Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Is anyone NOT having a hair trial?

Is anyone NOT having a hair trial? I'm not terribly particular and just have a general idea of what I'd like it to look like. I have a bunch of pictures that are all very similar to show her and figure whatever she does will be beautiful the day of. Personally, I can't justify the cost and time for her to do it and me to say "yup, looks good." Unless she makes me look like a poodle, we should be good. We are having a consultation before I get a trim today, so I guess I'll go from there. Or am I just crazy in to having one? ETA: pics of ideas

Re: Is anyone NOT having a hair trial?

• Honestly, I think it's crazy to not have a trial. Your vision and what she ends up doing could end up being completely different. And you don't want to have to hash that out on the day of your wedding. You also probably only have a limited amount of time to get your hair done the day of. What if you don't like it and she has to redo it? Will that make you late/running behind?
  • I didn't have a hair trial. It is hair, how badly can it go? My stylist was recommended to me by my MOH, I showed her pictures before hand, we met the morning of the wedding. She styles it somewhere at the intersection of the 3 pictures I gave her, and I was happy with it.
  • I was on the fence about doing a hair trial because I didn't want to spend the extra money. But I did one anyway and it was TERRIBLE! It was so terrible I cancelled my wedding day appointment (thank goodness I hadn't put down a deposit yet) and went out and hired someone else. And I'll still do a hair trial with this other person.

Maybe it was my fault for not being hardcore enough to ask her every few minutes to see the back. But I also gave her these two pictures of exactly what I wanted, which did not seem complicated to me... and yet I ended up looking like AN ALIEN.

Seriously, what??? That was the end of that salon.

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    My hairstylist ended up quitting and moving out of state two weeks before my wedding, so I had to book a total stranger. I did a trial so I could actually meet her and see if she could do what I wanted, and to see if what I was envisioning would actually look good on my face (I chose a fairly untraditional style). It was totally worth it. Plus, it was fun! My hair was one the things I really cared about.
  • I think you should get one. I'm not the best person to talk because my stylist is my friend who is doing it for free so cost wasn't a factor for me. But I was very specific with her- I said I do not like most brides' hair when they curl it then just put a mashing of 100 bobby pins holding it all over the place. I said I need a defined look, like a folded chignon (like the picture).  So I wanted to make sure she could something like that and not the kind I hate. She did it even more awesome than I pictured so now I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about it that morning.

@jenijoyk omg that is pretty terrible!!!!

• @jenna8984 - right??? So amazing!! I'm so glad I preserved it forever with a photo. Obviously, if I hadn't done a hair trial and my hair looked like that on my wedding day I would have made her take it out and do it over. But how long would that have taken? And would the redo have been any closer to my (totally simple) desired hair style? Who knows. I decided to just cut and run.
  • It makes my jaw drop when I hear what goes on now, from what it was when I was a bridesmaid in 1990. Me and the bride just went to a salon, her stylist knew we were coming, and the bride got her long hair curled with a curling iron and left long.

I got mine washed, blown dry, and curled, teased and sprayed. All I said was "make it look good, and last all day" and it sure did. We looked terrific. The other 3 maids just did their usual hair thing.

We all did our own makeup, taking turns in the bathroom. I did mine sitting on the couch with my compact mirror. I put makeup on heavier than usual, because of the cameras, but did the same things as everyday.

Good times. Bridal parties would hang themselves before doing it the old-fashioned way.

• Thats just not true at all. I usually do my own makeup when I'm a bridesmaid, unless the bride offers to pay for it as a nice gift. I really don't think going to a salon for a hair trial when you are a bride is that extravagant. In fact, the hair style I asked for was basically my hair down, and curled, and pinned back on one side, so close to what you described! (I have no idea what happened to my head to make it turn out like an alien.) Plus, until her dying day my grandma went to the hair salon to get her blue hair teased up once a week. To me, that seems a little over the top!
  • So, I had a consultation before I got my hair trimmed today. I showed my stylist pics and the headband I plan on wearing. She basically told me I'd be wasting money on a trial because my style is so simple and doable. She quickly parted my hair and put it in a low ponytail with my headband. Front looked how I wanted it to, then she told me what she would do to the back. So we are both on the same page and I trust that it will look amazing the day of. No trial for this girl! Also, my haircut looks amazing. ;-)
  • edited August 2014
    danamw said:

It makes my jaw drop when I hear what goes on now, from what it was when I was a bridesmaid in 1990. Me and the bride just went to a salon, her stylist knew we were coming, and the bride got her long hair curled with a curling iron and left long.

I got mine washed, blown dry, and curled, teased and sprayed. All I said was "make it look good, and last all day" and it sure did. We looked terrific. The other 3 maids just did their usual hair thing.

We all did our own makeup, taking turns in the bathroom. I did mine sitting on the couch with my compact mirror. I put makeup on heavier than usual, because of the cameras, but did the same things as everyday.

Good times. Bridal parties would hang themselves before doing it the old-fashioned way.

Could this post be any more judgmental? 

I was in two weddings in the 90s. One in 1998 and the other in 1999. The '98 bride had a hair trial and all of us bridemaids chose to have our hair and makeup professionally done. The '99 bride actually demanded that we all have hair and makeup professionally done. 

I've since been in 5 more weddings. I've done my own hair and makeup. I've have it done professionally. This is not a new thing. Doing your own hair and makeup is not old fashioned. Many brides and their bridesmaids STILL do that. 

Again, why is it necessary for you to offer nothing to this post put judgement and generalizations?
  • danamwdanamw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2014

Call me thick, but I can't see what I said in my post that is so inflammatory. I think bridesmaids can look just fine without a test run for how their hair and makeup looks that day. That is the only judgment I make. That seems like the bride being overly nervous about the day. She should just let her maids take care of that themselves.

What is so judgmental, generalizing and off-putting about saying, everything will be fine without stressing?

• danamw said:

Call me thick, but I can't see what I said in my post that is so inflammatory. I think bridesmaids can look just fine without a test run for how their hair and makeup looks that day. That is the only judgment I make. That seems like the bride being overly nervous about the day. She should just let her maids take care of that themselves.

What is so judgmental, generalizing and off-putting about saying, everything will be fine without stressing?

Where was anyone discussing trials for bridesmaids? The OP is a BRIDE. 

You did not say "everything will be fine! Don't stress". Go back and read your post. 
  • I was addressing hair/makeup trials in general.

Pull the stick out.

• That's classy. There's nothing wrong with having a hair/makeup trial. You're the one that came in here with your judgy pants on. Maybe you're the one that needs to relax.
  • My MOH had a hair trial at the same time I did. I considered it mother/daughter bonding though.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Have a trial!!! You might not like it and you don't need anymore pressure on your wedding day if it isn't just how you pictured it looking. Good luck x 
  • I'm not because I don't live in the same state as where my wedding is. So it'll just have to be good enough lol. She's coming super early though so there will be time to fix it if I don't like it, and we've talked at length about what I want.
  • danamw said:

I was addressing hair/makeup trials in general.

Pull the stick out.

That was uncalled for.  Your post did come off sounding a little judgmental.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards