Wedding Etiquette Forum

S/O Addressing invitations

sarawifenowsarawifenow member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited August 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum

With all the talk of people getting offended about the wording on invitation envelopes, I have found myself kind of nervous to address these bad boys!

How am I supposed to address a family? Here is what I am thinking (and I am making up all names):

Mr. and Mrs. Walson

Joey Walson (kid one)

Ted Walson (kid two)

Megan Walson (kid three)

Address It seems like a lot of spacing. Is this correct?

ETA: TK ate my paragraphs.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: S/O Addressing invitations

• I think it's correct, but someone more etiquette-minded than me: would it be wrong to put all the kids on one line? It would help spacing.
    sarawifenow
  • Can't you put Mr. and Mrs. XXX Walson and Family on the outer envelope, then put individual names on the inner envelope? (If you're going that way)
    sarawifenow
  • Can't you put Mr. and Mrs. XXX Walson and Family on the outer envelope, then put individual names on the inner envelope? (If you're going that way)
    Thats what I did
    sarawifenow
  • I think traditionally only the adults go on the outer envelope, since they're the ones who are supposed to open the mail. Inner can say "and family" or list each kid.

sarawifenowlizybeff
  • Traditionally only adults on the outer, then list the parents first and then the kids names on the inner. If you only have one envelope, i would put Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Family, or less formally, The Smith Family. "Family" includes all the kids, so you don't need to name them all.
    sarawifenow
  • I think traditionally only the adults go on the outer envelope, since they're the ones who are supposed to open the mail. Inner can say "and family" or list each kid.
    Yes, this.  I'd stay away from "and family" because some people might take a mile if you give them an inch.  Parents on the outer envelope, then the parents and kids listed on the inner envelope.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

sarawifenow
  • Sorry all, I had to post and run last night. I should mention, we are not doing inner envelopes.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I have an idea how to word it now. I agree with @JCbride2015, I will stay away from "and family" as much as I can. We have some on the guest list that will bring their great aunt Sally twice removed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards