Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Alteration Costs

I'm just wondering how much people have spent on having dress alterations. In particular at David's Bridal. Thanks :)

Re: Alteration Costs

• Options
    Mine is through a bridal boutique, not David's. It's $250 for the straps to be taken up, the sash to be sewn on, and the double layer bustle.

• Options
    Avoid David's alterations. Seriously. Read the reviews online, they are terrible. Then search the posts here, more nightmares from their alterations department.

Alterations depend on your area and what is being done. Hemming a skirt with several layers is going to be more than hemming a skirt with few. What does your dress need?
  • Options
    I haven't ordered it yet, but I've heard horror stories... especially with David's.. and that's unfortunately where the dress I chose is from. It would need hemmed.. and a bustle for sure. 

• Options
    Go ahead and buy your dress from DB if you love it but nothing says you have to have it altered there.  Check here on on yelp for a good independent seamstress in your area.  You will be very happy you did.  The quality will be head and shoulders above David's and I can almost guarantee it will be cheaper if you go outside of David's for alterations, too.  Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Do NOT feel pressure to get your dress altered wherever you purchase it from. You own it, you are more than able to take it out of the store and have it altered somewhere else.

My alterations were $250 for a ballroom bustle, taking it in on the sides, and for it to be hemmed.

• Options
    Thanks guys! I have been in David's twice now and every time I feel pushed... so I'll just have to stand my ground and know beforehand who will be altering it. :)

• Options
    Another vote for avoiding DB for alterations. I believe my salon is charging me $300 for alterations including my bustle.
  • Options
    @ClimbingBrideNY wow.. yeah that sucks.. I was afraid that's what I would hear. I'm thinking I'll be starting a search for a seamstress!

• Options
    I had my dress altered at DB. They did a fantastic job. I'm sure it depends on the location that you go to. I had a hem and a 22 point bustle and it cost $330. My dress was lace so the alterations had to be done on the lace and the underlay separately.
  • Options
    I've been for my first fitting and here's the rundown
    • Hem (lace) $170
    • add extra crinoline $60
    • Alter beaded belt (it's too big) $30
    FI also wants it to be a sweetheart neckline since I'm known for my boobs so I will address that with her when I go for my 2nd fitting on Wednesday.

• Options
    I went to DB and had a good experience. I paid a little over $200 for a 4-point bustle, a hem, and to have a sash stitched onto the dress.
  • Options
    DB's stores are independently owned and operated.  The quality of their seamstress' work varies.  There is no way we can give you a blanket statement about their work or prices on alterations.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

• Options
    I spent $150 on my dress alterations (the sides taken in and a french bustle). Fortunately, it didn't need to be hemmed. My fiance and I have had great luck asking around for local tailor recommendations and looking at reviews online. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards