Wedding Invitations & Paper

wording

the issue with invitations is that the traditional syntax seems too formal or stand off-ish to come across as a family celebration. I would prefer the wording to let the guests know the ceremony and reception will be a blend of traditional with off-beat quirks from our interests and personalities thrown in. hence my invitation wording would be more short, humorous and to the point e.g. 'Give us a hand. We're getting hitched!' along with our names, date, time, venue. Any suggestions on how to marry the offbeat with the traditional in the invitation wording?

Re: wording

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    lupinaria said:
    the issue with invitations is that the traditional syntax seems too formal or stand off-ish to come across as a family celebration. I would prefer the wording to let the guests know the ceremony and reception will be a blend of traditional with off-beat quirks from our interests and personalities thrown in. hence my invitation wording would be more short, humorous and to the point e.g. 'Give us a hand. We're getting hitched!' along with our names, date, time, venue. Any suggestions on how to marry the offbeat with the traditional in the invitation wording?
    No ideas to offer, sorry.

I'm sorry that you don't like the traditional wording, but I've heard about too many instances where being quirky and humorous in the wording of a wedding invitation confused the guests as to what they were actually being invited to.

Wedding invitations have specified purposes.  They are not meant to "honor" anyone other than the guests, map out the family tree, indicate who paid for what, or showcase the egos of the senders.  They are meant to inform the guests that a specific type of event is happening at a specified location and time and the guests are being honored by being asked to attend.  Nothing more, nothing less.  No "cuteness," "humor," "quirkiness," etc.  Save those elements for the reception-not the invitation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards