Wisconsin

outdoor wedding venue

I am recently engaged and we are just starting out looking for an outdoor venue for our ceremony and reception. It will be a small wedding, only immediate family so under 30 people, (10 of them being under 10,) for next summer. I was wondering anyones opinion and experience at Blue Harbor Resort in Sheboygan, Heidel House in Green Lake,Landmark Resort in Egg Harbor, The Waters of Minoqua, Stone Harbor Resort in Sturgeon Bay, Grand Geneva, The Cove or The Abbey in Lake Geneva. Photos would be a bonus! We are trying to narrow our list to 2-3 so we can visit them this summer. Thanks for any help given, this is a second wedding for both of us but still just as overwelming!

Re: outdoor wedding venue

• edited December 2011
    I know lots about Blue Harbor!  I would have LOVED to have had my wedding there, but it was WAY outside my price range. The food is delicious, the decore is professional and elegant, and I love the bar tenders.

The site has Many options for photography in the summer months (rocks, sand, the light house, Grass, beach grass, boardwalk, flowers, the white Blue Harbor pillars, the gazebo ect.). You can have your ceremony right there on the beach if you chose. You would have to check that out though, most couples do it right out the back doors of the lobby (it's kind of a beach area but small).

As for the hotel it's self, they charge a lot typically and I personally don't think it is worth the value unless you are springing for a larger room. The waterpark is small, and if it is slow in the hotel they shut it down early or all together (no adult area in it). The hotel it's self right now is currently either being sold or switching management (again), so I'm not sure how that will effect it's future.

I have some very good connections that run the banquet and Dinning area if you would like more Specific info. Shoot me a pm...
  • edited December 2011
    If your willing to come all the way to Blue Harbor, you should totally check out The Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake, I would recomend them over Blue harbor especially if you are planning an outdoor ceromony. There is a "real Knot" wedding that is featured on the website from the Osthoff. You might find it if you do a search for the city.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much, I actually just checked out the Osthoff and it looks amazing and exactly what we're looking for! Thanks again
  • edited December 2011
    I can tell you about the Grand Geneva and the Abbey.  Both are very pretty, but you will pay a pretty penny.  Maybe not so much if you are having a small wedding of 30 people.  I would recommend Abbey Springs, also in Fontana.  I am getting married at their lakeside tent.  You will definitely get more bang for your buck.  Good luck!
  • Walters4hawksWalters4hawks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it's a drive and out of state for you but have you have  been or checked out Galena, IL? IT'S AMAZING!! I'm from Iowa and got married in Galena at LeFevre Inn Resort. Also you should check out Oak HIlls! I can't say enough about Galena. I got my bridal gown, bridesmaid dresses, and tuxes thru I Do Bridal in Galena. They are amazing and our friends in our wedding didn't have to go to Galena to give them their measurements. It was really nice and they sent the girls their bridesmaid dresses when they got them in. They also have a wedding planner that I used, she is awesome we got along so well and she knew exactly what my husband and I was looking for and needed. Oh yeah and she has GREAT PRICES!! Other vendors we used:

Splinter Florsts-Flower/Centerpieces.....had no problem with her and loved everything!!!!

One Eleven Main-Rehearsal for 20ppl....LOVED Them!!!
    Stratton Busses/Limo....Limo...they were good!
    Log Cabin....for catering!
    Fringe Salon...Jen Gratz!

I hope this helps!! and hope you consider Galena...I can't say enough about this town and the peopl/vendors/venues.

• edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the suggestions and opinions, it really helps to start narrowing venues down, and I will definetly look into Galena.
  • DanicaDanica member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For your Door County resorts, I would go with Stone Harbor over Landmark.  More options there for you and they could possibly do a large dinner for 30 in the restaurant instead of in the ballroom.

Word of advice - Try to find a location that has smaller banquet rooms, restaurant private dining rooms, etc.  Some of the places you named above only have large spaces and they will either have a high food & beverage minimum to meet (which is hard for 30 people, especially if 10 of them are kids) or they just won't take your group on a peak date in the summer because they could book it for a 200 person wedding instead. 

I love the Osthoff and I believe they have some smaller banquet space that would work.  Also, check out the Heidel House.  More great space there too.
  • edited December 2011
    Danica, thanks for all the great advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards