Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Paper Lanterns- Overdone?

Hey Knotties! I'm in the processing of purchasing decorations for our reception hall and I'm really on the fence about using paper lanterns. My fiance really likes them and I think they're cool too- but I also feel like they've become really overdone at weddings. It's also one more thing I would have to worry about. What do you think?

Re: Paper Lanterns- Overdone?

• Options
    I had paper lanterns and I love the look.   I do not think they are overdone.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm not totally sure what you mean- can you post a picture or link to Pinterest?

In my head I have a vision of the paper lanterns that people light and float into the air. I was of the impression that was a cultural thing, so now that it's gone mainstream, I cringe.  I don't even want to think about where those land and how they impact the environment (maybe they're biodegradable).

Anywho, picture? 

• Options
    I think you just go with the look you like. 

I'm starting to see paper lanterns about as often as I saw mason jars the last couple years. I definitely think it's a trend, but if you like it and don't care about that, go for it!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    They're trendy, but so is nearly everything else concerning wedding decorationspap. If you love them, go for it. 

I'm assuming OP means these things: 

Edit: Can't get the picture to show up (what is with TK?!) - Click
  • Options
    My only concerns would be the height of your venue's ceilings, whether the venue even allows anything attached to the ceiling (if they have fire sprinklers, they usually don't), and if there's a good way to even attach them (often tape and thumbtacks are a no-no).

• Options
    I like them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think they're classic, rather than overdone. And even if " everybody" does something, I wouldn't let it stop me from doing something I really liked. Go for it.
  • Options
    I officially don't care if they're overdone, I will love them FOREVER! If you like 'em, go for it.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    I personally love paper lanterns and we're having them at our reception.  I haven't been to any weddings where they've had them, so I personally don't consider them to be overdone.  

If you do choose to get them, I will say that paperlanternstore.com is a great site to get them from.  They're really low priced and if you need to contact their customer service, they get back to you very quickly (in addition to the lanterns we bought, we ordered some candles from them and unfortunately a few were damaged...they got back to us within a day and offered a refund for them after we sent a photo).

• Options
    We had an outdoor-ish wedding (reception space had a floor and roof, but no walls), and we had white paper lanterns over the bare lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling. They looked awesome. If anything, I feel like Christmas lights are more overdone than the lanterns.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I think paper lanterns are closer to "classic" then "trendy" They've been around for awhile now, so I don't think they'll "date" a wedding the way chevron or mason jars will.

Anniversary
  • Options
    In my opinion, they are overdone (just like mason jars). But if you like them, go for it !
  • Options
    I love them. We talked about having them as well. I think they're more classic than the current popular thing.
  • Options
    Had them and loved them. Here is a photo:

• Options
    I like the look of them. Very pretty. Do they go over lights?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Denise40 said:
    I like the look of them. Very pretty. Do they go over lights?
    Some do, and some are attached to strings with little LED lights inside (like a Christmas light string). I've also seen single lanterns that have a hook so you can hang them anywhere instead of stringing them.
  • Options
    I like them too, overdone or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards