Wedding Reception Forum
Options

cold hors d'oeuvres???

JMS62415JMS62415 member
Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
edited August 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum
A little background: Our ceremony is a Catholic mass at 3 pm, gets over at 4, then we have photos while guests walk over to the reception hall which is about 30 feet from the church. We're keeping the doors closed to the inside of the reception hall because we're doing this grand entrance down a staircase inside (blah blah). 

Anyway, our cocktail hour is going to be about 45 min. long with 1-2 signature drinks but I have no idea what to serve. It's going to be outside in May. It'll be roughly 75-80 degrees hopefully so I'm thinking cold hors doeuvres. Any ideas?

Re: cold hors d'oeuvres???

  • Options
    There are literally 1,000s of great cold hors oeuvres, depending on your budget.  On the high end, you could go with mini shrimp cocktails, which is basically one shrimp in a shot glass with cocktail sauce, any type of vegetables standing up in a small cup that has dip in it, anything chicken (as long as it does not have puff pastry that is cold), fruit on skewers, cheeses, finger sandwiches, etc.  I think it would be a good idea to have plenty of soft drinks passed on trays as well (pink lemonade, water, iced tea) in pretty glasses.
  • Options
    PP has some great suggestions. You could also do cucumber salad and tomato & mozzarella salad. 
  • Options
    Is there a reason you're thinking of offering only cold hors d'oeuvres? I know personally I like to eat a mix of cold and warm foods despite the outside temperature.
  • Options
    Make sure there is a way to keep the cold stuff cold. It can't just be sitting out in 80 degree weather for over 45 minutes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    For the drinks you could do:

    - John Daly (alcoholic Arnold Palmer)
    - Mojito
    - champagne punch
    - just make sure you have water

    For the food you could do:
    - shrimp cocktail
    - fruit and veggie platter
    - caprese kebob (bocconcini + cherry tomato + basil drizzled in balsamic) 
    - antipasto platter
    - olives + cheese on toothpick
    - pancetta wrapped around asparagus and cheese
    - smoked salmon on a bagel chip with herbed cream cheese

    There are a million options, but you really should talk to a caterer about what they suggest and look at what you can afford.
    *********************************************************************************

    image
  • Options
    JMS62415 said:
    A little background: Our ceremony is a Catholic mass at 3 pm, gets over at 4, then we have photos while guests walk over to the reception hall which is about 30 feet from the church. We're keeping the doors closed to the inside of the reception hall because we're doing this grand entrance down a staircase inside (blah blah). 

    Anyway, our cocktail hour is going to be about 45 min. long with 1-2 signature drinks but I have no idea what to serve. It's going to be outside in May. It'll be roughly 75-80 degrees hopefully so I'm thinking cold hors doeuvres. Any ideas?
    Are you going to have tents or some type of cover for the cocktail hour? Or are people just going to be standing around a parking lot?
  • Options
    I prefer a mixture of hot and cold apps, regardless of the weather. I don't find cold food to be refreshing the way a cold drink is - I don't think "man it's hot out; I could really go for some crudite." I want food that's good. And remember, the hotter it is, the easier it'll be to keep the hot things hot! :)

    image
    image
  • Options
    Talk to your caterer. They'll have tons of suggestions. One thing I really liked at a past wedding was little cubes of watermelon with balsamic and feta sprinkled on it. Doesn't sound like those things would go well with watermelon but it was delicious. Hummus with pita chips is always popular. You could also do cold soup shooters (like gazpacho), sushi (maybe just vegetable sushi... I wouldn't eat raw fish that's been sitting out in the heat), etc.
    image
  • Options
    Our cold horse d'oeuvres were: sushi (stationary app), scallop with black bean salad (it was served in a spoon), goat cheese stuffed fig with lavender honey, and seared tuna on a wonton with wasabi cream
  • Options
    We agree that you don't only need to serve cold apps. Serving hot apps is filling and gives you more options! Mini sliders, warm tarts, pigs in a blanket and mini pizzas are crowd pleasers. For cold apps, we love having a charcuterie and cheese table to insure all of your guests have something to eat!

    xx,
    Brooke & Dana
    the new way to plan your wedding
    @KnotPorscha I think we have a vendor.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @lovedetailed, you cannot advertize here.  @KnotPorscha



  • Options
    Jeebus, if this broad has been banned why is her spam still even showing up? Why isn't it getting deleted?

    image
    image
  • Options
    I love antipasto and cold seafood appetizers, also mini gazpacho shooters.

    But the biggest thing I love...passed things that are bite size/can be managed while holding a drink.  Most cocktail hours have a few high-boy tables to gather around, but not a lot of places to sit down a drink/purse and eat.  So anything needs to be in a spoon, shooter, on fork or skewer, or something you can eat in one bite.  It's too hard to eat things that are big, need to be cut, or require utensils at a cocktail hour.  I prefer passed appetizers because I don't like to eat off of veggie/cheese/whatever displays that have been picked over and look sad/pilaged.
  • Options
    Jeebus, if this broad has been banned why is her spam still even showing up? Why isn't it getting deleted?
    Because logic.  :p



  • Options
    Also, keep in mind, weather fluctuates. I got married in June and assumed I would have hot weather. I did not.

    I agree with others, have both hot and cold h'orderves
  • Options
    zitiqueen said:
    JMS62415 said:
    A little background: Our ceremony is a Catholic mass at 3 pm, gets over at 4, then we have photos while guests walk over to the reception hall which is about 30 feet from the church. We're keeping the doors closed to the inside of the reception hall because we're doing this grand entrance down a staircase inside (blah blah). 

    Anyway, our cocktail hour is going to be about 45 min. long with 1-2 signature drinks but I have no idea what to serve. It's going to be outside in May. It'll be roughly 75-80 degrees hopefully so I'm thinking cold hors doeuvres. Any ideas?
    Are you going to have tents or some type of cover for the cocktail hour? Or are people just going to be standing around a parking lot?
    Yes. There's a huge patio with shading outside of the reception area. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all the ideas! I'm still not sure what we're gonna do but you gave me a lot to think about. 
  • Options
    I think we're going to get a couple of these things called Fill N Chill tables for our reception. Fill it with ice, put things that need to stay cold in the ice:

    image

    They have options to keep things steady on top of the ice or IN it so that might work. Pretty cheap to rent.
    --

    I'm the fuck
    out.

    image
  • Options
    beethery said:
    I think we're going to get a couple of these things called Fill N Chill tables for our reception. Fill it with ice, put things that need to stay cold in the ice:

    image

    They have options to keep things steady on top of the ice or IN it so that might work. Pretty cheap to rent.
    That's awesome. I've never seen one before. Do you have a link or can you tell me where I can find one?
  • Options
    Mine will be coming from here (click)

    Caterers might have something like that too.
    --

    I'm the fuck
    out.

    image
  • Options
    beethery said:
    Mine will be coming from here (click)

    Caterers might have something like that too.

    STUCK IN BOX

    Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards