Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Groom Refusing to wear tux. How common is this?

So my future SIL does not want to wear a tux at the wedding. He says that tuxes do not fit him and that a rental costs so much that he might as well buy a nice suit.

While I understand the logic, I am also concerned that he and the groosmen will not match. It gives me heaving anxiety in fact.

Is this a thing nowadays?

Has anyone expeeinced this and if so, what did you do to resolve it?

Re: Groom Refusing to wear tux. How common is this?

• Suits are pretty common. If he doesn't want to wear one then he shouldn't be forced to. Although it's standard for everyone to match, I think it's becoming a bit more common (not necessarily popular) for them to not match and be comfortable...and they can all wear suits and still match.
  • I would think that if he wore a suit, all the GMs would also wear suits, which you can rent just as easily as a tux.

I assume you are MOB, and I hate to say it, but this is kind of between your daughter and her FI, not you (unless you're paying for his attire). So she can either put her foot down, or he gets to choose what he wears. It's his wedding, too, and if he's uncomfortable, he's not going to be happy.

Most places will make sure the fit is perfect. He may change his mind after trying some things on.
    Anniversary

• My fiance and his groomsmen are wearing suits and I don't see what the big deal is. Are you worried about them buying suits and not matching perfectly? I have seen pictures of wedding parties in similar colors but not EXACT and it still looks great.
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    FI and his GM are wearing suits. However, we are also having a brunch wedding and tuxes are inappropriate before 6 pm. Even if we were doing an evening wedding, I would want FI and his guys to be comfortable in what they are wearing. So if the groom won't be comfortable, he shouldn't be forced to wear a tux. 
  • Prof science - you are dead wrong. I am paying for a five figure wedding, and it's not his purview to trash it by looking cheap and uncoordinated.
  • Assuming this isn't a gay wedding, maybe you should talk to you daughter about this. Even if someone else was paying for my wedding, I wouldn't want them to tell me what dress I can or can't wear. IMO, if your daughter picked out the venue then she probably has a vision of her wedding that she may be able to pass on to her fiancé. If you picked out the venue, then I think you should have consulted with them first. Back to the attire, I think that he should be comfortable with what he wears, even if it's not what you think it should be (and I personally am for the men looking similar, whether it all be tuxes or suits).
  • Depending if you rented already...my groomsmen are not doing full suits. We are doing cowboy boots, khaki pants, and white button-down shirts with vests and ties. Its still a rental but probably less expensive to rent if thats an option to explore.
  • Pennsyl said:
    Prof science - you are dead wrong. I am paying for a five figure wedding, and it's not his purview to trash it by looking cheap and uncoordinated.

• I had forgotten all about this -- only just now read the responses.

What a self-righteous, judgemental bunch  you all are!  Years from now, you will be in my shoes (if you are lucky) and realize how completely wrong you were/are. In weddings, as in everything else -- if you pay the bills, you have a say in the outcome.

And BTW -- it all worked out. The MOG sided with me and we worked out a compromise - matching, but rented suits. Looked great! 

• Pennsyl said:
    I had forgotten all about this -- only just now read the responses.

What a self-righteous, judgemental bunch  you all are!  Years from now, you will be in my shoes (if you are lucky) and realize how completely wrong you were/are. In weddings, as in everything else -- if you pay the bills, you have a say in the outcome.

And BTW -- it all worked out. The MOG sided with me and we worked out a compromise - matching, but rented suits. Looked great! 

Seriously? People here were trying to give you advice and YOU were the one who came on here talking about how you didn't want you future SIL to look "cheap" since you're the one paying for this "5 figure affair." 

So he wore matching suits, not a "fancy" tux like you wanted, and it looked great. See, it was not that hard. Geez.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• esstee33 said:
    Pennsyl said:

Man, I really hope I don't turn out like you.
    QFT Seriously, OP, stop, you are giving Dallas women a bad name.

My parents gave us money for a 5 figure wedding and they were no where near controlling and uppity like you are being. Seriously I hope to be like my parents, generous and silent.
  • I had a five figure wedding. My DH wore a brand new, custom-tailored Burberry suit. 

So... that's cheap? 

His groomsmen work black suits they already owned. They looked sharp!

Rented tuxes... good luck. Not all are bad, but in most pictures I see the rented tuxes are obvious. They fit poorly and make the men look like penguins or like they're wearing diapers.  

I know this ship sailed for this wedding, but I firmly believe men will look better in suits they already own that fit properly than in a rented tux.  

OP should get with my best friend's FMIL. That woman clutched her damn pearls over her other son's suits too.  For some people, nothing's ever good enough.

• You said your FSIL was going to look cheap and had a how dare he attitude about that but then you call the posters here judgmental. Cool.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Pennsyl said:

She who smelt it dealt it.  If you detect a waft of self-righteous judgmentalness, check thine own pits before pointing fingers at anyone else's.

• Pennsyl said:

Funny that's the same thing that @professorscience suggested and you jumped down her throat for. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards