• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Food and Cakes

Catering HELP!

I am looking for a unique food style for our outdoor July Wedding and Reception for 300 guests.

My first idea was food trucks, we are getting married close to Portland, OR...so there are hundreds of food trucks nearby, however, I can't seem to figure out how to get a hold of a single food truck! Also, I realize that it will take them quite some time to serve 300 people. So I would have to get at least 3 or so trucks....which adds up quickly.

My second thought was wood fired pizza & Salads...which I LOVE the idea of, who doesn't love a great, classy, artisan looking pizza?? But again, because of the 300 guests, they estimate it will take about an hour and a half to feed everyone. My concern is that people will be hungry waiting!

After speaking with the caterer, I have considered beginning pizza service (alongside passed appetizer service) during the cocktail hour. The DJ would announce that pizza is being served and that guests can begin eating when they are ready. There will also be lawn games during this time, so guests who aren't hungry could play games or mingle and drink. Pizza service will continue for dinner hour, again guests would be getting their pizza at their leisure. That way dinner should be entirely over after cocktail hour and dinner hour.

Here is my breakdown idea:

3:30-4 Ceremony

4-5 Cocktail Hour + Passed Appetizers + Lawn Games (pizza service will begin at 4:30 for guests who choose to begin--DJ would make announcement that dinner service can begin when guests choose)

5-6 Dinner Hour (pizza service will continue thru the remainder of dinner hour)

Am I crazy in thinking that guests will be okay with mingling, drinking, eating appetizers, playing yard games, and casually getting their pizza at their own pace? Are people going to be hungry and miserable? I really don't want to go the typical salmon/chicken route. Any better ideas??

Thanks!!

Re: Catering HELP!

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 Exit 21 (Jersey!) member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    I am looking for a unique food style for our outdoor July Wedding and Reception for 300 guests.

My first idea was food trucks, we are getting married close to Portland, OR...so there are hundreds of food trucks nearby, however, I can't seem to figure out how to get a hold of a single food truck! Also, I realize that it will take them quite some time to serve 300 people. So I would have to get at least 3 or so trucks....which adds up quickly.

My second thought was wood fired pizza & Salads...which I LOVE the idea of, who doesn't love a great, classy, artisan looking pizza?? But again, because of the 300 guests, they estimate it will take about an hour and a half to feed everyone. My concern is that people will be hungry waiting!

After speaking with the caterer, I have considered beginning pizza service (alongside passed appetizer service) during the cocktail hour. The DJ would announce that pizza is being served and that guests can begin eating when they are ready. There will also be lawn games during this time, so guests who aren't hungry could play games or mingle and drink. Pizza service will continue for dinner hour, again guests would be getting their pizza at their leisure. That way dinner should be entirely over after cocktail hour and dinner hour.

Here is my breakdown idea:

3:30-4 Ceremony

4-5 Cocktail Hour + Passed Appetizers + Lawn Games (pizza service will begin at 4:30 for guests who choose to begin--DJ would make announcement that dinner service can begin when guests choose)

5-6 Dinner Hour (pizza service will continue thru the remainder of dinner hour)

Am I crazy in thinking that guests will be okay with mingling, drinking, eating appetizers, playing yard games, and casually getting their pizza at their own pace? Are people going to be hungry and miserable? I really don't want to go the typical salmon/chicken route. Any better ideas??

Thanks!!
    Sorry, with 300 people, I think it's unrealistic to do wood-fired pizza.  If they say it takes an hour and a half to feed that many people, what happens to guest number 300 who get's their pizza when dinner service ends?  That's pretty crummy.

Not to mention the fact that, as a guest, I don't want to be standing in any lines.  When the DJ makes the announcement, even if a quarter of the guests got in line, that's 75 people!  This is not an enjoyable way to spend the reception and, quite honestly, I'd probably leave and head to a restaurant.

If you have a good caterer, I think you can have very good, crowd-pleasing plated meal options.
    snippet17
  • I could get you a contact for the 808 Grinds food truck.  I know that sometimes they travel with other trucks, so they could probably get another truck to tag along.  They do Hawaiian food.
  • I can handle the buffet aspect - it's OUTDOOR weather that would get me (bugs anyone??)...  And if it rains lawn games are over... 

IMO, if your caterer says "it takes an hour and a half to feed 300 people" - that means "It takes an hour and a half to feed 300 people" - and they know this because they've done it before.  4:30 is a bit early IMO to start serving dinner service but if they're all there ready to go, it could work, but I'd extend the service to two hours since you're casually running people through the line instead of tables/seating/formal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • what about doing stations

like a pasta station

mashed potato bar

carving station

veggie station 

or if you dont like the traditional chicken and salmon option ask the cater for other dinner option ideas. 

some that come to mind are braised lamb
    maybe like some kind of stew
    beef kebobs 

what about a clam bake?
  • what about doing stations

like a pasta station

mashed potato bar

carving station

veggie station 

or if you dont like the traditional chicken and salmon option ask the cater for other dinner option ideas. 

some that come to mind are braised lamb
    maybe like some kind of stew
    beef kebobs 

what about a clam bake?

Thank you for giving me some new ideas, and not just knocking mine. :)

I will look into some other ideas.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards