Wedding Etiquette Forum

Summer Camp Weddings

2»

Re: Summer Camp Weddings

• mysticl said:

Personally, I wouldn't enjoy it. I don't canoe or do archery. I swim but I wouldn't take my bathing suit to a wedding. I really wouldn't want to sleep in bunks and I really, really wouldn't want to get ready for a wedding in those kinds of accommodations. I love the outdoors but I do not camp and have no desire to do so.

All of this. I didn't like bunk beds and cabins and group sleeping as a child, and I sure as hell don't like it now!

And that doesn't make me high maintenance.

How close are the nearest hotels to this camp?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Personally, I wouldn't enjoy it. I don't canoe or do archery. I swim but I wouldn't take my bathing suit to a wedding. I really wouldn't want to sleep in bunks and I really, really wouldn't want to get ready for a wedding in those kinds of accommodations. I love the outdoors but I do not camp and have no desire to do so.
    All of this. I didn't like bunk beds and cabins and group sleeping as a child, and I sure as hell don't like it now! And that doesn't make me high maintenance. How close are the nearest hotels to this camp?
    There are a few within 5 miles of the camp. I'm sure many of my guests will feel the way you do, they'll have options.
  • I grew up going to a summer camp and camping, so I would love a wedding like this.  I think your plans sound good and you've accommodated the guests who don't want to camp out.  Just make it super clear that camping is voluntary and I say you're good.  Also, you should have a bonfire, with s'mores and orange rind muffins:) 
  • I could go either way.  I love camping and I've worked at summer camps as a counselor before, so staying in a cabin really isn't a big deal to me.  However, it becomes a big deal to me (on a wedding weekend--as a counselor, I dealt with it) IF:

1) There are no bathrooms, or the bathrooms are a hike away

2) If I am required to share a room with people I don't know/don't want to stay with.

3) If it is against the camp policy for me to take a bottle of wine down to the lake for me to watch the sunset and relax with friends on the beach.  

4) If your wedding weekend is in the winter and the cabins have minimal heating ability (doesn't sound like that's the case, but I'm sure it's happened before somewhere).

I personally love the outdoors, and I would kill to be able to spend a week or two in the Adirondacks this summer.  PP's have given a lot of advice and opinions.  I agree with the general consensus that as long as you're not requiring it, and they have the options of hotels that are close by, you should be fine.   

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    OP sounds like you are doing this the right way. Good work. :)

I would stay on site depending on your relationship to me, otherwise I would book my own hotel room. 5 miles away is nothing.

Thanks for not asking your guests to pay for their bunk bed (and therefore your wedding).
  • We looked into a summer camp site early in the planning process. It seemed like a great idea at first...until we quickly realized how much of a PITA it would be to bring in everything we needed. I'd consider how much set up and takedown it would be for you guys, what the kitchen facilities would be like for the caterers or however you're doing the food, and other logistical concerns. As a guest, I'd have a blast so long as I knew about the venue and what to expect but I'd also prefer to stay at a hotel--my body grows more and more intolerable of unusual sleeping arrangement the further I get into my 30s :)

• mysticl said:
    Oops, posted the above before I read a bunch of the comments - here are some answers to the questions above:

- The wedding and reception area would absolutely have normal bathrooms, etc - it's not a campground. 
     - The wedding would be your standard ceremony/drinks/dinner/dancing affair, all the activities are just if you decide to turn it into a weekend trip, which some people might. So - no need to pack that swimsuit if you're just in for the night. 
    - There is a hotel nearby that people could stay at
    - Thanks for being honest for those of you who are saying you'd hate it - I get it, not everyone's thing! Good for me to take into consideration while planning. 
    So each cabin has it's own bathroom?  No one needs to go outside to use the facilities in the middle of the night?

ETA: Bathroom and shower?

The cabins are situated around a big lodge - the lodge is where the ceremony/reception would take place. The lodge has bathrooms, so for the wedding, everyone's covered.

I believe the cabins have shared bathrooms/showers (I know, I know..) but like I said above, no one is obligated to stay in them - only people who might have fun doing so, or those who want free accommodation.

Stuck in the ever loving box

Just make sure people know exactly what the accommodations entail so they can make an informed decision and you're good.  Some people might be fine with the cabins unless they have to walk to the bathroom. So make sure they know the details.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This sounds like a blast to me!

I personally would stay in the cabins, but you should definitely do 1 or 2 hotel blocks. Also, look in to a shuttle from the reception to the hotel(s) - it is generally free or discounted with a certain number of rooms booked.

Also, just in case, are there enough beds at the camp for every guest you are inviting?
  • I think this sounds like fun! 

I'd only stay at the cabins though if I could pick who I shared the cabin with. 
  • You didn't mention the time of year or location of the wedding.

If it's going to be hot/humid, do the cabins have window A/C?

If this were a family wedding, I'd totally stay at the camp. My cousins and I would take over a cabin and have a blast.

If it were a close friend, we'd probably stay in a cabin if we could bunk with other friends. If not, or we didn't know many people, then we'd stay at the hotel down the road and come play games, swim, etc. during the day.
  • As a result of this thread, I a) really want to go camping, as I love it and haven't gone in a few years and b) learned a new acronym: COPG (cantankerous old people guests). Sounds like OP is set for this venue- proper bathrooms, alcohol, no obligation to stay... sounds great!

• anniewalkerxanniewalkerx member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014
    Hi everyone! Thanks for all the responses, you've raised questions I wouldn't even think to ask, and as such don't know the answers yet (Cabins A/C for one - that's important!) I haven't booked the venue yet, but should be going on a tour soon. Raising the question on this forum was super helpful for me. There are about twice the amount of beds at the camp than the number of people I'm inviting, but after seeing the reactions here I'm thinking there will be lots of people staying at a hotel, which is A-OK. (And GREAT for the people who choose to stay at the camp, there will probably end up being a bunch of private cabins that way.) There really are a million things you have to take into consideration when planning a fun, comfortable wedding for your guests - it's sort of awful right now but I'm sure it'll pay off when I'm drinking beer by the lake with my best buds. Again, thanks everyone for the free advice. Good luck with your weddings! ETA: Paragraphs :(:( Where did you go?
  • The A/C could or could not be important. It just depends on your area.

For example, if you were having a wedding in northern Michigan in June, I probably wouldn't need A/C, nor would I expect it. 

If the wedding were in Alabama in July, though, then I'd want A/C. 

Cabins usually don't have A/C (well, maybe they do in the south... I don't know... I'm from Michigan originally), and if I really wanted it, then I'd just stay at the hotel.
  • Personally I would LOVE this, and I'd be on board with staying at the camp. You're right to note that the bunk bed lifestyle isn't for everyone, though. I think if you reserve a hotel block within driving distance, that will cover your bases for anyone whose style is more "glamping" than backpacking.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Like others have said, my answer to this would depend on who's wedding it was.

My grandparents have a little cottage - the "kids" room has a bunch of bunk beds and the living room has a bunch of futons. So my big, crazy family is used to something like this and it would be a blast. We'd all pack coolers of junk food and hamburgers and hotdogs and probably bring cornhole and ladder toss.

But my husband likes to sleep in late in a big bed by himself. He wouldn't be up for a bunch of bunk beds, so we'd probably be in the hotel.
    Anniversary
  • I just want to thank everyone who posted on this thread!!!  I think this is a perfect example of what I hope to find ALL the time TK.  OP posted a question, was respectful of the fact her idea might not be everyone's cup of tea.  PP's who disagreed, did so respectfully, and OP got some great advice and ideas from them and PP's who thought it was a great idea!  

I was having a bad day, came here for a little advice, saw some crappy stupid fights, and then this one!!  Put a smile on my face, so thanks ladies - that's what these boards should be all about!

for what it's worth @anniewalkerx I think your wedding weekend sounds like a fantastic and fun idea!  I agree with PP's about hotel blocks nearby for us less nature-inclined folks :)

Happy Wednesday!
  • cafarrie said:
    I just want to thank everyone who posted on this thread!!!  I think this is a perfect example of what I hope to find ALL the time TK.  OP posted a question, was respectful of the fact her idea might not be everyone's cup of tea.  PP's who disagreed, did so respectfully, and OP got some great advice and ideas from them and PP's who thought it was a great idea!  

I was having a bad day, came here for a little advice, saw some crappy stupid fights, and then this one!!  Put a smile on my face, so thanks ladies - that's what these boards should be all about!

for what it's worth @anniewalkerx I think your wedding weekend sounds like a fantastic and fun idea!  I agree with PP's about hotel blocks nearby for us less nature-inclined folks :)

Happy Wednesday!
    Yeah, but there was nothing against etiquette in her question. And she was receptive to criticism. Which is something a lot of OPs are not.
    Anniversary
  • That was my point!  Everyone approached this perfectly, and I think it's a great example for other people looking for or giving advice on this site!
  • cafarrie said:
    That was my point!  Everyone approached this perfectly, and I think it's a great example for other people looking for or giving advice on this site!
    Oh I thought this was one of those "the wives on the knot are SO MEAN" posts.
    Anniversary
  • Hahah @ashleyep I think some of them definitely can be mean (I definitely think etiquette errors should be pointed out - just maybe in a more constructive way sometimes).  

I was just super impressed though with how everyone on this post handled themselves even when they disagreed!
  • absolutely! that sounds like a blast and a unique experience
  • This sounds like a blast to me. A totally different experience to a high end hotel wedding weekend which is totally not me lol. I would judge your guests and how many would like this idea. I would give the option of staying onsite or in a hotel block,

• Now I want to go camping.
  • cafarrie said:
    I just want to thank everyone who posted on this thread!!!  I think this is a perfect example of what I hope to find ALL the time TK.  OP posted a question, was respectful of the fact her idea might not be everyone's cup of tea.  PP's who disagreed, did so respectfully, and OP got some great advice and ideas from them and PP's who thought it was a great idea!  

Happy Wednesday!

Yeah, well, you're not gonna see it all the time, so get over that.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Honestly I've never really seen people get "mean" with each other until OP's do the whole "I'm not here to get real advice I just want my rudeness validated" thing. And even then it's really just straight-up bluntness from people, or the OP doing the whole "I feel sorry for your SOs" thing..

ETA: Not talking about the OP in this post! Just talking about how arguments usually go in other "mean" boards :)

SUUURE YOU WEREN'T. I FEEL SORRY FOR YOUR SO!

:)

I agree with you. I came here for a reason: blunt honesty. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards