Not Engaged Yet
Options

yea

Re: yea

• Options

Yea, I totally agree. My personal preference would be that it just be me and her, but I think she'd enjoy her friends there.

Now I'm trying to think how to make it more intimate even if her friends are still involved. I might do away with a tour guide and just stick to notes written by me at each stop. Her friends really wont be talking to her or doing anything just either laying there or kissing each other or holding hands. So it wont be too intrusive.. and the pavilion that I will be waiting under will be very far away from where our friends were and we will be alone apart from someone taking pictures!

• Options
    I'm with @Swazzle - It's your proposal, representing the love between you two. I don't think she should have to watch other people making out. Even if it seems sweet in your head, I think it will be super weird when it plays out.
  • Options

Yea, I totally agree. My personal preference would be that it just be me and her, but I think she'd enjoy her friends there.

Now I'm trying to think how to make it more intimate even if her friends are still involved. I might do away with a tour guide and just stick to notes written by me at each stop. Her friends really wont be talking to her or doing anything just either laying there or kissing each other or holding hands. So it wont be too intrusive.. and the pavilion that I will be waiting under will be very far away from where our friends were and we will be alone apart from someone taking pictures!

So then WHY even make such a big production out of it?? My FI stressed for two weeks over making sure he did it the "right" way - his brother did a whole big thing to propose, including flying her parents in; one of his co-workers (who we're friends with) proposed in Venice; my best friend was proposed to in Paris - so he felt all this pressure.

He proposed in our kitchen. It was simple, and perfect. Our dog was there with us, and we could just take a little bit to decompress and share our excitement with ourselves (and the pup, of course) before getting bombarded with questions, etc. 

If YOUR personal preference is to do it with just the two of you, DO IT!! I promise you, just because there's no giant gesture with friends and skywriting, she will love your proposal and it will be beyond special - SIMPLY because you're asking her to marry you. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Goodbye
  • Options
    Yea... thanks for all your kind words, but I think the only comments I can really appreciate from this entire thread is that I know my girlfriend and none of you do. So I was wrong for asking for any thoughts on some extra creativity.

I don't know that I've seen a more cynical, self-absorbed, critical bunch of people and I've been on many forums in my life time.

Thanks for the "help".
    LOL 

YOU'RE WELCOME! 

• Options
    edited July 2014

Yea... thanks for all your kind words, but I think the only comments I can really appreciate from this entire thread is that I know my girlfriend and none of you do. So I was wrong for asking for any thoughts on some extra creativity.

I never asked how to propose. Not once. I asked for additional creative suggestions, hoping to get stuff like... oh you could have flower petals lead up along the path all the way up to you at the end. Artsty/creative suggestions like that. My mistake... lesson learned ;)
  • Options

Yea... thanks for all your kind words, but I think the only comments I can really appreciate from this entire thread is that I know my girlfriend and none of you do. So I was wrong for asking for any thoughts on some extra creativity.

• Options

I never asked how to propose. Not once. I asked for additional creative suggestions, hoping to get stuff like... oh you could have flower petals lead up along the path all the way up to you at the end. Artsty/creative suggestions like that. My mistake... lesson learned ;)

• Options

You just practiced an important skill for your future marriage. I applaud you, sir. 
  • Options
    Yea... thanks for all your kind words, but I think the only comments I can really appreciate from this entire thread is that I know my girlfriend and none of you do. So I was wrong for asking for any thoughts on some extra creativity.

I don't know that I've seen a more cynical, self-absorbed, critical bunch of people and I've been on many forums in my life time.

Thanks for the "help".
    First, DDing is incredibly rude. You asked for our opinions and thoughts and we gave them to you in a truthful manner. If all you wanted was a "Sure, sounds amazing!" why even post? Everyone who posted took time out of their day to give you a thoughtful response and that's how you thank them?

Secondly, we were trying to help. We are not cynical, self-absorbed, or critical. You asked opinions and we gave them. Seeing how we have no knowledge of your GF's personality or tastes, what else do we have to go on besides what we personally would like and our own experiences? That doesn't make us self-centered. Our approach is blunt and honest, but that's how we roll.

We did give you ideas, like the letters or the fact that many of us would prefer something more personal or some of the other things you chose to ignore. However, it is up to you on how you want to propose. If you want the whole shebang, go for it. But it's not required and it's not everyone's cup of tea and we were just informing you of that.

For what it's worth, I think you idea of having people act stuff out sounds hokey, awkward, and has the possibility of going very wrong. Plus, the people acting won't even get to see you propose, so why have them there? They're friends, not props. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    @knottie81146333 our creative suggestions were to tone it down unless she likes theatrical productions. Being over-the-top and super elaborate does not equal creativity.
    Anniversary

• Options

Um, people totally gave you ideas. 

Yes, you also got responses from women saying that we don't care for cheesy, over-the-top proposals. Regardless of how you think a message board works, we're not banned from stating our opinions whether it's what you want to hear or not. 

GET OVER IT.

• Options

I don't know that I've seen a more cynical, self-absorbed, critical bunch of people and I've been on many forums in my life time. This isn't about you. All of the things I suggested.. I know she will enjoy and I am sticking to it, so any criticism AT ALL was NEVER welcome. I never asked for it either. I was asking for extra ideas to incorporate into the idea I had.

Thanks for the "help".

Your original proposal idea was over the top, everyone gave suggestions, you either take the suggestions or not.

Don't act like you're 12 or something crying about how self-absorbed we are, get the fuck over yourself.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options

Nice to meet all of you. Clicking X on my screen and have no reason to come back.. I'm sure you'll love that!! :D

I realize my comments were not the nicest (I'm sorry) and I'm sure you all meant well. Thanks again. Adios!

• Options
    phira said:

She's my hero

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Seriously? I took time to give a complete stranger some helpful and kind advice that he asked for but I'm cynical, self-absorbed, and critical? I think you need to take a look in the mirror. It's fine if you don't like our ideas, don't use them we seriously do not care but everyone here gave you great advice. You chose to throw a temper tantrum and act like a child, no one here will miss you.

• Options

I decided to come back, but I'm not going to read what you guys wrote since, because I'm sure it wouldn't be so nice lol.

Either way... I wanted to come back just to say something and then I will close out and leave again:

First of all. Thanks. I know initially it didn't feel like you guys were trying to be helpful because of the overwhelming number of comments that said they didn't like it. So please understand that being my shoes, having planned all of that already, having reserved the gardens and drawn out this entire thing and written the sketch for the tour guide already.. to be told over and over again that it wasn't someone's favorite idea... well kind of hurts. Someone suggested that I might have been fishing for compliments. While that is not the case, of course after all that plannng and prep it would have been nice to hear that people liked my idea.

Second, I think you guys have the right idea. We all have our own preferences and we're all different kinds of people. So while I seriously do appreciate your comments on what you would prefer or how you were proposed to and how you thought it was perfect (and I'm not trying to be rude when I say this), I didn't like some of your proposal stories. She wouldn't like if I did it some of those ways and I'm not sure I would either. You guys weren't suggesting that I copy your proposals, I know... I'm just saying. It's not fair to say you think my idea is "hokey" or whatever word you choose to use because quite frankly she may absolutely love it. We all have different preferences. With that being said.. I have thought a lot about what you guys said. Even though the proposal is only a couple of weeks away. I think I might lean toward getting her to the gardens and her going through the gardens by herself. I do still want to have "stations" where she picks up a note from me and I would like to have say decorations. For example: stars that I made hanging from the tree branch and a prop car underneath the stars with a blanket on top of the car (since we would star gaze on the roof of my first car with a blanket). But I think you guys have the right idea with her going through all that alone. I know for a fact she wants friends there.. maybe I'll have them come out at the end to celebrate and maybe someone sneaking far away in the bushes to take pictures (I'll work on that).

To get to my point. Thanks. I guess I wasn't used to a bunch of girls (I assume most of you are, anyway) ganging up on me and my idea. I know you weren't it just felt like it. My girl means the world to me so I want this to be perfect and just how she would love it.

Sorry for saying not so nice things. I shouldn't have. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards