New Jersey
Options

Name Change

cp254100cp254100 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited July 2014 in New Jersey
Hi! I am trying to figure out if I need to get a court order to change my name in NJ, following my marriage, or if it is not necessary... 

I want to add my maiden name as a second middle name, and take my hubby's last name. Apparently in NJ you cannot change your middle name b/c of marriage, without a court order. What I can't figure out is why I need to do that. In NJ you just have a single middle initial on your drivers license, so I don't know why I'd need a court ordered legal name change if I cannot change it on my drivers license anyways. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I add a second middle name at the Social Security office in NJ? I've heard that since they are a federal department you can do this regardless of what state you are in. 

Thanks! 

Re: Name Change

• Options
    I know people who have done this. I don't think any of them needed a court order.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I dropped my middle name and took my maiden name as my middle name and changed me last name.  I didn't need a court order.  I just did everything at social security.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards