October 2014 Weddings
Options

To Toss or Not to Toss

Hello October Brides!

The FI and I were discussing the bouquet and garter toss and whether or not to do it.  Almost all of our wedding guests are married so it would be odd having only a few people on the floor, plus it seems old fashioned.  Are any of y'all doing the toss or have you found a more modern alternative?  I'd love some thoughts and opinions.

Re: To Toss or Not to Toss

• Options
    We plan on having both, but we're going to reverse it.  We plan to have the girl put the garter on the guy. :-p  

Do you have children attending?  One wedding I went to had a bear toss--one stuffed bear was a bride for the girls and the other was a groom for the boys.  It was cute.

Instead of the toss, you could always have an anniversary dance for all of the married couples.  We are giving the "winners" who have been married the longest a bottle of wine and a giftcard to dinner.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Options
    We're probably doing an anniversay dance like what @des9724 described. We won't have very many single guests and it would just be weird and awkward to toss a garter to like...2 guys.

• Options
    I never understood the appeal of a garter toss. It just seems awkward and tacky to me. I don't want someone throwing my underwear into a crowd no thank you!

And I like my bouquet and want to keep it. I know that sometimes people will have a second (less expensive) "toss bouquet", but I never saw the point in that.
  • Options
    We aren't doing a garter toss. Awkward.

As for the bouquet, we'll either present it to the longest married couple (after the anniversary dance); or toss it for all ladies (not just those that are single).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    We're not planning on doing the bouquet or garter toss.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback ladies!  I like the idea of the anniversary dance.  It's actually something our DJ mentioned in passing but I hadn't heard the details on it.  My floral package includes a toss bouquet so why not give it to the longest married couple.  It will be sweet too b/c I think it will end up being my FI's parents!  

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the garter toss was awkward!  Are y'all even going to mess with wearing a garter?
  • Options
    I am still going to wear one for FI to take off later. I was actually going to have my 97-year old grandma make it (she still sews!) but when I told FI he found it weird. Ugh, men. So I may just buy a garter and have grandma make me a handkerchief of something. I just know she would love to make something and I would love to have something handmade by her!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    rsbloomrsbloom member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2014
    We're doing bouquet but not garter. I find garter taking off and tossing very very gross and tacky. FIs mom was actually pushing me to "let" FI do it saying "it's his fun time at the wedding" eww. FI doesn't want to do it anyway, he thinks it's weird and doesn't like the thought of doing going under my dress in front of my dad appealing lol We are still doing the bouquet toss because my little girl cousins would LOVE it. Our single friends can get up if they want to, but it's mostly for the kids.
  • Options
    Hello October Brides!

The FI and I were discussing the bouquet and garter toss and whether or not to do it.  Almost all of our wedding guests are married so it would be odd having only a few people on the floor, plus it seems old fashioned.  Are any of y'all doing the toss or have you found a more modern alternative?  I'd love some thoughts and opinions.

bolded is why we are doing neither.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    When I was single - I HATED being pulled on the floor for the toss. I'm not sure what I'm doing with my bouquet yet. I may see if my FMIL would dry it out/preserve it for me depending on what bouquet/flowers I end up getting; I know that the service that is offered by my venue is REALLY expensive. I love the idea of giving the bouquet to the 'winners' of the anniversary dance.

Anniversary
  • Options
    We are skipping both tosses and instead doing a couples dance where every one who is a couple comes up and dances and the Dj goes down the line by saying everyone who has been married for less than 1 day please leave the dance floor and so and so forth....the last couple on the floor who has been married the longest will get a bouquet and round of applause of course. We are the last couple to get married so no one would be available to catch the garter or bouquet so this way its not awkward for us or anyone else. =)
  • Options
    We're not doing the tosses, or an anniversary dance. Really the only "spotlight" things happening at our reception is the WP arriving, our first dance, and a combined father/daughter mother/son dance.
  • Options

It is quite rude to draw more attention to your single guests.

Skip it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards