even brought her to an amusement park with me but left her on a ride.. I freaked out and we finally tracked her down.

I also thought Drug stores were illegal, I couldn't comprehend why people on tv would go to jail for drugs but there were stores that sold them.
  • Options
    PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014

I used to have a recurring nightmare about this woman called the "Belly Button Lady" who was dressed like someone from Little House on the Prairie who had really long fingernails and used to going around poking people in their belly buttons.  My brother told his friends on the bus once and I was mortified so I told on him and he got in trouble for it.

I used to line up my dolls in my bed at bed time, and I would rotate their order each night so that they all had a chance to sleep next to me, it had to be fair.  Except the larger dolls were always on the end so they could protect the smaller ones from the ghosts/witches under my bed.

We carpooled with a neighborhood girl for kindergarten.  I remember I pretended that my Strawberry Shortcake school bag was scratch 'n sniff and would sit in the back seat with her and pretend to smell the scent...it did not have a scent at all.  Not sure why I pretended that, I was trying to show off?

I used to make up words and pretend I could speak a foreign language.  Of course no one understood it but me.  Hell, I don't think I even understood it!

• Options

Sooooo many things from my childhood!

My aunt, who is two years older than me, loved telling scary stories to freak me out, so I was terrified of porcelain dolls - and closet doors.

I wouldn't sleep in my room at my dad's house unless I had a friend over.

My mom raised us on a steady diet of musical theatre and arts movies - pretty sure we were the only kids that were "playing" Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell as kids.   Fiddler on the Roof and Amadeus were favorites as well.  We also watched Labyrinth about a billion times.

My brother and sister made up this game called Jason and John, Rescue Rangers.  Not sure how my sister became Jason, but whatever.  My "role" in the game was to be disinterested in anything they were doing and have my nose stuck in a book. 

We once tried to bribe some kids to be our friends with some melted Flavor-Ice popsicles - melted, because it took us so long to get up the nerve to go talk to them! 

I'm sure there are tons more, but these are what immediately come to mind!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @hummingbird125 OMG The thoroughbred series was the BEST!!!!!!!!! I read up to something like book 40 and then kind of grew out of them. Not kidding...I recently saw that they're STILL printing them...I considered going back and trying to buy all the old ones, re-reading them (that should take me all of an hour a piece lol) and continuing on with the series LOLOL 
    Does it make me totally stupid/nuts? It does...doesn't it?
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    When I was young My grandmother used to also say she was 39 again. So on my mom's birthday one year I did the math and told everyone my Grandmother had my mom when she was 12!!!

• Options
    hahahaha!! 

This explains.......... so much.  :P
    I don't get it.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    When I was really little (3-4), my uncle bought me some arcade-style games for our family computer. My mom hated when I played them because she didn't think I was using my brain. My uncle hated that he could never beat my scores.

Imagine their surprise when they found out I had hacked the source code of the games and programmed it so I had unlimited lives, unlimited ammo ...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards