DIY Wedding Forum

Seating Chart Help!

So my wedding isn't for while. We know where we are having our wedding ceremony/reception (they will be at the same place.) and we are just getting the guest list figured out. As I was looking over the guest list I realized that my seating chart will be rather easy with one minor hiccup. The only family my fiance has is his parents and brother. His parents are estranged from their families and I doubt his parents will invite them to the wedding. So my question is do I have one table just for the three of them or do I sit them with my mom, brother, sister and my sister's husband?

Re: Seating Chart Help!

• So my wedding isn't for while. We know where we are having our wedding ceremony/reception (they will be at the same place.) and we are just getting the guest list figured out. As I was looking over the guest list I realized that my seating chart will be rather easy with one minor hiccup. The only family my fiance has is his parents and brother. His parents are estranged from their families and I doubt his parents will invite them to the wedding. So my question is do I have one table just for the three of them or do I sit them with my mom, brother, sister and my sister's husband?

This isn't going to be what you want to hear, but most brides don't do their seating charts until a few weeks or a month before the wedding.
  • I would sit them with your family or some of your FI'S closest friends??
  • I wouldn't bother until you have sent out your invites. Then you have a list to work with. I waited until our RSVP deadline came so that if there were any declines I knew who not to seat.
  • @NYCMercedes yes I am well aware that most brides don't do their seating charts until the wedding is closer.

@gothic_fairy60  I'm not working on my seating chart at all. I was actually adding some names to the guest list and was over looking the guest list when I realized how easy my seating chart will be (when it comes time to actually work on it). Then I realized that my fiance's family (as of right now and most likely will be) the only family from his side. So I was curious about rule of thumb in situations like this. 

@bucksgirl414 thanks for the advice. He only has 4 close friends all of whom will be in the wedding party. I figured the polite thing would be to seat them with my family. 

• @NYCMercedes yes I am well aware that most brides don't do their seating charts until the wedding is closer.

@gothic_fairy60  I'm not working on my seating chart at all. I was actually adding some names to the guest list and was over looking the guest list when I realized how easy my seating chart will be (when it comes time to actually work on it). Then I realized that my fiance's family (as of right now and most likely will be) the only family from his side. So I was curious about rule of thumb in situations like this. 

@bucksgirl414 thanks for the advice. He only has 4 close friends all of whom will be in the wedding party. I figured the polite thing would be to seat them with my family. 

I'm not sure how you are seating your wedding party, but the polite thing to do would be allow them to sit with their SO's as well.  My son and his wife had a king's table that allowed the immediate families, wedding party, and their SO's to all sit together.  This could be the answer for the best of all worlds for you.

• My husband has a situation like this with his mom. We ended up sitting at her table, partly to fill it out and partly because that's where there was space. Of course, we didn't have a wedding party or head table or anything, so it was fine.
  • I'd guess you definitely don't want to have a table of only 3 people, if the rest of the tables have 8/10/12. They might feel or look like weird outcasts. Your families become one on your wedding day, so you can totally mix families at tables! :)
  • You have a lot of time to figure this out...

I'd ask them who they want with them. If they want to sit with your family, so be it. Otherwise, they might want to sit with whatever friends they'll have there. I know my parents are a bit bummed that they'll be sitting with my grandmother, grandfather, sister, etc. because, while they love them, they'd rather be chatting with their friends! (I offered to seat them wherever but they think it's better to sit with family than choose a group of friends to sit with.)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Do they have any close friends they'd invite rather than family? It sounds like they're hosting, since you mentioned it would be them issuing the invitations. Since you're just figuring out the guest list now and have some time, that might be a nice gesture to ensure they have "people" there.

• wandajune6jenijoykemmyg65MobKaz for all the great ideas! 

lolo883, actually my fiance and I are hosting our wedding. I don't expect my mom or his parents to chip in anything for this wedding and I would actually prefer them not too. I am giving my mom and his parents a certain number of invites (the same number) to invite who ever they want, because we are having a small wedding and can't afford to invite everyone we would want to be there. 
  • wandajune6jenijoykemmyg65MobKaz for all the great ideas! 

lolo883, actually my fiance and I are hosting our wedding. I don't expect my mom or his parents to chip in anything for this wedding and I would actually prefer them not too. I am giving my mom and his parents a certain number of invites (the same number) to invite who ever they want, because we are having a small wedding and can't afford to invite everyone we would want to be there. 
    Aha. Well then sit them with whomever they send those invitations to.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards