DIY Wedding Forum

PLanning....HELP!

So im planning our wedding and im down to 6 months before and honestly i dont have alot done and i have no motivation to get it done.  Im not your typical bride as im not really traditional or do i care about all the tiniest details mostly ( i worked in the wedding industry for years ).  Our wedding is mostly DIY at a venue that provides just tables/chairs, nothing else.  ANyways i have several planning lists and checklists and you name it but i just cant seem to get motivated to get any of it done.  So far ihave my dress (which i bought  months ago), we have our food planned (well we have the food picked out but no table setup or decorations), we have our venue and our photographer picked out.  Thats it.  Im at a loss as to how to get motivated or how to get stuff done.  I feel like its going to come down to the wire and im gona have nothing done.... what makes it harder is im def NOT a decorator.  so i feel like i have all these ideas and pictures of things i like but i dont hink its going to come together as one cohesive whole....
anyways any ideas or help here would be appreciated.  and one more thing, id love to hire a planner but we cant afford it =/

Re: PLanning....HELP!

• In addition to your overall lists, make short daily or weekly lists and then it won't seem like so much.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • All you really NEED is you, your FI and an officiant. If you're inviting guests, you need chairs, tables and food/drink. 

If everything is DIY and you're not very motivated, keep the decorating very simple. Rent white linens and make an appointment with a florist for flowers. Let the florist do the decorating. Our delivery and set up fee with our florist was $50. Two phone calls, a meeting and boom, decorating done. 

Call a DJ and, if you like them, book them. One phone call and boom, entertainment done.

What I tried to do when I lacked motivation was to picture my wedding if the shit I needed to do didn't get done. I pictured guests walking in to bare tables, a half set-up room, bad scheduling, no idea what's going on, no music, etc. Picturing that was all I needed to get my shit done. 
    *********************************************************************************

• How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Take @addiecake 's advice and make smaller lists. Pick a project you like (ie: tablescape) and decide what it looks like and just do that. I did my flowers first.. yeah... a little unconventional but once they were done it felt so good I moved onto the next step. As long as you are doing a little each week it will all get done. My engagement to wedding will be 9 months. 6 is doable with all you have done so far. Oh... and to those projects add a couple "2 week breaks". that helped me too. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All you really NEED is you, your FI and an officiant. If you're inviting guests, you need chairs, tables and food/drink. 

If everything is DIY and you're not very motivated, keep the decorating very simple. Rent white linens and make an appointment with a florist for flowers. Let the florist do the decorating. Our delivery and set up fee with our florist was $50. Two phone calls, a meeting and boom, decorating done. 

Call a DJ and, if you like them, book them. One phone call and boom, entertainment done.

What I tried to do when I lacked motivation was to picture my wedding if the shit I needed to do didn't get done. I pictured guests walking in to bare tables, a half set-up room, bad scheduling, no idea what's going on, no music, etc. Picturing that was all I needed to get my shit done. 
    Wow!  I am taking your advice, right now! Lol!  I too have been lacking motivation but this makes me want to do EVERYTHING TODAY!  Thank you!  I think this could be great advice for someone who is stressing over the tiniest details as well, is your day going to be a catastrophe if you don't have time to fold 200 napkins into the shape of a swan with a flower in their beak?  Works with both ends of the spectrum! Lol
  • TheKnot's checklist is really helpful.  It divides those tasks out for you on a good timeline, allows you to customize it, AND gives you the satisfaction of swiping each task away as you do it.  Because it's divided out into a timeline, it might help you feel less overwhelmed and, therefore, less panicked into non-movement.  (That's how I can get so I have to keep lists and calendars.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thanks guys!  i really appreciate the responses... i know it was a whiney prolly annoying post lol i just cant seem to find the motivation.  i think mine stems from the fact that i got engaged 2 years ago, then 6 months later got pregnant and had back surgery so we postponed our wedding a year and so in total from engagement to wedding its been 2.5 years.... i think ive been thinking about it so long its just annoying at this point. lol  i just need to make smaller lists like you guys said.  i think my biggest issue is getting deocrations done.  we actually already have a dj picked out but no songs....
  • I think there is too much emphasis put on all the little details. Concentrate on what really matters and what people (and you) are going to remember and cherish for years to come. Of all the weddings I've attended, I couldn't tell you what any of their centerpieces looked like or what flavor the cake was. So don't sweat over those things. Keep it simple! It's the fun moments with your friends and family that really makes a wedding memorable and worthwhile. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • des1982des1982 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2014
    thanks Bekt14 - your totally right.  for some dumb reason i feel alot of pressure to make it super cute and make all the details just amazing... i think because im just normally that way.  like when i throw a party (for example, i recently had my sons 1st birthday) and i usually go "over the top"  now thats not to say i spend alot, im a big DIY'r and crafty person so i just do alot of cute little things....like make awesome tablescapes, etc.  people just know me for doing something super awesome esp at parties, so i feel likei have to at the wedding too.  but im realizing doing all that for a wedding is TOO MUCH work.
    damn pinterest!!!! i blame it for all my overzealous issues.

all i truely care about is if we get married, i look good, the foods good and the parties awesome lol ..... i know no one will care or remember about centerpieces, which is why ive picked the most basic of centerpieces....mason jars and candles lol.   im realizing now i do have alot done lol but i still feel like i have a TON to accomplush before then.
    another huge issue i have is finding help.... i know my fiance and i cant set up the wedding alone and its at a venue thats all DIY/bring your own stuff.... they only provide table/chairs.... so idk WHO to get help from....
    we dont have a wedding party so i dont have designated people to ask really.... and i know i can ask our families, problem is, they are VERY unreliable lol....so im worried.
  • Like someone mentioned above, hire a good florist who will take over the centerpieces and other decor for you. That's what mine is doing. I went to thrift shops and antique stores to buy assorted vases and my florist is taking them and doing the rest of the decorating for me. That's what florists are for. 
    If you have a good caterer to deal with food, then you don't have to worry about that anymore. 
    You said your dress is done. You don't have to worry about a wedding party- that's less stress.
    You've got most of the big things, so there's really not much to worry about. 
    I don't have a wedding party either, and everyone lives very far away from me so I don't have much help either. You just have to keep it simple. 
    What are specific items that you're worried about? Maybe we can come up with some good, easy ideas for you. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards