Wedding Etiquette Forum

Fiancé dead set on a Honeyfund

I've learned from here that Honeyfunds are a faux-pas, and although I don't personally mind them ( I like buying Honeyfund gifts for friends' weddings!), I'd really rather not have one at mine. I'm just too worried that someone will judge me. My fiancé is completely set on having one, though. Like, non-negotiable. I've tried every way to convince him (including telling him that some people will probably still give us cash anyway and finally just asking him to pretty please just do it for me), and it's a no-go. I suppose this isn't really a question, because the issue is no longer even up for discussion, but...I dunno. Just thought I'd share.

Re: Fiancé dead set on a Honeyfund

• I agree with PPs. Maybe show him the fees involved with honeyfund. If not, send him here! We will straighten him out for you!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Mentioning the fees is a good idea! Sending him here wouldn't help though. When he found out I was getting my information from an internet message board, it did not exactly help my case ;)
  • Absolutely agree with PPs.  I had a colleague ask my opinion of honeymoon funds in general, and while I tried to be pragmatic is my opposition to them (seems weird to ask someone to pay for my vacation, want to know before we travel, can't buy actual experiences, etc.), it was my "and we really didn't want to lose out on a percentage of what our guests felt like giving!"  that won him over on not having one. 

I'd present not having one as a way to make money since you will get the whole amount of a guest's gift.  And I'd remind him it's perfectly acceptable to not registry for something else as an alternative, and to spread the word through family/friends/known gossips that people who ask what to get you can be told that you are saving for your honeymoon.
    Anniversary

• The fees would be the best way with my other half- so I echo that thought. 

Do you not have the money to take a honeymoon after the expense of a wedding? Or is he just looking to save the money off of what you already have planned?
  • "Fi, I will NOT be begging for money from our guests that we are hosting. End of discussion."

Done.  

This.

• Mentioning the fees is a good idea! Sending him here wouldn't help though. When he found out I was getting my information from an internet message board, it did not exactly help my case ;)
    We are a forum of women and men of all ages, from all over the world, from all walks of life. . . that's a pretty good, unofficial sampling of people.  And if the majority of us are saying that Honeyfunds are rude and tacky, and you will silently be judged negatively for having one, then your FI better belief that some, if not many, of his actual friends and family will agree with us and think he is very gauche.

Show him these comments.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• My FI and I were debating a honeyfund when we were deciding about registries. The minute I told him that the companies took a cut of the gifts he said absolutely not, and I agreed. I also personally don't mind honeyfunds, though after I learned about the cut I simply send the couple the money directly instead.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Does he understand how they work? I find that most people who love the idea don't know that it's just cash minus a fee.
  • edited August 2014
    Here is my personal experience...it's canned response I C&P over and over again :-p
    ***************************************************************************************************************
    We did not register - anywhere. Everyone knows cash is always appropriate, appreciated and often preferred - literally everyone on earth knows this. =o) 

Some people will want to get you a physical gift - these are not the people who use HM registries. The people who use HM registries are people who would give you a check, but instead think that you will receive the FULL amount they gift you. You you will ACTUALLY receive that massage, not a credit on your bill and if you decide you can get the massage or take the excursion. 

But I have good news :) 
    For our wedding the gifts broke down like this: 75% cash or check, 20% gift cards and 5% physical gifts. 
    If you want money or don't need anything don't register. This is the best way to politely suggest folks give you money. I'm telling you from experience ;-) 

A HM is not polite, sorry. There is nothing wrong with saying, when asked where you are registered, we are saving up for the honeymoon (or house or big screen TV or whatever it is you'd like to purchase). GL!

:kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• MIss Manners is the modern day etiquette guru. She says no. Your mothers will probably agree. I know my mother would be livid if I was asking her friends for money via website.
  • I'd ask why does he want to give away 6% of your money to a corporation designed to decieve people out of money?
  • abbyj700 said:
    The fees would be the best way with my other half- so I echo that thought. 

Do you not have the money to take a honeymoon after the expense of a wedding? Or is he just looking to save the money off of what you already have planned?

Door #2
  • Tell him about the fees. People will give you money without asking for it. You'll get the whole amount that way.
  • "Fi, I will NOT be begging for money from our guests that we are hosting. End of discussion."

Done.  

This.

Haha, it's satisfying to think about, but that 's just not my personality.
  • My FI is sold on a honey-fund too, but the next time it comes up I intend to inform him about the fees. I have zero concerns - he will drop the issue like a bad habit, and likely bad-mouth honeyfunds for the rest of his days.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • I guess the question now is what are you comfortable saying to him? If my FI told me that we were doing something and that it wasn't up for discussion, we would be having serious issues. You are a team and he does not get to solely make decisions that will affect you both.
  • melissamusicmelissamusic member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014

"Fi, I will NOT be begging for money from our guests that we are hosting. End of discussion."

Done.  

This.

Haha, it's satisfying to think about, but that 's just not my personality.
    It has nothing to do with someone's "personality," it's called standing your ground on properly hosting your guests and not pandhandling.

Well, it kinda does have to do with personality. Putting my foot down and saying "end of discussion" is something I never do. I prefer to try to convince the other person of the logic of my position, and failing that, either keep my mouth shut or, if it's really important, to ask them to do it as a favor. But just laying down the law and saying "this is how it's gonna be" just isn't me.
  • I suppose it's just not the hill I choose to die on. It's important to me to not have a Honeyfund, yes, but not as important as my relationship. I'll use the fee suggestion, though! Can't believe I didn't think of that before!
  • I suppose it's just not the hill I choose to die on. It's important to me to not have a Honeyfund, yes, but not as important as my relationship. I'll use the fee suggestion, though! Can't believe I didn't think of that before!

But are you willing to have your FI lay down the law on things you prefer not to do throughout your whole marriage?

You are going to be judged just as heavily as your FI by your guests for the honeyfund. I don't think it is fair that he is willing to have people think you are rude and tacky simply because he wants to ensure that he gets cash gifts.

But are you willing to have your FI lay down the law on things you prefer not to do throughout your whole marriage?

You are going to be judged just as heavily as your FI by your guests for the honeyfund. I don't think it is fair that he is willing to have people think you are rude and tacky simply because he wants to ensure that he gets cash gifts.

The trouble is, he doesn't believe that people will judge. That's what I most wish I could convince him.

This.  You need to have a discussion about this.  You need to understand what his logic is for wanting a Honeyfund, and then refute whatever that logic is in a calm and straightforward manner.  And you also need to tell him that no matter what he believes, your guests will judge you both negatively for being so gauche as to register for cash.  If he refuses to seek a compromise with you, then you do have a hill you need to be willing to die on. . . the hill of "No one should be allowed to make unilateral decisions" hill.

I suppose it's just not the hill I choose to die on. It's important to me to not have a Honeyfund, yes, but not as important as my relationship. I'll use the fee suggestion, though! Can't believe I didn't think of that before!
    I obviously know nothing about your relationship, but if I were you, I'd be getting upset that my H was being so inconsiderate of my feelings over something like getting money from loved ones via a deceptive website. 

It feels like he's choosing his desire for money through a website over his concern for your feelings. Doesn't seem fair or appropriate. I don't know. I'd be really upset with H for pushing back at me over something like wanting money from other people. 

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• H wanted a honeyfund at one point, (we paid for the honeymoon but for some of the excursions). I showed him the website and mentioned we just get a check and that the website gets a percentage.  Once I showed him that he agreed it wasn't worth it but it did take some convincing on top of the fact that it's just plain tacky.

Anniversary

• Seriously.  There are fees.  DH & I got ~ $1500 in cash / checks for our wedding.  Had people gone through honeyfund, we would have lost around $75.  Not cool.  People know that cash is an option as a wedding gift.
  • I must admit, you ladies are making me feel better. I should have a say in this! Not that I'll actually act on that feeling, but still.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards