Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Bride and Nephew

Hello all! I'm getting Married next month and I was looking for some opinions. My nephew is 5 years old and he is my best friend. When he's in town we do everyhitng together, and when he's not we talk on the phone every few days. I wanted to have a special dance with him at my wedding. Now, his favorite song is "Let's Get it Started" by Black Eyed Peas, but I was hoping for something a bit slower. I thought about "Do You Want To Build a Snowman" From Frozen, since he loves when I sing it to him, but I don't know if that's really wedding appropriate. My sister says he likes "You'll be in my Heart" From Tarzan, but I feel like that might be a little too "Mommy-Baby" for us.

So. Do you think it's acceptable that I want this special dance with him? (For the same dance, my Groom will be dancing with each of his best friend's daughters)
Also, any song suggestions?

Re: Bride and Nephew

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    I think it's totally fine and great that you want this special dance.  Not sure what to recommend as a song though.

Edited to add: Don't make it a "spotlight dance."  It's fine to want to play a special song and dance with your nephew, but too many special dances that exclude the other guests will be side-eyed.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Can you not just ask him to dance at some point in the reception? People don't want to sit and watch a bunch of spotlight dances. You could even play whatever song you're wanting to use, just do at some point after the dance floor has been opened to everyone.
  • Options

Can you not just ask him to dance at some point in the reception? People don't want to sit and watch a bunch of spotlight dances. You could even play whatever song you're wanting to use, just do at some point after the dance floor has been opened to everyone.

This. If I have to sit through another spotlight dance, I'll be at the bar.
  • Options
    I guess you guys are right. No need to call attention to it and bore guests just to mkae it "special" It's special becasue it's us, right?
  • Options
    My daughter had a special kiddie dance for all the children.  Squirmy kids were very happy to do The Hokey Pokey with the bride and a few parents.  Great photo op!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Another vote for this!
  • Options
    But what if their spotlight was just about 30 sec. to a minute, then the DJ asks the rest of the guests join in? It might be a good time for the groom to dance with MOB, etc.
  • Options
    I think you should dance to his favorite song when the floor has been opened up to everybody else. Give your photographer a heads-up so he can get pictures. Maybe give your BMs a heads-up too, and they can join you. He'll remember it and love it.
  • Options
    Yes I'm with everyone else - no more spotlight dances.

Can he be your ring bearer?
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards