Chit Chat

So, now that ex-FSIL won't be doing a reading at the ceremony...

Should I ask someone else? Or should I just scrap the reading? I don't want anyone to feel like second choice.

Re: So, now that ex-FSIL won't be doing a reading at the ceremony...

• Would they know they'd be second choice? I don't think there's much harm in B-listing a reader since normally nobody even knows who those people are or expects to be selected by a certain date. But there's also nothing wrong with scrapping the reading.

• How much do you care about this reading?  If it is super important to both you and your FI then ask someone else.  If not, then scrap it.

• Not many people knew she was doing a reading. It's not super important to us. But now I worry the ceremony will be too short. 
  • Not many people knew she was doing a reading. It's not super important to us. But now I worry the ceremony will be too short. 
    Don't do something (reading, unity candle, sand ceremony, etc) just to lengthen the ceremony; if it's there, it should be important. 

That said, I think some churches (Catholic churches, that I know of) require readings at wedding ceremonies. I don't think it's wrong to replace a reader, just do it for the right reasons. 
  • Maybe you can just have the officiant do the reading. Would FSIL out you and tell everyone she was supposed to do the reading and make it a big deal? If the officiant can also do the reading, I think it'll avoid the previous scenario without needing to change the ceremony itself.
    Don't do something (reading, unity candle, sand ceremony, etc) just to lengthen the ceremony; if it's there, it should be important. 

That said, I think some churches (Catholic churches, that I know of) require readings at wedding ceremonies. I don't think it's wrong to replace a reader, just do it for the right reasons. 
    We're not religious and are having no religious aspects included in our ceremony. No unity candle or anything like that. Our ceremony is out our venue in their garden. 

I didn't choose her to do a reading just to lengthen the ceremony. She actually is an amazing writer and I asked her to write something for us. but again, that won't be happening now. 

I do have some poems that I adore and I think it would be cool to have them read. 
  • Maybe you can just have the officiant do the reading. Would FSIL out you and tell everyone she was supposed to do the reading and make it a big deal? If the officiant can also do the reading, I think it'll avoid the previous scenario without needing to change the ceremony itself.
    Ex-FSIL is now in a psych ward, so I don't think she'll be out before the wedding. There's no much of a chance she'll out me. 
  • It's okay. I will compose an original poem, write it on a chalkboard in a cutesy font, then read it at your wedding - but only if I can come in head-to-toe burlap.
    ~*~*~*~*~

We're not religious and are having no religious aspects included in our ceremony. No unity candle or anything like that. Our ceremony is out our venue in their garden. 

I didn't choose her to do a reading just to lengthen the ceremony. She actually is an amazing writer and I asked her to write something for us. but again, that won't be happening now. 

I do have some poems that I adore and I think it would be cool to have them read. 
    "Adore" = important to me. As long as FI is on board, go for it then!

Also, I read what happened to Ex-FSIL. Yikes. It stinks that you won't have the reading she wrote you, but if it's important to you and FI to have something said at the ceremony, I don't think it's wrong (given the circumstances) to have someone else do the reading/poem.
  • It's okay. I will compose an original poem, write it on a chalkboard in a cutesy font, then read it at your wedding - but only if I can come in head-to-toe burlap.
    Your are a life-saver girl! Can we put you in this sack and have you hop down the aisle??

Oh, heck yea! Do you want me to man the guest book and honeymoon jar too, or should I just read my saccharine-sweet cutesy poem before MCing the dollar dance?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• edited August 2014
    It's okay. I will compose an original poem, write it on a chalkboard in a cutesy font, then read it at your wedding - but only if I can come in head-to-toe burlap.
    Your are a life-saver girl! Can we put you in this sack and have you hop down the aisle??

Oh, heck yea! Do you want me to man the guest book and honeymoon jar too, or should I just read my saccharine-sweet cutesy poem before MCing the dollar dance?
    Oh, you also have to cut and serve the cake. Smooches!

Anything for you, girl! Just don't forget to put out a tip jar for me!
    ~*~*~*~*~

If you need extra help let me know I found the perfect dress! image
  • Have the reader and reading only if you want that as part of your ceremony. Your FSIL and all that happened with her should have no bearing on what choice you make now re your ceremony.
  • afox007 said:
    It's okay. I will compose an original poem, write it on a chalkboard in a cutesy font, then read it at your wedding - but only if I can come in head-to-toe burlap.

Hey, I found the best earrings for that dress!
  • afox007 said:

OMG, why didn't I find all this stuff before *my* wedding?! I would be SO HONORED if you'd let me be your burlap-clad, Pinterest-inspired, not-good-enough-to-be-a-brideslave-but-still-needs-to-be-given-a-pointless-job-anyway guest!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• afox007 said:

OMG, why didn't I find all this stuff before *my* wedding?! I would be SO HONORED if you'd let me be your burlap-clad, Pinterest-inspired, not-good-enough-to-be-a-brideslave-but-still-needs-to-be-given-a-pointless-job-anyway guest!

SITB

Cookie Pusher don't forget we still need to get our hair and make up done in case we get honored enough to be a part of a picture like this. I think a candid shot like this would HAVE to be hung on the wall!

• Omg. That picture. Hahahahaha! 
  • We are two and a half weeks out, and have not asked our readers yet (since we just picked the readings yesterday). Asking someone else = totally okay.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    We are two and a half weeks out, and have not asked our readers yet (since we just picked the readings yesterday). Asking someone else = totally okay.
    Oh crap. That means I need to figure out readings too.

And this thread is KILLING ME.

• We asked our readers about a month out (once we got their RSVPs) since we didn't want to pressure anyone. I think, with 2 weeks left to go, you can still ask someone if you want to have another reading. As long as you and FI are on the same page about it, it shouldn't be a problem.

But seriously, I'll hop around in that burlap sack and read whatever you want if you send some pastries for DH. heh
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I would either have your officiant read it or scrap it all-together.  I wouldn't want to make the person you asked feel like they were second choice, which they probably would as things always get out.
  • afox007 said:

Pssssh this is where it's at:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards