DIY Wedding Forum

DIY pocket fold advice and budget

I am inlove with pocket fold invatations. Has any one made their own from scratch. or bought a kit online and made them? Is it cheaper to buy supplies online and made everything my self? Can someone show me a completed picutre of a DIY one? Does any one know a good site to get instructions to make own invatations? And if any one has made there own what did they cost per invatations. with or with out postage.

Re: DIY pocket fold advice and budget

• I got my invites printed and ordered the pockets and envelopes from cardsandpockets.com. It was definitely more expensive than doing the pockets myself, but I wasn't interested in putting that much time into them.

I ordered samples of the paper and belly bands from them to make sure I liked it. It was fairly inexpensive to do that. You might want to look into that option.
    Anniversary

• vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
     I made my own and while it was cheaper than buying them on etsy, I still spent a good amt of money and a ton of time on them.   I don't remember exact amounts, not including postage I probably spent around $200-250 to make 60 invites. This included the invitation and 4 additional enclosures (directions, rsvp, reception and accomodations cards)   I bought the pocketfolds and envelopes on cardsandpockets.com, bought cardstock online (can't recall site right now), purchased a template on etsy (around $45 I think) and printed it all myself. cutting all the enclosures wasn't the biggest pain because the template I used required the different enclosures to line up perfectly so I ended up (okay not me, my mom did it for me because I can't cut a straight line for the life of me) cut each enclosure by hand with an exacto knife. I then used lace to make a belly band with a 2x2 square mounted on card stock with our initials. I don't have a pic on this computer, but can prob post a pic later or tomorrow.
  • We did our own for my daughter. Used a heavy linen textured paper, the 12x12 sort sold for scrapbooking. We bought it during the Joanne's sale, 5 sheets for 1$, which they run fairly frequently.

1: Don't laugh at our pattern, which was a rough draft of where we were going with this.

2: Get your 40% off coupon for JoAnn's or Michaels, and spend 15$ on a slick little paper cutter, or you will be hating life.

3. ( Basic cutting for 12x12 paper)  First cut, seven inches all the way across, and then you have a 7x12. 
    4: Take two inches off the long end, and you have a 7x10.  (Folded, this will be your 5x7 card.) And a nice little 2 inch wide strip. Cut that to just a little short of 5 inches long. 
    5: The bottom of your paper is now a 5x12 strip. Cut it in half, and then an inch off each end for 2 4x6 inserts. 

Here's the pattern. Refer to number 1. No laughing.

We attached the 5x 2 pocket with a thin line of glue along the bottom and sides,  on the lower right, used a decorative sheet of 4 1/2 by 6 1/2 behind the 4x6 invitation, and were good to go.
    Used ribbons and acrylic bubbles to gussy up the outside.

Pretty sure we came out right around 30 cents each.

They are much prettier than the pattern.
    imageimage
  • jenni1221 said:
     I made my own and while it was cheaper than buying them on etsy, I still spent a good amt of money and a ton of time on them.   I don't remember exact amounts, not including postage I probably spent around $200-250 to make 60 invites. This included the invitation and 4 additional enclosures (directions, rsvp, reception and accomodations cards)   I bought the pocketfolds and envelopes on cardsandpockets.com, bought cardstock online (can't recall site right now), purchased a template on etsy (around $45 I think) and printed it all myself. cutting all the enclosures wasn't the biggest pain because the template I used required the different enclosures to line up perfectly so I ended up (okay not me, my mom did it for me because I can't cut a straight line for the life of me) cut each enclosure by hand with an exacto knife. I then used lace to make a belly band with a 2x2 square mounted on card stock with our initials. I don't have a pic on this computer, but can prob post a pic later or tomorrow.
    here is pic
  • Our invites are 6x9" so finding pockets was really difficult so we made our own. I only had 45 invites to make so I went for it.

We ordered heavy construction paper on Amazon for about 6$ for 50 sheets and that was enough to make our 45 pocketfolds. I went through about 12$ worth of glue runners making my pockets 40 cents each. I saved about 20$ making our own (.29 cheaper each than cardsandpockets plus the shipping costs if I had ordered them). Time-wise it took me less time than I thought it would but still a lot of time. Each piece of 12x18 paper had to be cut to 9x18 and then I cut the pockets, scored each pocket, and glued it onto the pocketfold card. 

The finished product:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am making my own .. I ordered samples of paper and pocket folds from paperandmore ... My belly bands I made from 12 x 12 scrapbook paper from hobby lobby when they do their 50% off sale. I am going to have 3 inserts in my pocket. I would be happy to tell you how to format the cardstock to print using your own printer. If you want to email me, [email protected]
  • I made pocketfold invites for my sister's wedding invites.

I had originally planned to do everything from scratch, but when I priced out the materials to make the pockets, just buying the 12x12 paper came out to nearly same cost as buying pre-made pockets on cardsandpockets.com.  So, we ended up buying the pockets. We also bought the envelopes (large for invites & small for RSVP and thank you cards) from cardsandpockets.com.

I then bought Recollections shimmer cardstock value packs from Michaels for the invites & inserts (using their 40% off or 50% off coupons).  I designed, printed, and cut them myself. My invites were very similar to Cayjungrll, except vertical orientation. If you stick with something simple, you can probably design it just using Microsoft Word, if you don't have access or knowledge for other software... or there are a lot of templates available online.

They turned out really nice and I think we calculated total cost at somewhere between $1.50 - $2.00 per invite (including all envelopes, but not including postage). 

• These look great. What a fab idea! I'm stealing this one x 
  • I am looking to have them around 150 a piece. And the time is not an issue if i knew in the end i was getting what i want. just not sure where to start on making my own because i like a few off etsy but they are 6 bucks a piece!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards