DIY Wedding Forum

Flower Petal Aisle Runner

Hey Everyone! 
I have started seeing a lot of inspiration of weddings with this flower petal designs instead of a runner. The pictures of it look beautiful, but I was wondering what the functionality of it is when guest start to walk over it, and then when my drags along it, I'm sure it will be destroyed. Has anyone seen this in person and what it starts to look like as people proceed into the ceremony? Does it really only look good for 1 picture? Do guests tend to walk around it? 

My wedding is outside, and I won't have a flower girl, so I thought this was a great option, but not sure if it's worth it. Any thoughts? 

Re: Flower Petal Aisle Runner

• I've only seen this at one wedding. It was awesome, yes. But it got destroyed just by the WP walking on it. 

They blocked off the center aisle and had people seated via the outside of the row. You'd probably want to have ushers if you did this so there's no confusion.

Block the center aisle like this at the head of it:

and the internal sides like this:

If you're on a tight budget, this might be too expensive. Plus if your venue is windy, you might as well forget it.
    *********************************************************************************

• I made an aisle runner using fake petals glued to a sheet cut into a swirly shape. It was beautiful, so beautiful that I forgot to use it. :( 

If you really don't want it to get messed up, you could buy like a million fake petals online and make one. Let me know if you want to consider this and I'll give you more details on how I did mine. I probably spent a total of like $60 - including the petals, fabric and glue. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I second the aisle runner using fake petals and glued onto something.  I'm working on an aisle runner totally covered in fake petals...it's gorgeous, but a ton of work, and sometimes I wish I had done little swirly patterns instead.  I buy petals from Hobby Lobby when they have their 50% off everything wedding sales (I have a thing about the colors being consistent), and use hot glue to attach them to a paper aisle runner.  I wanted real petals, but the church aisles are carpeted, and mashing rose petals into the floor with my heels is not how I want to thank the church I've gone to for 22 years...

It all depends on how much time you have and how much effort you want to put into it.  FI just deployed, our wedding date is totally up in the air because of it, and it's kind of nice to pour a glass of wine on a Friday night and work on a long-term wedding-related project.

I've also seen online aisle runner DIY tutorials where you sew the petals onto tulle and then lay them out.  This seems like a terrible idea for a full aisle runner, but maybe would work better if you just wanted to make some swaths of petals to swirl over the aisle?  (I'm not entirely sure that makes sense...it does in my head).
  • I made an aisle runner using fake petals glued to a sheet cut into a swirly shape. It was beautiful, so beautiful that I forgot to use it. :( 

If you really don't want it to get messed up, you could buy like a million fake petals online and make one. Let me know if you want to consider this and I'll give you more details on how I did mine. I probably spent a total of like $60 - including the petals, fabric and glue. 
    My friend did this for her outdoor wedding and actually used it.  The uneven surface on the grass meant it still got trampled by her wedding party because the runner didn't hold perfectly straight and started bunching up.  It looked horrible by the time my friend walked down the aisle.  And then it was windy to boot and the earlier trampling meant whatever they used to hold it down didn't hold and half way through most of the people were watching the aisle runner blow away instead of the watching the ceremony.

If you're having an outdoor ceremony, just use nature's aisle runner (grass).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards