Honeymoon Discussions

Cruise Questions

DH and I are debating booking a cruise for next month. I've never cruised before, so I have a question:

We would be flying in on the day the cruise leaves, and flying home the same day we leave the ship. How many hours should we allow between flight and cruise? We were looking at flying in at 11am for a cruise that leaves at 5pm, and flying home at 3pm after the boat gets in at 7am. If it matters, we'd be flying in to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise that leaves from Miami. Are there any efficient, affordable shuttle options?

We're looking at the Norwegian Sky, which goes to a couple places in the Bahamas. Thanks!

Re: Cruise Questions

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    Always fly in the day before the cruise leaves and spend the night in a hotel near the dock.  You never know when flights will be delayed or luggage lost.  That extra day gives them enough time to find your lost suitcase.
    All the cruisers I know do this.
    Check-in usually starts at noon.  The sooner you are on board, the sooner you get to the buffet.  (DH's rule.)
    For the return flight, anything after noon is fine, but if you need to get to FTL, that requires extra time.
    I hate the Ft, Lauderdale airport.  It is huge, noisy, crowded, and inefficient.  I know that there are shuttles, but I have always sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale.

PS.  A travel agent would be very helpful to you, and they cost you nothing for their knowledge and experience.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ditto the get there the day before you leave. Granted, I have only been on 1 cruise it was a Norwegian leaving out of NYC and I arrived the day before. I took the train from Ohio to NYC as it was cheaper with a military discount round trip, however, the multiple stops, the train running over something, the train having to detach from the back half so they could go onto their separate ways it was just too much. Also this hasn't been during a cruising experience but each time I have also flown out to my sisters in Colorado, I've had multiple delayed flights, missed flights, planes with broken parts, and a first for me, a lost bag. Arrive early, walk around, enjoy the area and relax that you have arrived early and can find your way around without being in a panic.

Our ship got into port at around 7 am or so, and we left that same day, my train left the station around 11-1pm give or take, maybe later, its been awhile, just account for traffic depending on the time of day and how far away you are staying away from the port.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The two ocean cruises I've been on I've left the morning of.  I got into the port city around 10am each time with no problems.  That said, I agree with PPs, many people I know get in the day before.  If you have any delays or cancellations, you could be screwed!  Peace of mind on vacations is priceless.
  • I would highly recommend flying in the day before...but if you refuse to do that then certainly take the first flight out leaving at 6am-something so you get there in ample time. What time would that have you arriving if you did that? You didn't mention where you're traveling from so it's hard to look it up. As far as returning, I wouldn't take a flight leaving before noon...and honestly, I don't book a return flight before 2pm. I have a cruise this November and the flight returning leaves at 5pm and the cruise in December our return flight is 7:40pm. Also, why don't you just fly into Miami so you eliminate the need for a shuttle?
  • I'd be flying from LAX. Our flight actually leaves at 10PM the night before, we would just have a long layover. We were trying to use flight vouchers we have, but it limits our flight options - and there's nothing to Miami that works.

We might just plan this trip for another time. Thanks for thee feedback!
    edited August 2014
    Have you checked Southwest?  They fly to FLL.  I see fares as low as $153 each way, with no luggage charges.  They go to other airports near LA, too.

I wouldn't risk it, same day flight across the country.  Shit happens.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Love southwest, 2 free checked bags can't beat it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited August 2014
    You might want to consider the Princess Mexican Riviera cruises.  Then you wouldn't need to fly at all.

http://vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=10867  (Best deal - ocean view)

http://vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=38432

You should talk to a travel agent.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thanks. DH and I refuse to travel to Mexico. And while I hope to do an Alaskan cruise at some point, nothing else on the Pacific side is striking our fancy because we live 20 minutes from the Pacific Ocean, so it's not really the vacay we're looking for.
  • I agree- fly in the day before. We are frequent cruisers! Let me know if you have ANY questions!!
  • We have used SAS Transportation and did not have a problem. Cost was $15 p/p  each way.

• If you absolutely must fly in the day of despite being told numerous times what a monumentally bad idea this is, opt for a direct flight, take the flight that lands as early as possible, buy trip insurance that covers what happens if you miss your cruise & pray.  

Remember Coast Guard regulations obligate you to be on board 1.5 hours before sailing.  If you are not, they will deny you entry.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards