Wedding Party
Options

Tux Question

I know nothing about Tux rentals and my FI knows even less :)  We have two members of the bridal party who are large guys.. My brother and his brother.

Someone said something to me the other day and it's got me wondering... Would a slim fit cut tux look ok on these guys? Does anyone know for sure? I know a lot of the gray ones we are looking at are slim cut. We don't want anyone uncomfortable.

Re: Tux Question

• Options
    I think slim cuts look off on broad shouldered men. They are already broad, and then the thin lapels and narrow cuts made them look disproportionately so. It is like spaghetti straps on broad shouldered women, only emphasizes the width, whereas a thicker strap keeps everything in proportion.

You didn't ask about the grey, but I think it is going to be our generation's powder blue tux. My dad's powder blue tux was all the rage when he and my mom got married, but now it looks dated. The same thing is going to happen with the grey. Black is classic and will be timeless.
    ALL of this. 

QFT because I can't love it more than once.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I think slim cuts look off on broad shouldered men. They are already broad, and then the thin lapels and narrow cuts made them look disproportionately so. It is like spaghetti straps on broad shouldered women, only emphasizes the width, whereas a thicker strap keeps everything in proportion.

You didn't ask about the grey, but I think it is going to be our generation's powder blue tux. My dad's powder blue tux was all the rage when he and my mom got married, but now it looks dated. The same thing is going to happen with the grey. Black is classic and will be timeless.
    ALL of this. 

Really?  Does it apply to all shades of grey?

We went looking this past weekend.  FI had wanted linen, but our wedding is at 6:00, so between the evening wedding and wrinkles, we just weren't feeling the linen.  He was actually really drawn to the grey, and I thought it looked great.  But I don't want to be tacky....

Does it make a difference that were only looking at suits, not actual tuxes?

• Options

ALL of this. 

We went looking this past weekend.  FI had wanted linen, but our wedding is at 6:00, so between the evening wedding and wrinkles, we just weren't feeling the linen.  He was actually really drawn to the grey, and I thought it looked great.  But I don't want to be tacky....

In my opinion (and it really is just my opinion and prediction), the grey that I'm picturing is that light grey everyone is using right now. Like:
    I think you could get away with a dark charcoal grey. Like:

In your case (sorry for the threadjack, OP), I agree with you 100% that linen is a terrible choice for a wedding. It wrinkles WAY to easily. If you're going the suit route, I would buy (not rent) a nice black or dark charcoal suit. That's a classic staple that can be worn again and again. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Ah, thank you so much @southernbelle0915 I think we are in the clear. We were looking at darker grey suits to purchase. We are still browsing though, so I will definitely encourage FI to look at black suits.

The thing is, he's weird and thinks that if he wears black it has to be a tux... I will have to show him pictures to prove regular, non-tux black suits are good!

• Options
    loveislouderloveislouder member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    My FI is a bigger guy, not huge - like, 5'11 and 220 lbs... a bit of a ponch, so to say.  We had him try on a suit with slim fit pants and he looks like those guys that skip leg day. (see picture)

http://fuzzywuze.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/upper-body-no-legs.png
  • Options

HAHAH the post about leg day made me laugh. As far as the gray tux's. Each to their own, we were thinking the darker gray. My dad as well as FI's dad were married in white :) (mom said thats what they did then.) That was the rage when they were getting married. So nothing is really timeless it's all about someone's style.  No matter what the tux's are when my kids are my age they will look at my photos and laugh. Things change. In the 90's it was BIG shoulders and bows on the butt. So go with what you and your FI like.

Back to my question :) Thanks gals for answering. I was worried about that top heavy look and I do not want them uncomfortable.

• Options

HAHAH the post about leg day made me laugh. As far as the gray tux's. Each to their own, we were thinking the darker gray. My dad as well as FI's dad were married in white :) (mom said thats what they did then.) That was the rage when they were getting married. So nothing is really timeless it's all about someone's style.  No matter what the tux's are when my kids are my age they will look at my photos and laugh. Things change. In the 90's it was BIG shoulders and bows on the butt. So go with what you and your FI like.

Back to my question :) Thanks gals for answering. I was worried about that top heavy look and I do not want them uncomfortable.

You can pick whatever you want, of course. I'm sure he'll look great!

Generally, though, I think there is such a thing as timeless style and trendy style. IMHO colored tuxes are trendy and date photos. If someone doesn't care, that's great! A black tux is timeless style - as long as the dude isn't pairing it with a ruffled or colored shirt... lol! It's all about preference, but there's definitely a difference.

• Options
    Tuxes should only ever be black and worn after 6pm.

Gray suits are IMO perfectly acceptable.
  • Options

ALL of this. 

I don't have much opinion on tuxes since FI does not want to wear one. But grey suits are ABSOLUTELY classic and fine to wear. Fiance will probably wear his medium grey suit. I can't think of anyone on the knot who has ever said otherwise. 
  • Options
    I personally hate slim cut suits and tuxes, and skinny ties *gag*

I don't like white or light grey tuxes/suits either. . . reminds me too much of Prom or Vegas or something, don't ask me why.  I think black or charcoal grey tuxes/suits look really nice.

Tuxes should only ever be black and worn after 6pm.

Gray suits are IMO perfectly acceptable.
    Yeah for the most part, no one knows this is a "rule," follows it, nor cares. 

I know that technically it is correct, but it's one of those things that doesn't harm anyone and that most ppl outside of the Royal Family don't give a shit about ;-)

And personally, I think that even if you are getting married in the afternoon, if your ceremony is being held in a very fancy church or cathedral or venue, and the Bride is wearing a very fancy and formal gown, that suits just look out of place and don't match the formality.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    I think slim cuts are great for people like my fiance... who is slim! He is slim and lanky, and normal cut suits are too boxy on him. Slim cuts make him look manlier/ his shoulders broader and his waist smaller...they give him that great v shape. My brother, however, is thin but broad shouldered. Slim cuts just look weird on him.
  • Options

Thanks everyone. We went yesterday to look at some.. they actually had NONE in a modern fit in Grey. They cautioned putting larger men in slim cut Tux's.  We love the dark grey look I also really like the suits but FI isn't sure. It's sad we have 3 places to pick from within 45miles.. and one is already out.  Good luck to everyone else. :)

• Options
    Grey suits are fine. Grey tuxes will go out of style soonish.

If you are doing suits, I would skip trying to find one suit for everyone, and ask the GMs to wear grey suits of their own choosing. We did this and it looked great, and saved us from spending time finding something everyone liked and could afford.
    I love that idea!  We're having mismatched bridesmaid dresses, so that could be a nice look.

I also know that my groom and at least 2 GMs don't have grey suits, so they will need to be purchased.  Thankfully, Jos A Bank has tons of good deals, and we can pick up the tab if we need to.  I know this was someone else's thread, but it has been so helpful.  Thanks, ladies! :)

• Options

If you are doing suits, I would skip trying to find one suit for everyone, and ask the GMs to wear grey suits of their own choosing. We did this and it looked great, and saved us from spending time finding something everyone liked and could afford.
    I love that idea!  We're having mismatched bridesmaid dresses, so that could be a nice look.

I also know that my groom and at least 2 GMs don't have grey suits, so they will need to be purchased.  Thankfully, Jos A Bank has tons of good deals, and we can pick up the tab if we need to.  I know this was someone else's thread, but it has been so helpful.  Thanks, ladies! :)
    A few of our GM had to buy, they went together to take advantage of the buy one, get one 50% off deals JosA Bank and Men's Warehouse offer.
  • Options

A few of our GM had to buy, they went together to take advantage of the buy one, get one 50% off deals JosA Bank and Men's Warehouse offer.
    Yes, we plan to take advantage of something like that!

• Options
    We're going with charcoal gray for our groomsmen and a lighter gray for the groom. They're all wearing the same thing, just two different shades. My dad is the only one wearing black and he looks extremely mature in it - not the look we're going for. Not only that, but the bridesmaids are wearing navy and that all seemed much too dark to me. Whatever you chose, I'm sure it'll be great!
  • Options
    Tuxedos are BLACK.  Period.  Anything else is a temporary fad.  I remember polyester baby blue tuxedos in 1975.

If you want the grey look, go with a nice two piece suit. a white shirt and a long tie.  Classic!  Cost is about the same, and the guys get to keep the suits for other uses - like job interviews.  The suits do not need to match exactly.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

ALL of this. 

YES!  It makes a huge difference!
    Tuxedos are black!  They are worn after 6:00 PM.

Suits are grey, charcoal. navy, or black.  They can be worn at any time of day or evening.  Vests are optional, but they should be of the same fabric as the suit, not satin to match bridesmaids dresses.  (Ugh!)  They should be worn with white dress shirts and long ties.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Tuxedos are BLACK.  Period.  Anything else is a temporary fad.  I remember polyester baby blue tuxedos in 1975.

If you want the grey look, go with a nice two piece suit. a white shirt and a long tie.  Classic!  Cost is about the same, and the guys get to keep the suits for other uses - like job interviews.  The suits do not need to match exactly.
    This is exactly our plan.  Thank you.

Very glad to see you here.  Does this mean the eyes are feeling better?  Thinking of you!

• Options
    No.  I bored, so I'm squinting at the screen.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

If one of the bigger guys is available to go with you to try them on, I would recommend that. My husband is a bigger guy 5'10 and I thing about 330 at the wedding and on of our GM was 6'3 & 200+. So we based our choices on what looked on those two.

• Options
    I equate larger men in a slim cut suit like a larger woman in skinny jeans, it just doesn't work well with their body type.

Also, tuxes should only ever be black.  Suits, have fun with the colors, but tuxes should be black.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards