Wisconsin

Cake Shop Recommendations

Re: Cake Shop Recommendations

• edited December 2011
    I am getting my cake done by Brookfield Cakes.  www.brookfieldcakes.com They are a bit on the expensive side but the cake was AMAZING and they were very friendly and helpful.
  • edited December 2011
    Here are a few to look at:

Eat Cake (Milwaukee)
    Cakes By Stephanie (Menomonee Falls)
    Simmas (Wauwatosa)
    Aggie's (Milwaukee)

These are priced all across the board and were all referred to me when I started planning.  I'm going with Cakes By Stephanie.  She charges only $1.75 a slice and her cake was very tasty.

Good luck.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    LeCakery in Elm Grove is a really great place as well.
  • edited December 2011
    We went with Aggies Cake in St,Francis.
    Good Cake and Reasonable Prices
  • edited December 2011
    Absolutely loved the Cake Lady on KK parkway!  Tried a bunch of cake's and none were able to top hers.  She was a cinch to work with, and everything was fantastic the day of!  She does charge for a tasting ($25ish), which initially was a turn off.  But... she makes practically a whole cake!  We had so much food it was silly!  Can't say enough good things about her!
  • edited December 2011
    I would second Aggie's.  We loved everything we tasted and prices were reasonable!
  • edited December 2011
  • schroeders78schroeders78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are actually using Metro Mart. Their cakes are beautiful and taste AMAZING!!!! Their prices are very reasonable aslo.
  • mg321mg321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using the Cake Lady too...we tried the cakes at Aggie's first and let me just say that the Cake Lady is like in a world of her own. INCREDIBLE! And I don't even like cake that much, so it had to be good. However, we're on a budget, and our cake would probably be considered a "splurge" for us. She was really willing to try to work within our budget, though, and we got pretty close. Pretty close (I may or may not have had to pull the "I'm your only daughter" card with my father...) ;).
  • edited December 2011
    Mg321-- what kind of cake are you having, do you have a pic?
    :)
  • edited December 2011
    Simma's Bakery without a doubt.  No one in town gets the accolades that they do and their cakes are amazing.
  • mg321mg321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @vitacosmopolita: Our cake is lavender with lemon curd AND raspberry filling (she does 4 layers of cake and 3 of filling...YUM!). Buttercream icing, of course, though her fondant was among the least-yucky I've had. Don't have a pic but it will be simple--2 tiers, a few gum-paste flowers. Sheet cake too, to feed more people :)
  • edited December 2011

I tasted cake at just about every place in Milwaukee, so I have a lot of recommendations!

• Aggies:  No.  It was the first tasting and I didn't know what to expect, but a high school girl brought out three bites of cake on a styrofoam plate and left us to look through their book of totally 80's floral wedding cakes.  We asked if we could try lemon and red velvet, and were told they didn't have any available.  I thought the cake was dry and bland, and the service was bad.  Although, my sister did get a birthday cake from there and it was fine.  Not groundbreaking, but fine.

• Simma's:  Hands down the best cake I've ever had in my life.  The experience was amazing, too.  They brought out 6 full sized slices of cake on a tray with a bud vase of flowers and two coffees.  Again, a high-school aged employee talked to us about our cake design, but that was my only complaint.  The cake was incredibly delicious AND they sent us home with a to-go box.  It was our #1 choice but also the most expensive, so we ultimately went with something else.

• Eat Cake!:  This was the first bakery where we actually met with the baker.  Debbie was friendly and full of great ideas, and her cake was also the least expensive of everywhere we tasted.  I got the feeling she would be very easy to work with and the cake would look great.  I wasn't thrilled about the taste of the cake, though.  The lavendar vanilla was heavenly, but everything else was a little dry.

• Le Cakery:  NO.  OMG, NO.  The owner is an a-hole.  I was 10 minutes early and he would not stop going on and on about how early I was and it was such a problem and he was not prepared and it was my fault because I was so early.  Then he complained about my choice of weekend because he has an annual trip that weekend every year.  Okay, sorry, then you should have just told me that weekend was not available.  Also, the cake was "not the right temperature" because I was so early and it didn't have time to thaw.  I didn't even care - I like chilled cake better anyway.  I also thought he was incredibly pushy and was telling us how it was going to be, instead of us discussing OUR ideas.  He laughed when I said I wanted polka dots made of fondant because "fondant tastes terrible."  Maybe YOURS does, but I've certainly had delicious fondant in the past.  Then I fell hard on my butt on his icy, un-salted sidewalk.

• Peter Sciortino's:  This is who we went with.  I met with Elizabeth and I thought she listened to us, gave us a fair price, and her cake was delicious.  The chocolate was deep and dark and moist.  The frosting and filling layers were thick, but creamy and the perfect sweetness.  We went with a smaller tiered cake and a large sheet cake for the most cost effective option. 
  • edited December 2011

One vote for Peter Sciortino's as well!!  Other than the fact that their hours may not always be convenient (I believe they are closed on Sunday, since this is a family business in the Brady Street neighborhood), but everything they make is incredible, and very reasonably priced!  Always friendly and knowledgeable service as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards