Chit Chat

Fucking UTI's

This is my second UTI in two months. The first one I got right after we got back from the honeymoon and I figured I had it coming after having a sex-filled week. I know that is a stereotype, and not always true, but DH and I were pretty much abstinent until marriage, so I was expecting that my body might have a reaction. Now, I have another one. And I'm stuck at work going to the bathroom every 5-10 minutes. I'd really like to deal with this in the privacy of my own home, but I don't think I can make the 30 minute drive back to my apartment. Gah. Being a woman blows.

Any tips/tricks? I'm taking AZO tablets leftover from my last one, and sucking down water like a mo fo. Boo.
imageimage">

Re: Fucking UTI's

• Cranberry juice and lay off the caffeine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Did you call in for a prescription yet? The water and azo will semi help with the symptoms but you need antibiotics to actually get rid of the infection. They help it feel better within a few hours. I used to get them a lot when I first lost my virginity and didn't know about peeing. Always pee within 30 minutes after having sex. Since I learned that I haven't had one in 10 years.

larrygagawandajune6RebeccaB88
  • I take cranberry extract pills.  Also, make sure you urinate every time after you have sex.
    pinkshorts27
  • edited August 2014
    UTIs are the worst. I do everything you're supposed to and I still get them all the time. 

Drink a lot of water. 
    To get rid of the urgency sensation, use tea tree oil. You can get it at any health food store. Just rub the tea tree oil right on your lady bits. 

To prevent them, I drink two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every day. I also use this stuff called D-Mannose. I put a little in my water every day. It really helps in preventing them.
  • edited August 2014
    Get Cystex, it's way better than AZO. You really should get an antibiotic too - you likely didn't fully kill the infection after the last one, just stifled it, and now it's back. The Cystex will help the pain until you get to the doctor.

ETA and don't drink cranberry "cocktail," which has sugar in it. Sugar makes it worse.

gingerbride82
  • The reason why I'm so annoyed is that I do everything right! I took a full cycle of antiobiotic the last time, and always pee or shower after sex. I just called my doctor to get another prescription for this one. I feel like I'm being as hygenic as I can, and yet....
    imageimage">
    emmaaa
  • I agree with PP's. The infection probably never fully went away the last time and has flared back up. A prescription will help get ride of it completely.

I'm fortunate to have never had one, probably because I take every precaution necessary. If you don't, really try to drink lots of water, pee before and after sex. 

• The reason why I'm so annoyed is that I do everything right! I took a full cycle of antiobiotic the last time, and always pee or shower after sex. I just called my doctor to get another prescription for this one. I feel like I'm being as hygenic as I can, and yet....
    Oh, well then... just fuck UTIs. Some women are just physically shaped in a way that makes you more susceptible. (Guilty) Peeing is better than showering after sex though... it gets the muscles contracting outward to flush out any bacteria. Cranberry capsules should help too.

This was my problem too. And every antibiotic they gave me would then turn into a yeast infection. This is why I now only use the stuff I mentioned before. It really does work. 
    This was my problem too. And every antibiotic they gave me would then turn into a yeast infection. This is why I now only use the stuff I mentioned before. It really does work. 
    I eat yogurt for breakfast every morning... I've been told that the natural bacteria keeps you balanced, even while on antibiotics, so they don't throw you out of whack into yeast infection land.

I eat yogurt for breakfast every morning... I've been told that the natural bacteria keeps you balanced, even while on antibiotics, so they don't throw you out of whack into yeast infection land.

Stupid boxes! 

I have to stay away from dairy. Boo! 
  • Also... did they test the strain of bacteria the last time, or just confirm "you have a UTI; here's your prescription." I've had some that turned out to be resistant to the type of antibiotic they gave me, so they had to switch my pills.

Way back when I got my first UTI my doctor told me that once you have one you are more likely to get another one.  In fact they had me come back in every few weeks to give a urine sample and did detect one before I was even symptomatic and another time I had just started getting symptoms the day before so didn't feel the need to call since I already had the appointment.  Oh, and I was a virgin, they had nothing to do with sexual activity.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used to get UTIs all the time and since you go to the bathroom every few minutes, I found drinking a butt ton of water so you actually have something to pee out helps with the pain. Get an antibiotic for sure and remember what got you the infection in the first place!!! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Totally true....I've eaten yogurt daily for my entire life and I've never gotten a yeast infection once. Even when I was on really strong IV antibiotics for a bone infection, the doctor was sure I'd get one and I didn't. @climbingbrideny maybe those probiotic pills have the same type of probiotic bacteria without the dairy?

• edited August 2014
    jenna8984 said:
    The reason why I'm so annoyed is that I do everything right! I took a full cycle of antiobiotic the last time, and always pee or shower after sex. I just called my doctor to get another prescription for this one. I feel like I'm being as hygenic as I can, and yet....
    Totally true....I've eaten yogurt daily for my entire life and I've never gotten a yeast infection once. Even when I was on really strong IV antibiotics for a bone infection, the doctor was sure I'd get one and I didn't. @climbingbrideny maybe those probiotic pills have the same type of probiotic bacteria without the dairy?
    It's possible! But honestly, I haven't had a yeast infection since I stopped taking antibiotics for UTIs. My lady parts are all good now :-)
  • I used to get a lot of UTIs. . . . like every few months.  It was awful.  I found a really great doctor who asked a ton of questions and did a thorough exam of me, including an ultrasound to make sure my blader emptied completely (apparently if it doesn't, it can cause them, who knew)

Anyway, since mine seemed to be correlated to sex (despite taking all of the precautions too) he prescribed me a really low dose antibiotic that I now take after sex.  DH must hate it, as I always have to go downstairs to pee after, then take my medicine, lol.  Anyway, since I have gotten this prescription 2+ years ago I have had absolutely 0 issues. 

Additionally, I have spoken to the doctor about having kids in the future.  Apparently this medicine is generally safe to use when pregnancy (I'll confirm with my OB/GYN when that time comes) because apparently it is much better than trying to treat a pregnant woman for a UTI after she has it when so many medicines aren't able to be taken.

the medicine is called macrodantin in case you want to ask your doctor about it.

• I hate UTI's with a passion. They have practically ruined my sex life and I am still getting over my fear of them. Fiance and I are working on being more intimate and I am working on trying not to worry so much about getting them all of the time. I used to get them every two to three months until I started taking D-Mannose. I buy mine off of Amazon and it is the 500mg NOW capsules. I was able to avoid getting them for about six months and then I forgot to take them. It was probably the worst UTI I have ever had. I now always make sure to take at least three before sex and three after. It has been maybe four months since I had my last one now. I never drink anything besides water now when I am intimate. I always make sure to pee a few times after sex and before bed. I also occasionally take AZO cranberry soft gels as well. UTI's suck and I have learned from experience that it is easier to prevent them than to get rid of them.

I wish I would have had a doctor tell me about D-Mannose at some point in my life but none of them have ever mentioned it. Anytime you go to a doctor for a UTI make sure they do a culture so that you are getting an antibiotic that will actually cure it. I did not have a culture taken for my last UTI and I was being treated with antibiotics that were resistant to the bacteria. I finally got a culture and they had to call in a new prescription with an antibiodic that would take care of the problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for all your advice ladies! This is gross, embarrassing crap I hate talking about IRL, so Internet friends for the win. There were a lot of really good suggestions that I will hopefully never have to use in the future. ;-)

The pain was so bad at work, I ended up leaving and just sucking up the 30 mins of feeling like I was gonna pee my pants on the drive to the doctors office. I was able to get in to see my PCP and she prescribed a different antibiotic than last time. I'm thankful my job is pretty flexible so I was able to take a half day without a problem. I'm just gonna relax and watch food network for the rest of the afternoon while I wait for the meds to kick in.
    imageimage">
  • I used to get chronic UTIs in my early 20s. It was from holding it for long periods when I had to pee (the joys of working food service and retail). I ended up having to have a procedure done by a urologist because I couldn't deal with taking antibiotics every 6 weeks anymore.

OP, I hope this dose of antibiotics clears up your infection!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• The only UTI I've ever had was from staying in the bath too long. UTIs are still bullcrap. Hope you feel better soon!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I agree with the PPs. Cranberry juice (not cocktail), pee after, and drink lots of water. I can't speak to the other pills but don't forget to take the full course of antibiotics.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had one once that was so bad I woke up in the middle of the night and sat on the floor of the bath tub with the shower running. I almost peed the bed it was so bad, so I figured peeing in the shower would be better.

TMI, I know- but I feel ya.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    I've never had one, but after we started having sex, I got a yeast infection about once every two months. I bought a new wash specifically for down there, Summer's Eve was the brand, and started using it every time I showered.  I haven't gotten one since. Maybe something like that would help?
  • limit sugar in your diet and alcohol. wipe front to back.  wear cotton panties. don't use lube during sex. drink water and green tea .

• Inkdancer said:
    The only UTI I've ever had was from staying in the bath too long. UTIs are still bullcrap. Hope you feel better soon!
    Oh, yeah due to my history I do not take baths.  If I do soak in the tub it is clear water only. I do not introduce any soap type products to the water.  If I need to wash my body I drain the tub and take a shower.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kaos16 said:

I used to get a lot of UTIs. . . . like every few months.  It was awful.  I found a really great doctor who asked a ton of questions and did a thorough exam of me, including an ultrasound to make sure my blader emptied completely (apparently if it doesn't, it can cause them, who knew)

Anyway, since mine seemed to be correlated to sex (despite taking all of the precautions too) he prescribed me a really low dose antibiotic that I now take after sex.  DH must hate it, as I always have to go downstairs to pee after, then take my medicine, lol.  Anyway, since I have gotten this prescription 2+ years ago I have had absolutely 0 issues. 

Additionally, I have spoken to the doctor about having kids in the future.  Apparently this medicine is generally safe to use when pregnancy (I'll confirm with my OB/GYN when that time comes) because apparently it is much better than trying to treat a pregnant woman for a UTI after she has it when so many medicines aren't able to be taken.

the medicine is called macrodantin in case you want to ask your doctor about it.

I had UTI's as a kid. I was 6-9 years old and getting them, because I had bladder reflux. I was so embarrassed to tell my mom it hurt to pee. Had surgery to fix said bladder problem. Still get them after sex sometimes. It sucks. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • UTIs are dreadful. They can also be caught in cold weather if you're not covered/warm enough down there. There's one tactic I've found that really helps and it's Alka Seltzer. If you drink it right after sex or the minute you think you may have had a bit too much fun. Take it every three hours. I've been able to avoid them that way. The aspirin also helps with the pain. Water, probiotics, urinating after sex and daily yogurt help avoid them as well. Plus, there is a difference between bladder infections and UTIs. Going to the doctor is the only way to tell the difference. Good luck.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • D-Mannose powder is amazing.  I used to get UTI's all the time.  After having allergic reactions to all the antibiotics I was seriously feeling like I would never have sex again (since mine were almost always from that).  I found a blog from a woman having the same issue as me and she had said it changed her life and I believe it.   I also drink like 80oz+ of water a day.  Been over 2 years now (knock on wood) and I've been fine. 
  • UTIs are the worst! I get them fairly often too. Weirdly enough, FH has gotten a few in his lifetime. 

I suggest first drinking a LOT of water, and stay away from sugary drinks.  Yes, even the cranberry "cocktails" or other cranberry drinks containing lots of sugars. As PPs have mentioned, the sugar is no good for you. I have found sugar-free pure cranberry juices at the store and they helped a lot. 

I found a drink online that tastes disgusting but actually really helped me as well as FH. Grab a cup of water, pour a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar and some baking soda in the water. Add some sugar-free cranberry juice if you prefer, and drink the entire glass. I don't really measure, so just pour the amount that you can handle. It tastes awful but the vinegar and baking soda really helps clear up the infection. 

Hope that helps and feel better!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards