Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Naming signature drinks

My fiancé and I have chosen to have signature drinks at our wedding. His will be crown and coke, mine will be a margarita. The bar service we decided to go with also provides flavors for their margaritas (five for no additional charge). We picked: Lavender, coconut, passion fruit, prickly pear, and amaretto. They will also serve an"original" margarita. We want to "name" our drinks, any suggestions? 

Re: Naming signature drinks

• Options
    A play on your names is always fun.  Andrearita?  Marga-drea?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Honestly, I would not name them. Your bar line will be super slow (read: annoying/frustrating for guests) if the bartender has to explain to EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON wtf every single drink is... 

Get creative with your centerpieces and decor instead. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'd say just name your drink and his drink. Then have a sign/menu in plain sight that lists the additional available flavors. I have a book of signature cocktails I've been working on over the years (I used to be a bartender) and my favorite names are the ones that came from the occasion. For example, June tea had some tea in it, it was June, and I purposely developed that drink to sip outside in the nice weather. Take the ingredients into account, as well as things that are meaningful to you two.
  • Options
    If you name your drinks, be sure to have signage with the ingredients. I.e., we will probably have a pear drink & here's how it will appear on the sign at the bar:

"The Perfect 'Pear'"
    Absolut Pear Vodka
    Cranberry Juice
    Lime Wedge

I agree with @novella1186 about picking two to name. If you can't think of anything you like, why don't you just highlight them as "The Bride's Pick" and "The Groom's Pick"?
  • Options
    Honestly, I would not name them. Your bar line will be super slow (read: annoying/frustrating for guests) if the bartender has to explain to EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON wtf every single drink is... 

Get creative with your centerpieces and decor instead. 
    This can be done with a sign at the bar.  But I would only do it with one or two drinks.
  • Options
    I say unless your are actually creating a brand new drink that needs a name, stick with the names the drinks already have.  That way people know what they are getting and if they like it they can order it again sometime.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If the 4 letters at the end of your user name is your last name (in which case I'd recommend changing it, for safety) (that)-arita would be cute. I'd definitely have the "real" name on a sign below the cutesie name. You can always just say "Bride's Choice - Margarita" (and the list the flavors) and "Groom's Choice - Crown and Coke." (Excellent choices, BTW. What time should I be there?)

• Options
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Just don't.  I really don't want to order "The Cassandra in Love" or the "Jack's Romance."  I want a margarita. Just make a placard that says margarita (and flavor options) or Crown and Coke.  Everything wedding doesn't have to have a cutesy name or poem.  In the end, all that gets kind of nauseating.
  • Options
    If you MUST name them, I"d just call them your names, and have a sign that says it. Like, "The John--crown royale and coca cola" and "The Jane--Margarita". 

However, I do think that if you don't name the drinks you could get away a little better with creating some silly puns for the flavors. I'm terrible about that kind of thing, but your sign could say "Margaritas" at the top, and then list the flavors as...
    Coconut's about you
    Keep the Passion Fruit
    Not-so-prickly pear in love
    etc. 

But with better puns. Other than the coconut one, I kind like that one. :-) I mean, most flavors are just totally artificial and taste barely like the actual things they're flavored to be anyway, so might as well call them whatever you want. 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    If you MUST name them, I"d just call them your names, and have a sign that says it. Like, "The John--crown royale and coca cola" and "The Jane--Margarita". 

However, I do think that if you don't name the drinks you could get away a little better with creating some silly puns for the flavors. I'm terrible about that kind of thing, but your sign could say "Margaritas" at the top, and then list the flavors as...
    Coconut's about you
    Keep the Passion Fruit
    Not-so-prickly pear in love
    etc. 

But with better puns. Other than the coconut one, I kind like that one. :-) I mean, most flavors are just totally artificial and taste barely like the actual things they're flavored to be anyway, so might as well call them whatever you want. 

Stuck in box

I wouldn't bother with puns.  Most guests just aren't going to care about them at best, and at worst they sound too contrived-like you're (generic) trying too hard to be funny, cute, clever, or whatever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards