Wisconsin

getting a passport w/ new last name

so my FI and i are planning our honeymoon to mexico, but neither of us have our passports yet, and ive been told you should start the process 6 months before you will need the actual document.  does anyone know if i can apply for my passport with my FI last name on it, or do i just have to get one passport now and then after we get married get another one??

Re: getting a passport w/ new last name

• liloriole2000liloriole2000 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

You will need to get a passport with your current name, then change after you get married and have your license. It's a pain because you have to pay twice, but without a social security card or anything else that says the new last name, they won't let you apply for it.

• edited December 2011
    I just booked my honeymoon to Mexico the other day and applied for my passport on Monday.  Go to the post office, look for one that also takes the photos (the one in Waukesha is where we went and the lady was super nice) it costs $75 for the application and another $40-50 for the photo/processing fees.  YOU CAN ONLY USE YOUR  CURRENT NAME!  You need your original birth certificate and driver's license.  Hurry up and get yours because the US State Department is raising the fees from $75 to $135 very soon.  I'm a journalist so I know.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    You also need to do it in your current last name because if you are leaving right after your wedding you won't have a driver's license or other ID with your new last name yet. You need that to get through security at the airport.
    Also, make sure you are booking your plane tickets in your CURRENT name so your ID will match them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_getting-passport-w-new-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:f35ac05f-9d17-429a-a408-244c8f0e7c6fPost:11be08e3-bce1-4d68-9e55-6dc921ece73c">Re: getting a passport w/ new last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]You will need to get a passport with your current name, then change after you get married and have your license. It's a pain because you have to pay twice, Posted by liloriole2000[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect.  You do not have to pay twice if you are changing your name in your passport less than 1 year after the original was issued (and you are not expediting the renewed passport).

<a href="http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html">http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html</a>

The other posters are correct: your passport and all travel documents must be in your current legal name to get through TSA and customs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Hurry, passport prices are going up at the beginning of Summer!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards