Wisconsin

Friend as our Officiant Legality question

My friend got ordained from a website for free, does anyone know if this is legit and if he can in fact really perform our wedding?

Does the minister or whoever does your wedding have to have any state license/do they have to fill out paperwork at the courthouse in regards to my wedding?

Re: Friend as our Officiant Legality question

• I'm not familiar with AMM, but our officiant (my uncle) got ordained online through the Universal Free Life Church.

If your officiant does not live in Wisconsin, he or she needs to get a letter from a clergy member of the same faith from Wisconsin.  At the Universal Free Life Church website, this can be done by purchasing the "Wisconsin Out of State Officiant Package"

We did not have to show any documentation of my uncle's ordination at the courthouse. However, we did have to put his name and address and sign a statement certifying that he is legally able to perform marriages in Wisconsin.  I am not sure if he had to submit a copy of his paperwork when he submitted our marriage license or not.

I would really recommend this website because it is easy to use and I know it is recognized by the state of Wisconsin!
  • I also don't know anything about that website, but my husband was ordained through the Universal Life Church - http://ulc.net/  to officiate a friend's wedding this past June.  He just had to fill out the paperwork and get the license mailed to the courthouse within the 3 days WI requires after the wedding.

Funny thing was when we got married, it turned out our officiant was ordained through that same "church."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards