Wedding Invitations & Paper

Should I do save the dates?

we're having a small wedding (inviting maybe 60 people). It's probably an 7-8 hour drive tops for most of our family and friends. I also have a bunch of relatives out west that would need to fly out.

I have this fun idea for DIY STD postcards, but it's a lot of money involved. Or I can order some printed ones...haven't found any I truly love but they are like 50 cents a card. But are STDs really necessary?

Re: Should I do save the dates?

• STDs are not necessary at all if you don't want to spend the money. You can always just sent a casual email around to family announcing the date. 

But if you want to do them, you can do them very cheaply. We got 100 postcards from Vistaprint; including postage, I think I spent about $30 on the project in total.
  • atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Not necessary.  I just sent them to my closest guests and out of towners I really wanted to come.  I intentionally didn't send them to out of towners that I was obligated to invite because of my parents/because my parents had been invited to weddings involving their children/family members I'd never met or hadn't seen for 20+ years and didn't really care either way if they showed.  While I was still hammering out some budget details, I didn't want to send out a bunch then realize I didn't want to invite that many people.  Once you send an STD, there's no turning back.  If you do send them, make sure it's to people you're 100% committed to inviting.
  • I'm trying to invite as few people as possible. Unfortunately there are a lot of relatives (I'm not talking 2nd cousins on, I only mean aunts, uncles, and cousins...plus my parent's friends who are kinda like aunts/uncles). all the people who live out of town are relatives.
  • looks it'll be a little under $2 per STD (including postage). i think we'll have our picture on one side. we aren't officially announcing our engagement.so part of the reason I want STDs is to let people know.
  • Unless you are really attached to this design or having a very formal wedding, I wouldn't hundreds of dollars on STDs. Again Vistaprint can give you cute ones with a photo for dirt cheap.
  • can anyone show me their STD cards from vistaprint? i don't really like most of the ideas. i also want to see what the back looks like.
  • If you want to design your own, you can always just print it somewhere. FI designed our STDs and then we used Catprint.com to do the printing. Including postage and printing, I think we spent around $60-75 for sending out 50 STDs.
    Those were ours; we tinkered around with them a bit and then sent them out. Click (HERE) for the link to their gallery. 

• Check with a local print shop. I designed mine in Photoshop & Illustrator and got 200 printed for like $60 for full color both sides and I was able to see the draft hard copy and go back and tweak the colors and margins before they printed all 200. Plus now I know them and am comfortable going there for the rest of my printing needs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards