Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Anyone making or made their gown?!

Ok we're shot gunning the wedding, I can't find an affordable dress in my size. Wedding is in 39 days. I'm going to make one. Not the first time sewing, so I have faith in myself! I want a cotton dress so I'm going with muslin cloth that's less than $2 a yard. I'm hoping to stay under $100. One thing I need but can't find are some lace/rhinestone appliqués. I've looked at Michael's, Walmart, and Hancock's but nada :-( any ideas? If you made your gown, how'd it turn out??

This is my idea gown, but all cotton material.

Re: Anyone making or made their gown?!

• Options
    Well I guess the pic won't attach. But it's a drop waist, sweetheart neckline
  • Options
    I've made three throughout the years, and currently altering a 1955 vintage gown for my daughter.
    And yep, you're running into the first major problem. The bridal departments at fabric stores get smaller every year, and there's not a lot of selection. 

If there aren't any specialty fabric stores in your area, you're stuck ordering online. Lace Heaven in Atlanta, or M&J Trims in NYC are both good. I avoid anything overseas, because you really have no idea what you're getting, and return policies are hilarious, and return shipping often more than you paid for the product.

The other alternative is find a good quality lace yardage, and cut your own appliqués from the fabric. Use fray check to anchor the cut edges, if necessary, and bead away. 

Or, check your local thrift stores and craigslist for used/damaged wedding gowns, and you can remove the appliqués from them. 80s gowns in particular are laceapaloozas. Tons of lace. More lace than any one person should ever wear. Appliqués on top of appliqués. These are going cheap, because nobody wants to wear a giant 80s gown with sleeves bigger than their heads. (I scored one for 15 dollars. I could have made a tablecloth out of the appliqués.)
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @HaileyDancingbear is making her own dress, I believe.
  • Options
    Omg I didn't even think of that!!! I will be hitting up thrift stores next pay day!
  • Options
    Ohannabelle-what do you think about boning? With a drop waist I'm not sure if it would be about same length for an a-line or if the boning should go longer.
  • Options
    ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I would take the boning to below the waist, but stop above the hip. Have you done boned strapless before? Here 's the thing, if you haven't. 
    Most people try to get a good strapless fit by tightening the top of the bodice more than it should be, which is where you get that pinched bulge over the top look. The actual majority of the support that keeps it from slipping down should be at the waist. Absolutely add a waist stay to your lining to support the weight of the skirt, and stop that pull downwards before it starts.
    There are some really good step by step instructions here: http://sewaholic.net/sewing-a-waist-stay-in-a-full-skirted-dress/

ETA: Probably don't need to add : Obviously, the waist stay on the dress in the link is a different style of waist altogether. On yours, I'd add it directly to the lining at your natural waist, stopping a couple of inches before the back seam, before your lining is attached to the outer dress.
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the link.!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards