Wedding Woes

Mom Troubles

hggy15hggy15 member
First Comment
edited August 2014 in Wedding Woes

Re: Mom Troubles

• So, you already know your mother's behavior.  This is her being defensive about having done what she wanted to, despite your instructions and despite your feelings.  She's lashing back to make you the victim.

Stop playing.  Don't tell her anything anymore.  Just b/c it's your wedding doesn't mean your mother is going to behave any different than she has for however many other years of your life.  So, work on changing your response and your behavior and walk away from her.
  • Scribe95: You do have a point, I could have avoided this situation if I hadn't tried to keep things quiet. My fiancé wanted to wait until he had given me the ring (he's saving up for it) to make the announcement and I was respecting his wishes by not telling anyone except my parents.

VarunaTT: You're right, she's been this way with me for 27 years why change now. The wedding is very special to me and I thought it was supposed to be the one time in my life I get to care deeply about something and not have my feelings belittled. But clearly I was being unrealistic, I will be much more careful about what I discuss with her from now on.

• Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.  Who said that, Mark Twain?  Too lazy to Google, but if it wasn't Mark Twain, it should have been.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards