Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon registry and shower advice

I'm leaving this here for other brides who had questions like I did. The knotties were not very friendly towards me - so I'm not going to check this thread again as they really were just hurtful. However, if anyone else were to come here for advice the way I did, I'm going to leave my experience and hope they do not receive the same treatment. 

My original question to the community was how to incorporate my honeymoon registry at my shower. An aunt wanted to throw one for me, and I wanted to accept. I did a honeymoon registry because I'm a little older and the only thing I've never "showered" myself with, is the gift of traveling. No matter what your reasons, do not let other people make you feel bad about it. They will try, especially here. 

Here is how I did it, and it turned out beautifully. 

The honeymoon is in London, so the theme of the shower was "London Calling". British tea, scones, whole British brunch set up with the Beatles and the Clash playing in the background. As a game, I had a map from where I live to London, and as I opened the honeymoon gifts, I added little pictures to the map (ie, planes for people who contributed to airfare, fish and chips to people who contributed towards food, etc). My family (even the older generations) had a ball with it. It was lovely and I would highly recommend doing it if you'd like to include those gifts during your shower. 

I thought it might be awkward but it turned out great and really got everyone involved. Turns out they also had a ton of travel advice and stories that I probably wouldn't have had the chance to hear otherwise. It made the gifts very personal, and gave us a lot of little traditions to continue in our own travels. 

Good luck to all of the brides out there, no matter what you've registered for!

Re: Honeymoon registry and shower advice

• Options
    I'm leaving this here for other brides who had questions like I did. The knotties were not very friendly towards me - so I'm not going to check this thread again as they really were just hurtful. However, if anyone else were to come here for advice the way I did, I'm going to leave my experience and hope they do not receive the same treatment. 

My original question to the community was how to incorporate my honeymoon registry at my shower. An aunt wanted to throw one for me, and I wanted to accept. I did a honeymoon registry because I'm a little older and the only thing I've never "showered" myself with, is the gift of traveling. No matter what your reasons, do not let other people make you feel bad about it. They will try, especially here. 

Here is how I did it, and it turned out beautifully. 

The honeymoon is in London, so the theme of the shower was "London Calling". British tea, scones, whole British brunch set up with the Beatles and the Clash playing in the background. As a game, I had a map from where I live to London, and as I opened the honeymoon gifts, I added little pictures to the map (ie, planes for people who contributed to airfare, fish and chips to people who contributed towards food, etc). My family (even the older generations) had a ball with it. It was lovely and I would highly recommend doing it if you'd like to include those gifts during your shower. 

I thought it might be awkward but it turned out great and really got everyone involved. Turns out they also had a ton of travel advice and stories that I probably wouldn't have had the chance to hear otherwise. It made the gifts very personal, and gave us a lot of little traditions to continue in our own travels. 

Good luck to all of the brides out there, no matter what you've registered for!

What do you normally shower yourself with?
  • Options
    I am so sorry that you didn't like the good advice you were given.
    Honeymoon registries are not well received by many, many people.  We told you this.  You didn't listen.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014

As usual, @jells2dot0 hit the nail on the head.  you can just have a bridal tea if you don't want physical gifts.  and then you're not asking people for money...or doing the awkward thing where you open their monetary gifts in front of everyone.  Yuck.

I am also older, and have everything i need, but since my mom wanted to throw me a shower, i registered for enough upgrades to my older household items so that people would have physical gifts to choose from.  i also registered for new luggge, which is travel related, but is also a physical gift that we could really use.  and then i went on a honeymoon which i paid for all by myself, like an adult.

i seriously have trouble undertanding what person doesn't need upgrades to household items but does need help paying for her honeymoon.  if you have the money to have all of the household items that you could possibly want or need, you should also have the money to pay for your own vacations.  if you can't afford your own vacation, i feel like you also probably can't afford some of the household items that you probably want/need.  i just don't get why anyone would do a honeymoon registry under any circumstances.

• Options
    Aw, thank you @delujm0! As someone who is fortunate to be able to shower myself with the gift of travel, I think that travel is a personal thing and by no means a right or necessity in life. As a newly married couple, most people will need plates, towels, and silverware. Hence, why showers exist. Couples need these items to live, be good hosts, and raise a family. Travel doesn't fulfill any of those necessities.

• Options
    Yeah, I don't know about you all but I am so friggen' excited to get new towels! Lol

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards