Wisconsin
Options

Reasonable Price for a Photographer?

How much is everyone spending on a photographer?  
We found one that we both love and photography is something that I want to put a little more money into BUT my FI's dad doesn't like the price.  The package we are looking at is about $2500 with the travel fee and tax, it's 9 hours of coverage with the rights to the photos, retouching and an online viewing gallery.  He doesn't understand why there are no prints or albums included in the package or why we don't want to go with a cheaper photographer whos pictures are not as nice.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Are we spending too much?

Re: Reasonable Price for a Photographer?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I posted this as a response to a similar post below, and it may help here:

We paid about 3K, 2 years ago, for our wedding.  Pictures were VERY important to me as that's really the only thing you have for memories after your day is over.  (I also much prefer photos over videography).

The thing to remember is that you get what you pay for.  Don't judge a photographer soley on what you see on their website - they will obviously only put the best photos up.  You might get an idea of their style, but to know what they are truely capable of, you should be asking to see entire shoots from numerous weddings.

You want to make sure that you are getting a quality photographer, one who actually knows how to use their equipment - not just someone with a fancy camera.  You also want someone who can do great post editing after ... this means that the pictures will still look natural, not just being able to do fancy tricks to the pictures.

Take a look at what you get for the price.  For 3K we got 2 photographers (excellent quaily each), 8 hours shooting each, post processing edtiting, all imaged on DVD with the rights tor print, and a photo album, a coffee table style book.

I know that the type of book that we got, flush mounted pages, leather cover, etc. retails for a 200-400, most photographers would sell that DVD and rights to print for upwards of 250-500... so 3K minus all that, minus taxes, divided by 2 photographers for 8 hours plus all the time to post edit them, that came to be a very reasonable "per hour" to pay.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you are spending too much. If photographer is important to you then you move thing around so you can afford what you want.

I'm paying about $450 for mine, but that is because I want a photobooth at the reception( extra $1000) and FI doesn't think we need to spend a lot of money on photographer.

I would recommend taking a look at your budget and seeing if there is something not as important to you, that you can cut back on.

HTH!

P.S. I have looked into professional photographers and I've seen packages way more then $2500 in Wisconsin:)
  • Options
    lizm336lizm336 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! That makes me feel better. If only I could make his dad understand!
  • Options
    breannalynnbreannalynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you're paying too much at all!  I agree that you really get what you pay for with a photographer.  We looked at a lot of different photographers and $2500 was definitely on the lower end.  I think you should show him how expensive some photographers are and maybe he'll be more understanding?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are payin $1,700, getting rights to the photos, and bound wedding albums. Your price seems to be right on the mark for what I have seen.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had set myself a budget of $2,000 for my wedding photographer and booked my photographer out of Waterford for $1850 I am getting my entire wedding day photographed, an album and a DVD/release. Take a look at her site, I was impressed with her portfolio and thought it was really creative. On a side note when we booked a month ago she was promoting all 2011 weddings with a free engagement session.

www.katietomanphotography.om

Good luck!
  • Options
    alyssalowealyssalowe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photography is important to us but with a 5k budget for 150+ people we couldnt afford much towards it. We are paying about 500 for ours.  We are getting two photographers and one videographer (three people) for ten hours. Rights to our photos, a bunch of printed photos (75, can double for 30 bucks more), dvd of video (one with all footage and one edited), cd with all photos (edited) and it includes their traveling fee.

We are using Blue Bamboo Photography, www.milwaukeeonfilm.com. They recently bumped prices a little from what I hear my same package is appx 1000 right now. They are just starting out as a group but all have individual experience so there are not alot of pictures online and are steadily booking. A friend of mine used them and got her pictures last week and the wedding was about a month ago (avg wait I think) and her photos look great!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using http://www.adamtphotography.com/ I like his pictures and his price is very reasonable. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SweetCharadeSweetCharade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's almost exactly what I'm paying for my photographer. She had more expensive packages that did include an album but I wanted to make my own album. We also paid an extra for $295 for an engagement session to get to know her before the wedding, and they turned out amazing. To me, photography was the one place that I didn't want to cut corners because after the flowers have died and the food and the cake have been eaten, the photos will be the one thing that's left from that day.
  • Options
    mkate428mkate428 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would highly suggest Riitta Kulinski.  We are getting 6 hours with 2 photographers, our album, 2 parents albums, engagement session, and free sittings for a lifetime (later for kids, etc.) for only $1950 and I love her work!

www.photobyrk.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Our package is priced at $2400 through Rita Baumann Photography.  It includes 2 photographers, 10 hours of coverage the day of, an engagement session, online proofing, proof book, high res DVD or USB thumb drive, $1500 album/print credit, slideshow at the wedding of pictures taken earlier in the day, ipod touch loaded with all pictures, and a basic family studio (kind of like a man-made photobooth/portrait studio type of thing) at the wedding for 2 hours.  They also come to the rehearsal and photograph the rehearsal to get acquainted with the family and wedding party, as well as the location.  GREAT deal if you ask me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards