Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Help needed with proposal planning

I have been with my guy for three years. After one year I caught him trying to plan a proposal for me and told him if he tried anything like that I didn't know if I could stay with him ( I am very stubborn and slow to love... and sometimes kind of mean, but he puts up with it.) We both agreed that it made sense then for me to do the proposing when I am ready.

Well I am ready. I have a few Ideas, but am having trouble pulling them all together. We live in a small city, so I don't have to many places or things at my disposal. I was thinking since we were both political nuts and love reading the news paper together, that I would make a whole news paper for it. It would be written as a political newspaper coming out right before elections. the headline would be the proposal, the sides would have facts about presidential proposals and wedding. There would be an article about him, an article about me, one about how we met. There would also be a comic section that has us drawn out and describes the fun side of our relationship. I have it mostly made.

But its after that where I get confused. My first plan was to have think we are going somewhere that morning and have him drop of the dogs and go to a restaurant where we would supposedly meet for breakfast. the waitress there would give him the newspaper. In the news paper he would find a classified section that would send him on a scavenger hunt around town to our favorite places. Each place he would get a little gift or something for us that night. then it would end at the capitol building where I would meet him at the steps with his ring, and then we would ride a limo an hour and a half to a beautiful themed suite.

I worry if that is too complicated. He loves attention. I thought I could get the store clerk near his work (where he visits everyday) to give it to him. then he would read it at work and have that. then I could just meet him when he gets off with the limo and give him the ring right then and there. and then we could ride to the suite. But I'm concerned we wouldn't  have enough time at the suite (it is an expensive nice room I know he will want to enjoy.

Any suggestions on either ides? Any other ideas? the only things I am definite on are the newspaper and the themed suite. But that is it. I feel like there is some better way of going about it, but I am just missing it. I want to make it really grand.

Re: Help needed with proposal planning

• Options
    Your plan sounds very expensive and elaborate for just a proposal, but that's me. Actually, me being me is kind of the problem with you asking us for advice. We aren't your BF - we don't know what he would appreciate and what he would not. For me, personally, I'd be mortified over this proposal (H would be quadruple mortified if I had done this to him) and annoyed if H blew this money right before we were going to start planning a wedding. But it sounds like your BF is into big productions.

Have you ever planned a scavenger hunt in public areas? They don't usually go well - things go missing (taken) or get blown away.

I do like the newspaper idea (though how you're going to print that thing, I'm not sure), but I wouldn't give it to him at work. I think work is work time, and I wouldn't want all my co-workers in on my proposal. Also, I think him reading the newspaper at work in the morning and sitting around all day waiting for you to show up with a limo after work is anti-climatic and awkward timing.

If I were you, I would just hand him the newspaper over breakfast at home and tell him that you're ready now. But I'm the kind of girl who appreciates simple sincerity over a big show.

Does he read the actual paper regularly? Maybe you could place an engagement announcement in the real paper and when he comes to ask you about it tell him he has the wrong paper in hand and hand him yours? Granted, then he'd have to read the social section.
  • Options

I originally was just going to have it printed in the newspaper, but there is a great chance he would miss it. I have a way of getting an actual news paper printed for pretty cheap. Also, I was not planning to leave things out in the public. I was going to leave them with people we know around town.

I'm not to concerned about the cost (those plans still run under 300) as long as it doesn't go over 500. Since I plan on a very cheap small wedding as I only have my parents and his family is very small and neither of us see the point of an engagement party, showers, rehearsal dinners, I wanted this to be a special event.

I would do it in an intimate setting, but I know he's always loved public engagements and don't realy want to take that away from him

• Options
    I love the idea of getting a suite the night of your proposal, it'll be a great opportunity to be alone together and enjoy this next step. What if the two of you went out to breakfast/brunch together to set the tone for the day, and while the two of you are reading the regular paper over your coffee, you hand him the paper you're having made up and say something like, "Hey, I think you might be interested in this article" (obviously something more eloquent than that lol but you get the idea :)... then as he's reading and figures out what's going on you can pull out the ring and propose in front of everyone. That way he get's his public proposal and you get to see his reaction without any akward time gaps? You might even be able to set something up with the café owner to set up themed décor or something if you're looking for a bigger production. Just an idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards