Snarky Brides

Can someone go dress shopping with me...

I have made and cancelled three appointments because everyone cancelled on me. I have tried to accommodate everyone's schedule and each time I get cancelled on. I was just going to go by myself today because once again no one could make it. But when I said that I gave up and would just go alone you would have thought I slapped someone's great grandma. I do get that everyone has their own life and I'm not saying people need to change their life for me. But why does everyone keep having me make these appointments and then cancel... I have never been in a bridal gown... All I have is my binder with all my important papers (contracts etc.) and a couple pictures of gowns that made me go "ooooo pretty".  

Did anyone else go dress shopping by themselves?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Can someone go dress shopping with me...

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    I have made and cancelled three appointments because everyone cancelled on me. I have tried to accommodate everyone's schedule and each time I get cancelled on. I was just going to go by myself today because once again no one could make it. But when I said that I gave up and would just go alone you would have thought I slapped someone's great grandma. I do get that everyone has their own life and I'm not saying people need to change their life for me. But why does everyone keep having me make these appointments and then cancel... I have never been in a bridal gown... All I have is my binder with all my important papers (contracts etc.) and a couple pictures of gowns that made me go "ooooo pretty".  

I think your problem is trying to coordinate scheduleS (multiple people). Just take 1 other person and start trying things on. Trying to round up a group of flakey people is like herding cats. Take 1 reliable friend/ family member. You actually don't want more than 1 or 2 people there otherwise it is a dress choice by committee and not actually what you want. It is helpful to have a second set of eyes when you actually purchase it.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Flakiness/ lateness is one of my biggest bugbears!
  • I have made and cancelled three appointments because everyone cancelled on me. I have tried to accommodate everyone's schedule and each time I get cancelled on. I was just going to go by myself today because once again no one could make it. But when I said that I gave up and would just go alone you would have thought I slapped someone's great grandma. I do get that everyone has their own life and I'm not saying people need to change their life for me. But why does everyone keep having me make these appointments and then cancel... I have never been in a bridal gown... All I have is my binder with all my important papers (contracts etc.) and a couple pictures of gowns that made me go "ooooo pretty".  

I think your problem is trying to coordinate scheduleS (multiple people). Just take 1 other person and start trying things on. Trying to round up a group of flakey people is like herding cats. Take 1 reliable friend/ family member. You actually don't want more than 1 or 2 people there otherwise it is a dress choice by committee and not actually what you want. It is helpful to have a second set of eyes when you actually purchase it.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Flakiness/ lateness is one of my biggest bugbears!
    I'm going to go again next week and just take my sister because taking 3 people is not gonna happen! This is my biggest pet peeve as well!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I sort of did.  My mom & sister joined me one weekend to go dress shopping.  I didn't find anything I liked.  At that time, I was on a project for work that required me to travel out-of-state M-Th every week.  I did that for 6 months (yes, while I was engaged).  I didn't travel the week of 4th of July since the 4th fell on a Wednesday that year (and it made no sense to fly out and spend the company's money to just sit in a hotel on a company holiday).  I heard of a bridal salon that had evening hours on Tuesdays & Thursdays.  I was in conference calls all day, but I called the salon that Thursday and talked to a consultant.  I told her my size (I'm plus-sized) and told her that I had already been shopping and knew sort of what I wanted (no strapless, no pick-ups, etc).  They said they'd pull a few dresses and I told them I'd be there in 20 minutes.  On my way, I called a friend who lived in the area.  I asked her to meet me at the store.  That's when I chose my dress.  It was a spur-of-the moment shopping trip.  If the friend hadn't been able to join me, I would have been perfectly fine going alone. 

If you have an appt today and nobody can join you, screw 'em.  Go solo.  And if the policy of the store allows you, take pictures and send them to people if you want 2nd opinions.  My mom wasn't at all disappointed that I picked out my dress without her.  I think she was just happy that I did and that I got it for a good deal since it was off-the-rack.  :)
  • I picked out and purchased my dress by myself. I sort of feel really pressured/influenced when shopping with other people. So I was more comfortable PICKING the dress on my own. I've taken my Dad with me for my fittings since then, though. :)

• I went dress shopping by myself. Parents live 8 hrs away and I only really wanted their opinion on it.

The bridal store let me put down a deposit so I could take a picture of my dress to send to my parents before I "officially" bought it, but I decided I was getting it whether they liked it or not :P

If you feel like you know what you want and what you look good in I say go for it! The consultant will help you and it was wayyyy more relaxing and calm for me to go on my own.
  • Just make an appointment and tell them "if you want to be a part of this, I'm going on XXX. Let me know either way." If they come they come, and if they don't they don't. It's no big deal to go by yourself. If anything, you'll pick something YOU love and not something someone else loves.
    *********************************************************************************

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited August 2014
    I don't understand why you think you need someone to go shopping with you.  Is someone else paying for your dress?  If not, go by yourself.  It is easier to concentrate when you are alone than when you have an entourage, and some stores even limit the number of people you can bring with you because they don't have the space for them all.  It sounds like you have been watching too much SYTTD.
    When you find the right dress, you will know.  I went by myself many years ago.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I don't understand why you think you need someone to go shopping with you.  Is someone else paying for your dress?  If not, go by yourself.  It is easier to concentrate when you are alone than when you have an entourage, and some stores even limit the number of people you can bring with you because they don't have the space for them all.  It sounds like you have been watching too much SYTTD.
    How did you know... That's honestly why I was trying to go by myself

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you ladies! I guess I just needed that extra kick in the butt to tell me I could go alone!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lc07lc07 member
    I went by myself! Was great.
  • CMGragain said:
    How did you know... That's honestly why I was trying to go by myself

Had you not seen countless brides bring people, who always have opinions and basically ruin the appointment?  Yeah, that was one on my reasons of not bringing more people than just my mom.  I went with one person, and I didn't want anymore and it went just fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards