Chit Chat

First day of school

2»

Re: First day of school

• I skimmed this-- we're talking about bathroom breaks?

This was one battle I chose not to fight.  I enforced, strictly, that the first and last ten minutes have no breaks.  The middle twenty minutes, one person could go at a time depending on the activity (quiet work at your desk was the only time you were allowed to go).

I used to have this whole thing with "bathroom tickets" and a pass and it was just too much to keep track of.  I just cut my losses, enforced the timing rule, and stopped worrying about the rest of it.

SPED and inclusion--- I was the "regular ed" half of the inclusion classroom but I only had a SPED teacher for like 15% of all the blocks that were supposed to be inclusion.  I wound up having to teach myself (with lots of help from TFA) about the kids' various needs and how to do things like read an IEP or 504 plan, accommodate, etc.  It was really, really hard and not what I was expecting.

But this kind of stuff is why I was where I was in the first place, so I shouldn't have been that surprised.  Our school district was a hot mess.  Great kids and families, and even plenty of really awesome teachers, but hot damn the high administration had their heads up their asses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I had bladder infections and UTIs as a kid and I hated telling my teachers. It was embarrassing.  I was also in elementry school.
    Yup! My million-year-old first grade teacher would repeatedly make me wait and wait and waaaait for bathroom visits even though I was on the verge of peeing myself all the time due to UTIs, even after I told her what was going on.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• smichek said:
    I had bladder infections and UTIs as a kid and I hated telling my teachers. It was embarrassing.  I was also in elementry school.
    Same here...I would always have my mom write a note and I'd just hand it to the teacher and walk away and not say anything lol but they never stopped me if I had to go to the bathroom!
    All I remember is my horrible 4th grade English teacher responding to "can I go to the bathroom?" with "I don't know, CANNNNN you?" and mortifying the poor kid in front of the entire class. People stopped asking if they could go out of fear they'd forget to use "may I."

• smichek said:
    I had bladder infections and UTIs as a kid and I hated telling my teachers. It was embarrassing.  I was also in elementry school.
    Same here...I would always have my mom write a note and I'd just hand it to the teacher and walk away and not say anything lol but they never stopped me if I had to go to the bathroom!
    All I remember is my horrible 4th grade English teacher responding to "can I go to the bathroom?" with "I don't know, CANNNNN you?" and mortifying the poor kid in front of the entire class. People stopped asking if they could go out of fear they'd forget to use "may I."
    I had a teacher that did that too.  And anytime you asked him how to spell something he responded with "D-I-C-T-I-O-N-A-R-Y" 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    mysticl said:
    smichek said:
    I had a teacher that did that too.  And anytime you asked him how to spell something he responded with "D-I-C-T-I-O-N-A-R-Y" 
    That kind of shit drove me nuts. I never had an issue with spelling, but I always felt awful for kids with CLEAR reading difficulties who had no idea where to even begin to look up the spelling of words in the very imposing Merriam-Webster.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    mysticl said:
    smichek said:
    That kind of shit drove me nuts. I never had an issue with spelling, but I always felt awful for kids with CLEAR reading difficulties who had no idea where to even begin to look up the spelling of words in the very imposing Merriam-Webster.
    Ya, know.  Because you at least have to have a clue about how to spell it to look it up.  Like all those words that start with silent letters, if you don't know that you will start in the completely wrong part of the book.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    Why were you not doing anything in class today? Or was that for yesterday?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I hope today is going better!!
  • smichek said:
    AddieCake said:
    Why were you not doing anything in class today? Or was that for yesterday?
    We didn't do anything yesterday. PowerSchool fucked up and we couldn't get ANY schedules out, so all the teachers wound up holding their homeroom for two hours and then I guess a few people got schedules but not many. A temportary schedule was made to shuttle kids from room to room but there were gaps in it and it fell apart, so eventually most freshmen would up back in the auditorium. I didn't have any students from 10:30 until 2:50 because of the lack of schedules. Then I got part of my inclusion class until 4. (We are on an 8-4 schedule)

Today everyone has schedules and things are running smoothly. I'm on my planning period now and thinking about taking a nap. My first period class was good, 2nd period class was AWESOME, 3rd period was a nightmare, 4th was ok, now I'm knotting planning 5th period, then inclusion 6th. Inclusion was pretty rough yesterday. Things should get better when I get to see their IEP's.
    That seems like such a long school day to me.  Though it has to make things easier on working parents.  

And seriously, does the knot have any IT people working for them?  I am so glitchy today.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • smichek said:
    I just talked to the inclusion/SPED coordinator for my grade about doing 6 bathroom passes per semester and he said hat's what he does and it works great. I'm going to use it for all of my classes. He also said don't even mention emergencies. He said if they use all six and there is a real bladder emergency, I'll know. He also said he'd check IEPs and make sure he lets me know if I have any kids with medical issues that could require more passes. I think as added incentive I'll let students turn in extra passes for extra credit at the end of the semester.
    Oh crap, forgot to mention that part. Yes I do let them turn in any extra in at the end of semester for extra credit. But I only mention it a few times, I don't remind them on the last day. I also teach in a suburban, middleish class school too, so you may want to modify that part. It helps to teach them some self control, "Do I really really want to use this? Do I want to save it for extra credit on the final?" 

The first semester some kids went through them like they were nothing, then realized how much it could help them on their final and were upset they didn't have them. They got upset with me I wouldn't give them more passes. I reminded them they knew the policy and they made the choice to use their passes. Second semester there were a lot more students who held onto their passes, were more judicial in leaving class, and used them for extra credit. It was kind of cool to see their brains work to make those decisions. 
  • smichek said:
    Yeah it seems long to me too but it's normal. Schools are 7-3 or 8-4. When I was in school it was 8-2:45. Plus our year is 195 days, not 180. It's a new school that took over the old school here...the old school test scores were in the bottom 5% of the state last year. So we're trying really hard to change that because everyone still sees us as the old school.
    Normal for your area?  I've worked with a lot of schools as a social worker and have never had one that let out as late as 4.  Most of the high schools I dealt with were out around 2.  When I did the after school program it was a preK-8 school and they let out a little after 2.  

Don't get me wrong I can completely see the benefit of a longer school day and year.  Plenty of the kids I worked with could have benefited from that.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • smichek said:
    mysticl said:
    smichek said:
    Yeah it seems long to me too but it's normal. Schools are 7-3 or 8-4. When I was in school it was 8-2:45. Plus our year is 195 days, not 180. It's a new school that took over the old school here...the old school test scores were in the bottom 5% of the state last year. So we're trying really hard to change that because everyone still sees us as the old school.
    Normal for your area?  I've worked with a lot of schools as a social worker and have never had one that let out as late as 4.  Most of the high schools I dealt with were out around 2.  When I did the after school program it was a preK-8 school and they let out a little after 2.  

Don't get me wrong I can completely see the benefit of a longer school day and year.  Plenty of the kids I worked with could have benefited from that.   
    Yes, normal for the area. I live in the Memphis area and there were like 84 really bad schools in TN last year and 68 of them were in Memphis. The school we took over was one of the 68. The theory is long school days and longer year = more education = better test scores.
    Similar demographics in Detroit, and a common thought is "more time in school = less time unsupervised to get into trouble." 

• Glad today was better!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think it will be interesting to see how it works out. I know some of my special needs kids were approved for summer school because of how much they would backslide just from Friday to Monday so the idea of a whole summer of was unthinkable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hope things continue going better!

Has the first week of school exhaustion hit you yet? Maybe it's not as bad with older kids, but with elementary students I go home and take a nap every day during the first week of school.

We start next Monday, but we have parent meetings this evening.
  • They will push you hoping you will crack before they do. Be strong. Some days it may seem like it easier to give into them than to keep saying no. In the long run, just stick to your guns, keep going with what you started. You know you are doing the right thing. Tomorrow is hump day!
  • I had bladder infections and UTIs as a kid and I hated telling my teachers. It was embarrassing.  I was also in elementry school.
    I once found out I had a UTI in elementary school because my teacher had a 3 trips to the bathroom a day rule. I had already used all 3 before lunch and had to go again. When I told her, she called my mom. :)
  • jenajjthrjenajjthr member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    smichek said:

I told every class today about the new bathroom rule and my inclusion kids still had to "go to the bathroom" a lot. And now more of them are asking for water. They will always find something to ask for. I want to find a template for the bathroom passes tonight so I can implement it tomorrow and cut the nonsense. As far as water, I'm going to just start saying no. They have time to get a drink before and after class. And water is allowed in my class.

One kid pitched a fit when I said nothing but water is allowed in my class. He asked about white or clear gatorade and powerade and I said "No, it's sticky. You know how I know? Because my fiance didn't realize he spilled gatorade on my tile the other day and guess what I stepped in bare foot? STICKY GATORADE ON MY FLOOR. And guess who cleaned it? Not my fiance! So nothing but water. I don't care the color, I don't care if you have a cap. Water only. And no food."

When I get home I can send you my template if you want. You can modify as you want.
  • Congrats on your teaching job!  I also helped open a school last year, although I taught before that.  I teach middle/high school Autism support in a school for kids with severe educational and/or behavioral issues.  Last year was the first year my school was open and it was definitely a learning experience.  I go back the 19th.  I'm actually excited about getting back into it, but not so excited about summer being over yet.  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards