Wedding Invitations & Paper

Considering using Etsy + Vistaprint for all stationary, anyone have experience with this?

The theme of our wedding is a Tolkienesque enchanted forest.  We are going for a very Lord of the Rings inspired look without using any of the copyrighted or licensed imagery.  I personally feel the stationary for the wedding really sets the mood and gives my guests their first idea of what our wedding is going to be like.  Much to my surprise (sarcasm) there aren't a lot of LotR themed wedding invitations at places like MagnetStreet or Wedding Paper Divas.  So while they have some designs that sort of work, I am kind of picky about spending that much money on something I'm not in love with.  I also do not have a large budget to work with, so a lot of custom work is out of my price range.

We have found a wonderful artist on Etsy who has custom made LotR inspired invitation before and is very willing to work with us to custom make a whole suite of stationery for us to use.  The kicker is that the product she produces is a high resolution digital file that we would then take to another place like Kinkos or Vistaprint and print ourselves.  I have never done anything like that before and I am highly nervous about what the quality of the final product is going to be.  I am mostly worried about the quality from Vistaprint to be honest.  I feel silly for saying this, but the fact that the total cost of buying all the designs and printing it all with Vistaprint comes in so far under my budget I think is what is worrying me the most.  

TL;DR Has anyone used the Upload a Complete Design option with Vistaprint before?  How did the quality turn out? Has anyone purchased a digital download from Etsy and printed the invites themselves?  How did it turn out?   

Thank you so much in advance for sharing your experiences with me!

Re: Considering using Etsy + Vistaprint for all stationary, anyone have experience with this?

• Yes. I did this for my Christmas cards, which I designed myself, saved as a PDF, and uploaded to VistaPrint. They were fine. The printing wasn't super crisp, but I don't think most people would notice.
  • May I ask what paper stock you used? 
  • We are doing etsy STD's but are taking them to a local copy shop to have them printed instead of online. The reviews of the copy shop that we are using were great. That might be something else to look into.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I chose the 5"x7" flat card in Premium 100 lb. White Matte Stock. Because the card was a photo, I chose "Full bleed" to avoid any white border.
  • FI designed our STDs. We had them printed through a website called Catprint.com. I was pretty happy with the quality and price. It was about $50 to have 55 STDs printed, but the color and quality were great.
  • I've done it and it worked out great. I liked the quality. However, make sure your designer knows you're using vistaprint because their sizes are slightly off.
  • bekt14bekt14 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    I used Etsy for our Invites/RSVPs and it turned out great! The designer made several changes just the way I wanted them and was very quick to respond to all my requests. 
    I used Office Depot to do the printing/cutting, which turned out great but was very expensive. 
    I bought my cardstock and envelopes online from Staples because they were cheaper there, but the minimum quantity was 250 and I only needed 70. So now I have a BUNCH of extra!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • I've printing out inviations myself at FedEx print shop many times, and I would recommend that over using VistaPrint. I'm not too impressed with the quality of cardstock from VistaPrint, but if you print yourself you can use almost any kind of cardstock.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have also been disappointed with Vistaprint, but for business cards. Their printing can be a bit blurry. I think you can find something 200% better for just a little more money.

I was thinking of using Staples - they have really great prices. Has anyone used Staples?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimage
  • mrstowery You lookin to get rid of some of your extras for cheap :)? Wondering what kind you got?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimage
  • I bought an etsy PDF and used a local printer. They do more business printing than invitations, so they were extremely reasonably priced and everything came out great. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • mrstowery You lookin to get rid of some of your extras for cheap :)? Wondering what kind you got?
    Absolutely. I have tons! Especially envelopes. The outer envelopes are ivory and the inner envelopes are just white. I may keep the cardstock to print other things for the wedding (like place cards). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • @kat1114 Thank you so much for turning me on to Catprint.com! I used them for my Save the Dates and they are great! Just got my hard copy proof (free woot woot!) and approved it and they're sending my final cards! :D

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimage
  • @kat1114 Thank you so much for turning me on to Catprint.com! I used them for my Save the Dates and they are great! Just got my hard copy proof (free woot woot!) and approved it and they're sending my final cards! :D
    Glad it worked out for you! 
  • I haven't used vistaprint for invitation purposes but I have uploaded images and printed Etsy baby shower invitations using Sams Club and they were wonderful.  No blurry lines or color changes and all the guests loved them.  Also, walmartstationary.com has an option to upload your own custom image and print using their services.  We are using them for our invitations and they are VERY reasonably priced and the printing quality is beautiful.  

I would try sampling (printing one) at multiple businesses before committing to one.  It may cost a couple extra bucks to sample each business but if you ask some may do it for free in an attempt to get your business.  This way you have peace of mind that you are getting the best quality :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards