Chit Chat
Options

I made a lot of etiquette mistakes around my wedding and am really embarrassed

I was married a few years ago. It didn't last very long. It had been a long relationship before we were married, but my ex became a VERY different person once the vows were exchanged, in a very violent and controlling way. The divorce was really sudden and shocked all of our friends and family, and myself. 

Like I said, years ago, so I'm in a much better place now and in a great relationship, however; now I'm a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding and have been very excitedly helping her look up info and plan things, because I love event planning, and am realizing I made a lot of glaring errors. I was following the advice of certain other wedding sites, and now that I've come across the Knot boards and other sites in my recent research for my friend I've realized I did a lot wrong in etiquette ways, and I feel really embarrassed and bad about it now. 

When I got married I was a little more than a year out of college and the first of my friends to get married. My wedding was the first wedding I ever went to, and I really wasn’t the kind of had dreamed of what my wedding would be like before. I definitely got in over my head during planning and just made some faux pas out of ignorance. Definitely more a case of, stuff that never would have bothered me I didn't even consider could be seen as rude or improper to other people who knew better.  (We had a cash registry, for example. I didn't know how gross it was, someone suggested it when I had asked a question about what to put on a real registry, since we were renting at the time and didn’t have the space for a lot of stuff/already had a lot of the stuff we NEEDED and felt weird asking for stuff we didn’t actually need/didn't want to not register and end up with a bunch of stuff we already had. Someone said to do a honeymoon registry since it was “more polite than asking for cash outright”and I believed them and created one.)

So my question is, what do I do at this point, or is just a try to forget about it and move on sort of thing? I feel terrible that I slighted my friends and part of me kind of wants to acknowledge to them that I was just ignorant and not trying to be rude and apologize, but part of me thinks that it’s been so long and a lot of them probably never even noticed/cared about some of that stuff, and the most offended are my ex’s family who hate me anyway and I’m really not about to reach out to them. It does bother me that they all just think I'm this terribly rude and ungrateful person on top of all the extra things they think about me because of my ex's gross lying in an attempt to hide the fact that his abuse is what ended our marriage and not anything I actually did. But any contact to any of them would be more harm than good for sure. But to my friends, I'm not sure what I do about it now or if it's best to just not do anything. 

(as an aside, the wedding itself was really great! we had good food, no money dances or any of those kind of extra money-grabby things, we got a lot of great comments from guests about how much fun they had and how comfortable they felt so at least that was good).

Re: I made a lot of etiquette mistakes around my wedding and am really embarrassed

• Options
    You got married years ago. Don't worry about it now. Bringing it up would only be awkward if you ask me.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    It's over and in the past now. I would be more weirded out if you brought it up now. At least now you know better. 
  • Options
    It sounds like you were in a rough situation, so I am guessing your family and friends are more worried about that than a years-old faux pas.  I would not mention it, but just be sure to always use good etiquette moving forward.  You can also use this new knowledge to help your friend have her own etiquette-approved wedding.  Good luck.

• Options
    I think you should move on from it. We all make mistakes so stop beating yourself up for them. At least you know good etiquette now. Some people never get that far. You could help your friend who is getting married. Maybe that will help you feel better.
  • Options
    I was married 10 years ago when I was 24. I too make a ton of etiquette mistakes (we had a gap, I replaced a BM, my BM gifts were jewelry, I got drunk at the wedding). The marriage also lasted a little over a year. I was young and dumb. I was even on TK at the time, so I really had no excuse. And unfortunately I let my mother take a lot of control. 

There's nothing I can do about any of that now. It's the past. I can't change it. We all make mistakes. Beating yourself up over it isn't productive and will only make you feel bad. It's OK. You don't need to explain or apologize to anyone. 
  • Options
    Don't beat yourself over it. It's the past and what's done is done. No need to rehash it out. --------------------------------------------------------------- The best thing you can do is learn from you mistakes and correct them for the future. Remember most of the etiquette things we talk about are not exclusively for weddings. The can (and should) be used for ANY event you host.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it. I kept feeling super cringy every time I read an etiquette post and being afraid that maybe I had friends smiling to my face and inwardly raging at my mistakes. That's not really like them, to be honest, but that's the way my brain works. But thanks for telling me it's oaky to calm down and not make it a big deal. I wanted to be sure I wasn't telling myself it'd be too awkward to say anything now just because I didn't want to have to say anything or because it was true haha.
  • Options
    Don't fret too much over it. It is in the past and yes, some people probably judged you, but if they're still in your life it must not have been relationship-ending moves in their eyes. Now you just know better for the future.

FWIW, I'm so thankful I came across TK because otherwise I would be making etiquette mistakes without even realizing it.

• Options
    You need to let this go and move on.  These etiquette mistakes happened years ago so why in the world would you want to bring them up and hash them out now?  Just learn from the mistakes you made and move forward.

• Options
    When you know better, you do better. --Maya Angelou
  • Options
    When you know better, you do better. --Maya Angelou
    This times 1000. 
    Stop beating yourself up. Embarrassment is a useful emotion, because it lets us know not to do that thing again. Once that lesson is learned, let it go. Nothing is served by making yourself feel terrible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards