Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Hawaii honeymoon

We are looking to honeymoon out in Hawaii in October 2015. We are looking to be out there for 10 days since it's such a long flight out there since we live in New York. We are hoping to find an all inclusive hotel and experience as much as possible while out there. I'm looking to see if anyone has suggestions on hotels or resorts or any recommendations in general!!

Re: Hawaii honeymoon

• Options
    Jenv1025 said:
    We are looking to honeymoon out in Hawaii in October 2015. We are looking to be out there for 10 days since it's such a long flight out there since we live in New York. We are hoping to find an all inclusive hotel and experience as much as possible while out there. I'm looking to see if anyone has suggestions on hotels or resorts or any recommendations in general!!

The closest you will get to an all-inclusive in Hawaii is taking a cruise through the different islands ( I believe).  Each island seems to be unique and wonderful in its own way and if you want to see a few of them the inter-island flights can add up.  I personally LOVED Maui, Oahu was ehh to me.  I could stay on Maui forever.  We split our time there on the water and in upcountry at a B&B. The people were lovely, and the Island was lovely.  There are less expensive dining options available, but maybe also consider a home rental where you can cook some meals instead of eating out the whole time.  That could save some money.
  • Options
    Hawaii doesn't have all inclusives-there are some places on Oahu that advertise as AIs but they aren't true AIs-you get a meal credit, but activities aren't included. I also think it's a waste anyway, you need to get out and explore the islands as much as possible, including the food!

We went to Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island. The BI is my personal favorite, and I did not like Maui at all. It all depends on what you want to do, what kind of atmosphere you want, etc. Kauai was the least expensive and had the friendliest people, and it's also the easiest to get around, since it is so small. The BI is huge, it takes a long time to drive between certain places, a lot of the best beaches are a hike to get to (which is part of the appeal for me). The BI had to best snorkeling, clearest water. Maui has more luxury options, the Road to Hana is very popular, and it has the most accessible, nice white sand beaches. 
  • Options
    To see and experience as much as possible, take the Norwegian Hawaii cruise that takes you around to all the main islands.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

We did 10 days for our honeymoon 2 years ago.  We went to Kauai and Oahu.  I had previously been to Maui and Oahu.  I saw Pearl Harbor on my first trip to Oahu and had no interest to go back there after going to Maui first.  Oahu is very much a big city with a gorgeous beach.  I think flying all the way to Hawaii, I'd rather keep away from Oahu since I want relaxation and no hurrying.  The only reason I went back is so my H could see Pearl Harbor too.  He also know has no interest to go back to Oahu after being on Kauai.

We have a returned trip to Hawaii in January and are going to Maui, BI, and Kauai.  If you can rent a condo or have a kitchen somewhere that will help you save money.  Eat breakfast in everyday. And make 1 or 2 dinners in as well.  I have actually heard that BI is the most affordable island, not Kauai.  Kauai is the least developed island and I think that's why its more expensive.  But Maui will be more expensive than BI & Kauai.  Maui is a good mix between overdeveloped (Oahu) and not developed (Kauai). 

My recommendations: 
    Maui - sunrise at Haleakala, Road to Hana (drive all the way around, don't turn back - passengers are more likely to get car sick), drive around the West Maui mountains, snorkeling at Molikai (sp?).

Kauai - Captain Andy's Na'Pali Coast Dinner Cruise, Waimae Canyon drive, Sunset at the St. Regis in Princeville, Kauai Backcountry Adventures Tubing Adventure (this was the best and will be done again in Jan!), and Steegrass Farms Chocolate Farm tour (sample local fruits in addition to the chocolate).

Rent Snorkel gear from Snorkel Bobs.  You can take it to the other islands to return it.  Basically you can go snorkeling off any beach.

• Options
    If you go to Kauai, you must, MUST MUST MUST visit Brennecke's for happy hour, and get either Mai Tai's or a Tai Chi. So good, and then you can walk right across the street to Poipu beach park and hang out once you get your buzz going.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    rsbloomrsbloom member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2014
    I've been to Maui and Kauai and were going to Oahu and BI for our honeymoon this October. 

Like PPs said, there aren't any all-inclusives in Hawaii, if you want an AI try South America or the Caribbean. PPs gave pretty good advice about the islands. Condos are really great budget options, we're staying at a condo on BI and I've stayed at a condo in Kauai. Some of them have really great resort areas too, so it looks like a hotel, just no daily room service, and you have. Kitchen to make meals at home. 

Maui is just populated enough to feel like you're going though cities, more luxury hotels and touristy spots, but still relaxing. I liked this combination of the relaxing and touristy things here the best. 

Kauai is beautiful, I liked the hiking and scenery there more, but everything closes at 6, which is great if you want to save money and eat it, but not if you want to go out and do something at night. It's a lot more secluded and tropical than Maui. 

From what I've heard about Oahu, north shore is the more secluded/relaxing side of the island, and Waikiki and Honolulu are like being in downtown LA. We're going because we want to go to Pearl Harbour, but that's about it. 

Big island does seem to have the cheapest prices, for both activities and accommodations. If we decide to do a Luau, it is about $30 pp cheaper on average than in Waikiki or on Maui. I also get the sense that this will be more like a large version of Kauai, more secluded than touristy.

Edited for paragraphs grr
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards