Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Hosting a house guest

A good friend is coming to visit for a long weekend, yayyy! This is my first real house guest in our home and I'm really excited. I have the guest room ready with clean sheets (obviously) and got a few things to have on hand that I know she likes to eat like her favorite coffee creamer. Anything else I should be doing? I already made her a local treat bag when she came for our wedding, so I was thinking maybe a state themed coffee mug for her to use while she's here and bring home. I was also thinking maybe a new book and a pair of fuzzy socks that I know she'd love. Is this overboard? I'm just excited and want to her to feel special! Ideas? Thanks!

Re: NWR: Hosting a house guest

• That's really sweet of you! Maybe you could put some snacks and water in her room too. I always know that when I'm at someone else's house, I'm hesitant to go through their fridge/pantry (even if they invite me too).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• It might be a bit overboard to shower her with gifts lol. That's really nice of you, though! I think the fact that you got her room ready and bought some of her favorite foods is enough. If you want to go a step farther, take her to your favorite local restaurant and buy her lunch. But if you go too far with all the gifts, it might make her a little uncomfortable. If someone did that for me, not that I wouldn't love it and really appreciate the thoughtfulness, but I would feel obligated to give them some kind of gift in return.
    I agree with this. Even though what you are doing is very thoughtful and nice it can quickly get into the overboard territory.

• I usually set out some unused shower gel, shampoo & condition I have brought home form a hotel stay in case they didn't bring any and don't want to use my specific hair type brand. Also it looks fancy and is a cheap extra little touch.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    A power strip in the bedroom. My guests think that is the greatest thing so they do not have to look for a plug. ---------------------------------------------------------- Towels, wash clothes, etc out and ready. --------------------------------------------------- An empty space in the closet for her clothes and/or a hook. A drawer to put clothes. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- A shelf (or surface) already cleaned off so she can put a book or IPad, etc. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bottled water already in the bedroom.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited August 2014
    Really sweet of you.

The nicest thing people do for me when I'm a house guest are: clean sheets/towel/room, tell me to help myself to food and anything else, tell me any 'weird things' (like hot is actually cold in the shower), and make time to hang out (if they can). If all that happens, I'm a happy house guest.

Etf spelling
    *********************************************************************************

• When I have house guests (even my parents) I make sure the bathroom and bedroom are clean, with fresh towels and sheets. In the bathroom I make sure there is plenty of toilet paper, extra toiletries, new toothbrushes (just in case) and I put in a night light so they can see if they have to get up in the middle of the night. In the bedroom I have coasters on the night stands so they can keep a drink by the bed, and have an extension cord/power strip close by so they can easily charge their devices. If you have a tv in your guest room I've seen a tip to print out a channel list if the tv only gets over the air channels. This way they at least know where to find the news and weather if they don't want to flip through everything. I would cut back on the "gifts" and just make sure you have some favorite snacks and drinks on hand.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I feel you, OP.  I'm in the process of buying a house and will finally have a guest room!  I'll probably go overboard the first time I have a friend stay over.  

I'm a big fan of a properly stocked guest bathroom; shampoo, conditioner (even if you don't use it), q-tips, lotion, new toothbrush, several easy-to-find rolls of of TP, even a few tampons in the drawer closest to the toilet just in case.

In the bedroom a large box of tissues, a garbage can, and a couple bottles of water.

Enjoy your guest!
  • Oooh - I love these ideas. We have overnight guests fairly often (either family or my closest friend). They all know that they can raid the fridge and anything in the house is fair use for them. BUT with that being said - a power strip is a fantastic idea! And so are the bottled water in the room & extra toothbrushes!!! LOVE IT!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards