Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

wedding dress??

I always dreamed of wearing a big poofy dress for my wedding and i still do. but the problem is im only 5'2 and very thin and from what ive heard and read that is not what kind of dress i should wear for my body type, since it would make me look shorter and other stuff. Im going to try on dresses in two weeks and i feel like my dream of wearing perfect ball gown dress is crushed. Is there anything i can do to still wear one or least something that would look good on me and still be poofy?

Re: wedding dress??

• Options
    Every dress and every body is different.  "Poofy" includes an entire range of dresses.  All you can do is try dresses on. If you want a poofy dress there is probably one out there that will look perfect on you, it just might take more hunting to find, its more an issue of proportions than a definite and complete ban on poofy for all small and skinny people. Some short ladies look gorgeous in a poofy gown because they manage to find a dress that hits them right everywhere.

That said, what you imagine yourself wearing isn't always what you will fall in love with so when you go try on dresses, be open to non-poofy gowns.  You might find that you fall for a dress that is completely unexpected.  Don't limit yourself to just trying on poofy ones in the search for the right dress, go in with an open mind and try on a variety of dresses, including poofy ones and you will find the dress that is right for you.
  • Options
    Definitely try on some poofier styles, because while many ball gowns make short brides look shorter, not all do. So give it a try.

But try to keep an open mind. Try on different silhouettes. Many of us on here ended up with different dresses then the ones we pinned and loved on models.

Anniversary
  • Options
    thanks everyone i never thought you could have some fullness taken out and i will definitely try on different types of dresses.
  • Options
    There are some pictures of petite brides in ballgowns here: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/can-petite-brides-wear-ball-gowns/#axzz3Ah3Zkca3
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    A-line styles are becoming popular again.  They flatter most figures and give you some pouffyness.  Most brides find that the dress they had always dreamed of is not as beautiful as they had imagined.  Go try on different styles and keep an open mind.  You will find the perfect dress and will wonder why you ever wanted something else!
    My daughter is 6' tall, and SHE had trouble finding a flattering dress!  Once she found it, she never questioned it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I think some "poofy" dresses will flatter you. It all depends on the cut of the dress. I'm sure you will an awesome dress. Post pictures of when you go!
  • Options
    You never know what you will find. I was ADAMANT that I would not be wearing a strapless sweetheart gown (didn't think it would be flattering on me). What did I end up with? You guessed it! :)

The best thing you can do is keep an open mind!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Alikat9614Alikat9614 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2014
    I'm 5'2" and a street size 8 (dress is a 12). My wedding dress is ball gown and it doesn't make me look shorter, actually quite the opposite, and I'm only in a 2.25" heel. I was the same as @beachyone15 -- no strapless, no sweetheart neckline... And it's exactly what I ended up with and adore!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about that. I'm only 5'3 and I tried on a bunch of ball gowns because that's what I always envisioned myself in (although I ended up with a mermaid style... lol) and never once thought they made me look short. Plus, most of the girls at the stores I went to told me that the dresses look a LOT better when they are hemmed for your height. It''s all about confidence - if you want a ball gown, be confident that you are going to find one that looks good on you! But don't be afraid to try on different styles, as well.
  • Options
    While I totally agree you have to have an open mind and get rid of any preconceived notions of what will and will not look good, I do think it's fine to have some adjectives to stick to. What do you want to look like? Glamorous, romantic, sexy, etc.? I think a lot of brides who have second thoughts about their dresses are the brides who end up picking a dress that looks amazing on them, but just isn't the feel they've been thinking about. You need to feel the way you want to feel on your wedding day, AND look good. 

Personally, I chose a beaded slight-mermaid style gown. I think I look great in it. But I totally agree/admit that I would have looked thinner in a different style dress. But I didn't love any of those dresses nearly as much, and none of them had the really glamorous feel I was going for. I didn't feel like me in them. Looking thin, or tall, or busty, or curvy, or any of that is not THE most important thing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards