Chit Chat

Monday things

2»

Re: Monday things

• @JCbride2015. When do you get the bar results? When my husband took them in MA, many eons ago, it was four months.
  • @JCbride2015. When do you get the bar results? When my husband took them in MA, many eons ago, it was four months.

Yes, that sounds about right. I should hear in mid November. So either way, I'm starting work before I'm barred. God that makes me nervous too! But I hear everyone feels terrible about the bar, so I'm trying to stay positive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• pinkcow13 said:
    pinkcow13 said:
    KatieinBkln - congrats!!!!!! That is such an amazing accomplishment! I swam 7 laps yesterday for the first time in years - I don't swim much. I was pretty exhausted lol. 

My abs are sore from swimming and spinning - I went to the NY Health and Racquet club with my BFF who had a guest pass for me. I slept like a baby last night. Until FI's job called at 3AM due to some issue. I'm pretty tired and lazy, but it's my birthday on Wednesday!!!!! The dirty 30 o_O. So I'm just looking forward to a fun week. 
    Happy almost birthday!

Swimming a lot always causes me to sleep like a baby and eat like a horse. Works for me, since swimming+eating+sleeping are basically my favorite things.
    Thanks! Where do you usually swim? I rarely swim, but after yesterday I definitely want to take up swimming. It's such an amazing workout! I just started googling places to swim in NYC. Preferably for free, but I doubt I'll get that lucky lol.
    @pinkcow13 I have a Parks Department pass for the Recreation Centers (<<Click) all around town. It's like $125 for the whole year and access to all locations, so it's pretty rad. Pools are fine; can be crowded, and the facilities are definitely bare-bones. But the water's clean! And they're a full 25 yards, which I've found is rarely the case at private gyms, even fancy ones like Equinox.

I'm looking into actual programs for fall/winter. I want to join a swim team for grown-ups. They have master's swim teams all over the city, but they're not cheap so I have to wrap my brain around them and see if I can budget. 
    Oh, I used to have a membership with them, years ago! I actually really like going to the Recreation Center because the hours were awesome. The only reason I did not renew my membership is that I started going to the gym at my job, which is free. The hours are fine, I started going during lunch, but there is no pool, and they are closed on weekends. I think I will get another membership - completely forgot about them!. I was not going to renew my kickboxing membership, so swimming can now replace that! At a way better price.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I'm giving my first professional presentation to over 100 people tomorrow morning. It's my first of four presentations this week. This is the first time I'm being paid to present, and I'm the only PhD grad student/non-official doctor on the conference list. I'm so freaking nervous.
  • Eeehh. I'm so tired today. And I was in bed at 10pm. I need a cup of coffee, but I don't feel like walking to the Keurig. That's how lazy I am today! 
    And instead of working, I'm researching things to see in Florence while we're on our HM. 
    And I'm getting my teeth whitened later. Woo hoo! 
    @climbingbrideny GO TO GOLDEN VIEW RESTAURANT. GO THERE. REPEATEDLY.

It's not far from Ponte Vecchio. Also, go to Baldovino, it's right by Santa Croce. Get gelato every.fucking.day. EVERY DAY. SO GOOD.

And if you're into somewhat creepy stuff, there is a huge cemetary with really incredible sculptures up on the hill outside of town, across the river.

AND take a bus trip to Fiesole and walk around there for a while. It is cute as hell.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    Eeehh. I'm so tired today. And I was in bed at 10pm. I need a cup of coffee, but I don't feel like walking to the Keurig. That's how lazy I am today! 
    And instead of working, I'm researching things to see in Florence while we're on our HM. 
    And I'm getting my teeth whitened later. Woo hoo! 
    @climbingbrideny GO TO GOLDEN VIEW RESTAURANT. GO THERE. REPEATEDLY.

It's not far from Ponte Vecchio. Also, go to Baldovino, it's right by Santa Croce. Get gelato every.fucking.day. EVERY DAY. SO GOOD.

And if you're into somewhat creepy stuff, there is a huge cemetary with really incredible sculptures up on the hill outside of town, across the river.

AND take a bus trip to Fiesole and walk around there for a while. It is cute as hell.
    Thank you @Beethery! I'm adding that to my list. 
  • drptobe14 said:
    I'm giving my first professional presentation to over 100 people tomorrow morning. It's my first of four presentations this week. This is the first time I'm being paid to present, and I'm the only PhD grad student/non-official doctor on the conference list. I'm so freaking nervous.
    Good luck! You'll crush it.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • FI and I went to the town hall to FINALLY check it out. It's a little beat up in some spots, but some creative decorating would do well to cover it. Sigh.

We're going to take a tour of the museum that is the other venue option. It's very pretty from what I can tell, and would probably be VERY convenient for everybody. A good bit more expensive though.

My mom texted me this morning to ask how much the town hall was (which I thought was odd because she knows).

So I told her, and she sent me this:

And then told me whenever I tell her a price for something, EVEN IF IT'S A NICKEL, she's going to send me that hahahahahaha

She ain't right.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

Yes, that sounds about right. I should hear in mid November. So either way, I'm starting work before I'm barred. God that makes me nervous too! But I hear everyone feels terrible about the bar, so I'm trying to stay positive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm bored out of my mind.  The project I am supposed to work on got postponed (with no real timeline).  But, the client specifically requested me (they apparently love me, and why wouldn't they?), so the account manager has put me on a hold for 2 weeks.

My sister and her husband were in town this weekend for a wedding, so they stayed with us.  My brother and his girlfriend (and her daughter) came over Saturday night for game night, which was a LOT of fun!  And it was a blast meeting his new girlfriend!

On a more somber note, I found out this weekend that a friend is in a physically abusive marriage.  They just got married in October.  I know the groom moderately well and would have NEVER guessed this.  I feel so badly for her. 
  • I'm so behind.  I just got up an hour ago.  Not sure why I'm sleeping in so late, since I'm on perm holidays and getting lots of sleep anyways.  But it's August long weekend here, so no work for DH.  I'm gonna make him work around the house though.  Also going to go check on the wasps next he took out last night.  Hopefully they're all gone

• Happy Monday !

My day is okay, I guess.   Although I wish I could fly to NOLA and strangle my boss' son.   Dude your family owns 2 guest houses.   Guest houses are a 24 hour operation.   You are too cheap to hire staff.   That means you have to work all the time.   He doesn't get that.  He thinks it's okay not to answer the phones for 2 days.  Not show up for work until 10am.  Leave early, because he has kids and is too cheap for a babysitter.          THIS IS A BUSINESS.    If you can't work the hours get out of the business, but at this rate your family business is going down because you will not work.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I am not having this Monday. I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights, which is strange because I finally got more of my zanaflex after not having it for a month. Zanaflex is a muscle relaxer I take before bed that usually helps me sleep- but I've been laying in bed for an hour and then tossing and turning all night. Then when I wake up, I'm tired and groggy. This is NOT how this medicine usually effects me, I'm hopeful I'll get used to it again soon.

I'm also sore from a weekend of painting and really looking forward to leaving for vacation on Wednesday night. I have a project I should get done before I go- but mentally I'm just not here today. I'm tired, hazy and not on point at all. The idea of spending hours doing hardcore strategy is more than I can bare right now. I wish I could just throw in the towel and go home. 
  • I'm bored out of my mind.  The project I am supposed to work on got postponed (with no real timeline).  But, the client specifically requested me (they apparently love me, and why wouldn't they?), so the account manager has put me on a hold for 2 weeks.

My sister and her husband were in town this weekend for a wedding, so they stayed with us.  My brother and his girlfriend (and her daughter) came over Saturday night for game night, which was a LOT of fun!  And it was a blast meeting his new girlfriend!

On a more somber note, I found out this weekend that a friend is in a physically abusive marriage.  They just got married in October.  I know the groom moderately well and would have NEVER guessed this.  I feel so badly for her. 
    I am so sorry about your friend! I am glad she felt comfortable sharing with you, though. Hopefully she can get out of there ASAP (and he can get some counseling, but honestly that is tertiary and separate from her health and safety).
  • drptobe14 said:
    I'm giving my first professional presentation to over 100 people tomorrow morning. It's my first of four presentations this week. This is the first time I'm being paid to present, and I'm the only PhD grad student/non-official doctor on the conference list. I'm so freaking nervous.
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fantastic. Drink some wine and remind yourself you are a bright human being! 

I once got asked to moderate a debate on uses of torture in counter terrorism campaigns (of all things). I was a little masters candidate in a room full of SMEs and human rights advocates. It was awful, but I felt empowered ( well and depressed - torture is depressing) after I did it. 

Yikes. Prayers for your friend that she can get out. 
  • PDKHKatieinBkln,
    Thanks.  From what she's told me, her husband has been arrested and she is staying with her family.  I just feel so badly for her
  • PDKHKatieinBkln,
    Thanks.  From what she's told me, her husband has been arrested and she is staying with her family.  I just feel so badly for her
    Sending prayers for her.  What a terrible situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @sarahbear31, that is terrible. Sending prayers your friend's way. I'm glad she had the courage to stand up for herself though. I get really upset when I read the stories of women who knew the relationship was abusive but never left or took action.

My Monday has not been so great. Didn't sleep well and then have been crazy busy at work (but not too busy for TK). Rolled my ankle getting my 2pm dose of coffee. I'm hoping life will improve this afternoon, though I'm not holding out much hope.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• PDKHKatieinBkln,
    That is terrible. I hope she's OK. 
  • Thanks everyone.  It's so frustrating, especially since she told me that some of this went down while they were engaged.  She lives in Ohio & I live in Texas, so I just feel so helpless.  I'm just glad she had the courage to speak up and get the authorities involved.
  • Just got off the phone with dh. He's furious to learn his dad and stepmother never got the reports from BIL's autopsy and desth investigation. (Coroner ruled it a suicide but we are 99.999% sure he overdosed on something he wasn't supposed to take; no note, and the boy was to get married in September; nothing points to suicide).

Dh has spent the last half hour trying to talk to someone in the city where BIL died about getting these reports (to read for his own peace of mind and closure) and its apparently like pulling teeth. I've a feeling after I get back to FL late Tuesday night, after mom leaves to go home we will drive to BILs city to get answers in person on Wednesday. Dh is calling my dad (former coroner) tonight and getting input on better ways to phrase his requests and get some better results from these people.

Dh has also informed me he deleted his stepmother and BILs former fiancee from Facebook. Ive a feeling the deletion of his stepmom will cause some waves, especially since its primarily because he is tired of her posts (every day is another post about missing bil along with a photo; I get that she's grieving and some folks are very public about their grief but a) the constant postings make it seem like dh doesnt exist/doesnt matter and b) lately the constant posting feels a lot less "we miss him" and a lot more "look at me, look at MEEE!"

hope everyone else's Monday afternoon is going ok
  • emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    Just got off the phone with dh. He's furious to learn his dad and stepmother never got the reports from BIL's autopsy and desth investigation. (Coroner ruled it a suicide but we are 99.999% sure he overdosed on something he wasn't supposed to take; no note, and the boy was to get married in September; nothing points to suicide). Dh has spent the last half hour trying to talk to someone in the city where BIL died about getting these reports (to read for his own peace of mind and closure) and its apparently like pulling teeth. I've a feeling after I get back to FL late Tuesday night, after mom leaves to go home we will drive to BILs city to get answers in person on Wednesday. Dh is calling my dad (former coroner) tonight and getting input on better ways to phrase his requests and get some better results from these people. Dh has also informed me he deleted his stepmother and BILs former fiancee from Facebook. Ive a feeling the deletion of his stepmom will cause some waves, especially since its primarily because he is tired of her posts (every day is another post about missing bil along with a photo; I get that she's grieving and some folks are very public about their grief but a) the constant postings make it seem like dh doesnt exist/doesnt matter and b) lately the constant posting feels a lot less "we miss him" and a lot more "look at me, look at MEEE!" hope everyone else's Monday afternoon is going ok
    Not to sound harsh, but could he not have just hid her posts from showing up to not make waves. I definitely understand his reasoning because I'm sure it is difficult already and seeing those posts everyday only make it worse. But for the sake of peace, he could have just hid her posts. 

• Just got off the phone with dh. He's furious to learn his dad and stepmother never got the reports from BIL's autopsy and desth investigation. (Coroner ruled it a suicide but we are 99.999% sure he overdosed on something he wasn't supposed to take; no note, and the boy was to get married in September; nothing points to suicide). Dh has spent the last half hour trying to talk to someone in the city where BIL died about getting these reports (to read for his own peace of mind and closure) and its apparently like pulling teeth. I've a feeling after I get back to FL late Tuesday night, after mom leaves to go home we will drive to BILs city to get answers in person on Wednesday. Dh is calling my dad (former coroner) tonight and getting input on better ways to phrase his requests and get some better results from these people. Dh has also informed me he deleted his stepmother and BILs former fiancee from Facebook. Ive a feeling the deletion of his stepmom will cause some waves, especially since its primarily because he is tired of her posts (every day is another post about missing bil along with a photo; I get that she's grieving and some folks are very public about their grief but a) the constant postings make it seem like dh doesnt exist/doesnt matter and b) lately the constant posting feels a lot less "we miss him" and a lot more "look at me, look at MEEE!" hope everyone else's Monday afternoon is going ok
    Oh gosh, that's terrible.  I remember your posts from when it first happened and it really didn't sound like a suicide.  I'll keep you guys in my thoughts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have Mondays off, so pretty good!  Except H has to work today, and he is supposed to have Mondays off as well. I'm not too pleased about that.  His boss scheduled a thing today he has to work on instead of scheduling it on Saturday (which both of us work) which he could have easily.  Jerk.
  • My bestie/ MOH is in town right now. I get to keep her for 24 hours. We are going to paint our nails and giggle all night and FI just has to deal with it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • kat1114 said:
    I'm physically exhausted, but pretty happy--I did the New York City Triathlon yesterday! I was really worried about it because I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked due to a heel spur flare-up/vacation/laziness, but it went really well! Now I am sore as hell but very pleased with myself!

Here's hoping for good news for you soon, JC. 
    That post doesn't have nearly enough exclamation points, @KatieInBkln! Kick ass!!!
    Thanks, Lolo! 

Fun fact for anyone interested in triathl-ing: The sorest part is the crotch. For real. Biking is no joke!

*SITB

@KatieInBkln: Try tilting your bike seat down. I just started getting into cycling in the last few months, and as I started getting into 20-30 mile rides, I had the worst crotch pain that would linger for days after my rides. I read online that tilting your seat down can help, so I (my FI), adjusted my seat to a slight downward angle. I rode 50 miles last week with absolutely ZERO crotch pain. It was amazing.
    I need to try this. We go on long (25-40 mile) rides and sometimes the crotch pain is unbearable.
  • sarahufl said:
    kat1114 said:
    I'm physically exhausted, but pretty happy--I did the New York City Triathlon yesterday! I was really worried about it because I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked due to a heel spur flare-up/vacation/laziness, but it went really well! Now I am sore as hell but very pleased with myself!

That post doesn't have nearly enough exclamation points, @KatieInBkln! Kick ass!!!
    Thanks, Lolo! 

Fun fact for anyone interested in triathl-ing: The sorest part is the crotch. For real. Biking is no joke!

*SITB

@KatieInBkln: Try tilting your bike seat down. I just started getting into cycling in the last few months, and as I started getting into 20-30 mile rides, I had the worst crotch pain that would linger for days after my rides. I read online that tilting your seat down can help, so I (my FI), adjusted my seat to a slight downward angle. I rode 50 miles last week with absolutely ZERO crotch pain. It was amazing.
    I need to try this. We go on long (25-40 mile) rides and sometimes the crotch pain is unbearable.
    Yeah, I think should do this, too! And get a new fitting altogether--I feel like I'm putting too much weight on my hands when I ride, yet I'm not tilted forward "all the way" like the fast riders. Maybe I need those sweet elbow rests so I can really lean in. My back and neck get sore after riding a long way.

• sarahufl said:
    kat1114 said:

Thanks, Lolo! 

*SITB

Yeah, I think should do this, too! And get a new fitting altogether--I feel like I'm putting too much weight on my hands when I ride, yet I'm not tilted forward "all the way" like the fast riders. Maybe I need those sweet elbow rests so I can really lean in. My back and neck get sore after riding a long way.
    I would like to get a fit too, because although adjusting my seat took away the crotch pain, I'm now putting more pressure on my hands, so I've had some arm/shoulder pain lately. But I'll take that over crotch pain!

You might also want to look into a new saddle. They have some specifically designed for women that are supposed to allow you to tilt forward without placing extra pressure on your "sensitive" areas.
  • kat1114 said:

sarahufl said:
    kat1114 said:

Thanks, Lolo! 

*SITB

I would like to get a fit too, because although adjusting my seat took away the crotch pain, I'm now putting more pressure on my hands, so I've had some arm/shoulder pain lately. But I'll take that over crotch pain!

You might also want to look into a new saddle. They have some specifically designed for women that are supposed to allow you to tilt forward without placing extra pressure on your "sensitive" areas.
    I have an anatomical seat! And I love it in general (shorter rides are pain-free). I think the tilt might do the trick, especially since I find myself "scooting back" on it all the time to actually get my, uh, parts, in the right spot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards